Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MXZ 24 or G23 Purchase

aoblak

Bama: I know you only have love for BU but seriously a Mojo looks a whole lot more like a MXz than a G ever will!

Nice to see people actually on the crew site that actually give their true opinions on that boat.

Bama - I've got a S/C motor in my 247 and it is amazing. Haven't driven one with anything else but the power and responsiveness is incredible. Definitely go check it out if you can. I'm guessing it will be hard to go back the other way once you've tried it.

As to your comments about the G23, I just don't get how you can't see why many (clearly not all) people would like that boat. Layout and space is great, quality is outstanding and despite the comments about it looking like a pig, not everyone feels that way. Does it look like a Malibu? Of course not but not sure how you come to the conclusion its so ugly that nobody else will like it. I feel more that way about the MXZ with the ugly pickle fork nose.

So nyryan - have you made a decision yet?

Edited by jrz1

You are right, i do have a tendency to put on my Malibu glasses. Before I bought my first Malibu I was dead set on a sante 210. l don't mind the straighter lines of nautique. I guess my only thing wrong with the g line is that they just don't look like a classic inboard to me - low to the water, flatter hull, sleek looking. i have no problems with the interior on the g. It is just the huge side profile that turns me off. I have no doubts that it will perform and last forever. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a pull behind one! Sorry if I offended anyone's purchase decision.

Another thing I have noticed - nautique owners don't seem to get too hyped up about poking fun at their boats on wake world. Seems like it is mostly mc and tige owners that get their hair on end. I like messing with those peeps. LMAO

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Bama, that's funny before I bought my Sante I was dealing on a VLX! But never even made it out for a water test. Not that the BU was better or worse it came down to the Nauti dealer was incredibly easy to deal with and very down to earth and well the BU dealer not so much!

The closest nautique dealer to me was 2 hours away. I couldn't find time to get up there for a test drive so I figured that i wouldn't be able to have much of a relationship from that distance either. LOL

• 1 month later...

I was convinced I was going to buy a G23 until I test drove one next to a 247MXZ. No comparison in how they drove. Malibu hands down. The Malibu drove like a sports car and the G23 was more like a Mastercraft X45. The throttle on the G23 was stiff. They still use cables. Malibu is electronic. The stock wake on the G23 was impressive and the surf wake was good - better than the full ballast of the Malibu with no extra sacks. The surf gate and the NCS both worked well other than the spray across the platform of the MXZ. No spray on a LSV. Besides the cost, one of the deciding factors for me was room on the Malibu and the realization that we are weekend warriors and not pros. If I was a pro wakeboarder, the G23 is a no brainer. I pull a lot of kids. As much as I hate tubes, it's a reality and I can't even imagine pulling them across those G23 wakes with no ballast. They would seriously be airborne which usually results in injures. Both are beautiful boats and each has their advantages/disadvantages. For us it came down to buying the boat that fit our family needs the best. By the way, I ended up buying a 247 LSV because it surfs better than the MXZ, especially with the extra 900 lbs of ballast on each side.

Pretty sure the Gs use fly by wire throttle, so the stickiness must have been something else. I've got a G25 I haven't driven yet and came from a 247. Easy for me to imagine the new G will not drive near as well as the 247 as it's handling was just so incredible. I made the decision to move based on other factors that to me, for my uses, weighed in favor of the Nautique. I will miss the 247's slotcar handling though.

Interesting you ended up with the 247, that is a big boat! Would love to see pics of the wave once you get it all figured out... I don't think anyone has posted pics of a sac'd out 247 LSV Surf Gate wave yet.

Pretty sure the Gs use fly by wire throttle, so the stickiness must have been something else. I've got a G25 I haven't driven yet and came from a 247. Easy for me to imagine the new G will not drive near as well as the 247 as it's handling was just so incredible. I made the decision to move based on other factors that to me, for my uses, weighed in favor of the Nautique. I will miss the 247's slotcar handling though.

Let's get a pic of the board and surf wake sacked out!

Damn boat is still in the stereo shop! Hopefully ready in next week. I'm tied up this weekend anyway or it would be driving me nuts.

His comments in regards to the throttle and

Slow speeds are legit.

"Stiff" is actually normal throttle. Malibu throttle by wire is awesome.... But that doesn't mean every other boat throttle that's not by wire is stiff. But yes, not as smooth a Malibu throttle by wire.

Left turns at idle speeds have a large turn radius. Larger than I expected, larger than my 247 was. On the reciprocal, right turns are exceptionally right, tighter than the 247. I guess it's the prop rotation, I donno.

Coming from a 247 surf monster I had high expectations... I've got 18hrs on the G23 with NSS... Still learning the boat and dialing it in..... But fairly certain I am already beyond what I was able to do with the 247, and its easier to do. I am a tough customer... Still currently 100% thrilled with it and how it performs.

• Like 1

Ryan - MLA is also in process of installing the 2 1100 lb sacs in the rear lockers. Kids have kart races this week or I'd be hovering over his shoulder to get it done by tomorrow night. Next weekend.....

the "hard to find neutral gear" is an engineering difference between malibu and CC. coming from the 247 I thought the same... not what you think though. you've been trained by Malibu to push your thottle button in to go to neutral.... not necessary in the G's.

on the G23, no need to engage the slip ring to go to neutral like the button on the Malibus.... just pull it straight back hard, fast, slow whatever....and it will lock to neutral. And it wont go into reverse if you were to pull too hard. Unless you have the slip ring lifted.

15hrs in and I just realized this and it was awkward those first few outtings.....I was having the slip ring engaged coming off throttle and yes... it can be delicate to find.

Its not a Malibu. Dont use the slip ring when coming off throttle to neutral, it'll lock right to neutral like you would expect.

I have no experience in a G23 or G25, but the Malibu throttle, both older Morse and new ZF electronic slide into neutral without any button pushing. The lockout mechanism is only to prevent going into gear, not coming out of gear.

Peter

• Like 2

the "hard to find neutral gear" is an engineering difference between malibu and CC. coming from the 247 I thought the same... not what you think though. you've been trained by Malibu to push your thottle button in to go to neutral.... not necessary in the G's.

on the G23, no need to engage the slip ring to go to neutral like the button on the Malibus.... just pull it straight back hard, fast, slow whatever....and it will lock to neutral. And it wont go into reverse if you were to pull too hard. Unless you have the slip ring lifted.

15hrs in and I just realized this and it was awkward those first few outtings.....I was having the slip ring engaged coming off throttle and yes... it can be delicate to find.

Its not a Malibu. Dont use the slip ring when coming off throttle to neutral, it'll lock right to neutral like you would expect.

What in the world are you talking about?

I demo'd G23 today, with the 6.0L 450hp PCM. VERY impressive. understand the G23 is almost 6000lb 23ft boat. basically same weight as the 247. IMO it handled like a 21 or 22ft boat, very tight, punchy, maneuverable and responsive for being such a big heavy wakeboat. and I drove it like a madman to put it thru its paces empty and with full ballast. not even completed filled with 2800lbs ballast did it handle like a barge. F'n straight launched out of the water from a dead start. Very little bow rise and very little risk of dipping the bow under waves when full . and believe me I know barge driving with a slammed 247 setup for surf. YES, back off hard off the throttle fast with full ballast and you will have a roller wash water over the transom walkthru and splash some forward, I tried to make it do it and it did. Not the biggest deal, maybe 3gals of water? Show me a Malibu that wont take a wave(10,20, 30gals?) over the bow when sac'd out. we've all learned how to drive to avoid that. same applies unless you are a fanboy with something to gain and cant make an objective assessment.

Now, with that said, I have NOT driven the MXZ24. I do have 150+hrs behind a 247.

His comments in regards to the throttle and

Slow speeds are legit.

"Stiff" is actually normal throttle. Malibu throttle by wire is awesome.... But that doesn't mean every other boat throttle that's not by wire is stiff. But yes, not as smooth a Malibu throttle by wire.

Left turns at idle speeds have a large turn radius. Larger than I expected, larger than my 247 was. On the reciprocal, right turns are exceptionally right, tighter than the 247. I guess it's the prop rotation, I donno.

Coming from a 247 surf monster I had high expectations... I've got 18hrs on the G23 with NSS... Still learning the boat and dialing it in..... But fairly certain I am already beyond what I was able to do with the 247, and its easier to do. I am a tough customer... Still currently 100% thrilled with it and how it performs.

Posted on Planet Nautique:

"LEFT turns at slow idle speeds are certainly into the barge like category with the G23, I assume from the direction of the prop rotation. I came from a big boat... so I know barge driving... turn radius left is kinda bad, especially in tight areas in marinas, docks etc."

I'm getting very confused with your review. First it handles like a 21 footer, very "punchy" and "maneuverable", then comes 5/1 planet nautique post that you do think it is "into the barge-like category", and today you say it "Left turns at idle speeds have a large turn radius. Larger than I expected" after you TEST-DROVE the boat and came on here saying how great it handled and it (never) handled "like a barge". I'm very confused with your assessment. I also don't see how its not apples and oranges considering the weight you ran in the 247 with the 6.0, which is borderline grossly underpowered, especially with relatively steep props malibu uses whereas your G23 obviously has far more horsepower and apparently comes with a prop (2313) which is but a 12" pitch, the lowest pitched prop ACME even makes.

By the way, prop rotation has nothing to do with your turning hypothesis. The 2419 and 2315 you refer to using are both left handed props, as are all Malibus.

yet another character attack, well done. I wouldnt expect anything less 85 neither would anyone else on here at this point. Like we know where Nitrous stands on the 350s... EVERYONE knows where you stand that everyone other boat brand is garbage. Overly protective and insecure.

My statements match up and are consistent...look them. folks know I will call a spade a spade which is why I get PMs all the time clarifying different points... that first review was a demo after 30 mins in the boat, most relating to the power...as it being a dog and too underpowered while sac'd out, as you can see not the case.... and then after some time 18hrs in it i clearly articulated how left turns were wider than expected. I have no problems outlining pros/cons of any brand. Ya you really got me on this one.

I dont have anything to gain... no discounts or hookups.... DO YOU?????????????????

The real joke recently if there ever was one about folks is your review of your amazing stock surfwake vs the reality pics. But I could care less... few folks take seriously anything you post unless its techical, mechanical or something along those lines. You are a smart guy and know Malibus well...but everyone knows you have ZERO credibility in anything related to a serious discussion pros/cons.

I have no experience in a G23 or G25, but the Malibu throttle, both older Morse and new ZF electronic slide into neutral without any button pushing. The lockout mechanism is only to prevent going into gear, not coming out of gear.

Peter

Gotcha, I may have that wrong.... what I am getting at is lifting the slip ring when throttling down is what causes the neutral to be hard to find. I am not sure why I was doing it to beging with...i think because it is stiffer coming from the Malibu... I assumed it was necessary.

yet another character attack, well done. I wouldnt expect anything less 85 neither would anyone else on here at this point. Like we know where Nitrous stands on the 350s... EVERYONE knows where you stand that everyone other boat brand is garbage. Overly protective and insecure.

My statements match up and are consistent...look them. folks know I will call a spade a spade which is why I get PMs all the time clarifying different points... that first review was a demo after 30 mins in the boat, most relating to the power...as it being a dog and too underpowered while sac'd out, as you can see not the case.... and then after some time 18hrs in it i clearly articulated how left turns were wider than expected. I have no problems outlining pros/cons of any brand. Ya you really got me on this one.

I dont have anything to gain... no discounts or hookups.... DO YOU?????????????????

The real joke recently if there ever was one about folks is your review of your amazing stock surfwake vs the reality pics. But I could care less... few folks take seriously anything you post unless its techical, mechanical or something along those lines. You are a smart guy and know Malibus well...but everyone knows you have ZERO credibility in anything related to a serious discussion pros/cons.

Where'd I say anything was garbage in this thread? I simply pointed out your reviews have changed dramatically (which they obviously have) and that your hypothesis about prop rotation is incorrect. That's not a character attack. It's simply stating the obvious.

As to your suggestion that anything I say is motivated by a "hookup", 3 of my last 5 boats have been bought used, all out of state (read: NO dealer involvement). That said, I do support Malibu on here, privately, everywhere. I've had nothing but outstanding boats. I'm a loyal customer as the products have been great to me. Would I think I have a great relationship with my dealer given I've worked with him for more than a decade, sure. Do I think being a long-term customer helps with my pricing, I'd think so. Does that have a hill of beans relevance to anything I have ever said on here? Absolutely not.

As to the "joke" of my surf review of the stock VTX, I've surfed behind a lot of boats, not all, but a lot, and I've logged several thousands of hours driving inboards of all brands (EDIT: maybe not all, just Malibu, Correct Craft, Mastercraft, Supreme, Hydrodyne, Centurion, MB, Calabria, Axis, Ski Pro, Infinity, and Moomba (surprisingly, I cannot recall driving a Tige or Supra) for more than 20 years. I'm a former sponsored wakeboarder, collegiate 3-event skier, college ski club driver (with Nautique-provided boats), USAWS certified driver and tournament official, and have done just about everything on the water year in year out for decades. Does that make my opinions "right"? Nope, it's still just an opinion. Do I have "credibility"? Maybe not with you, and that's OK, but I don't think you speak for everyone as your post would suggest ("EVERYONE knows you have zero credibility...") . Since the number of people who have first hand experience with a surfgated VTX who have posted on here is all of one to my knowledge (me), you're welcome to think whatever you want as to my "credibility", but until you have the first hand experience I do, publicly stating anything I've opined on is a joke is quite a leap. Nonetheless, I hope you still have a good weekend on your new boat.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

..... I've logged several thousands of hours driving inboards of all brands (EDIT: maybe not all, just Malibu, Correct Craft, Mastercraft, Supreme, Hydrodyne, Centurion, MB, Calabria, Axis, Ski Pro, Infinity, and Moomba (surprisingly, I cannot recall driving a Tige or Supra) for more than 20 years. I'm a former sponsored wakeboarder, collegiate 3-event skier, college ski club driver (with Nautique-provided boats), USAWS certified driver and tournament official, and have done just about everything on the water year in year out for decades. Does that make my opinions "right"? Nope, it's still just an opinion. Do I have "credibility"? ......

FWIW, you now have credibility with me. I wish I could spend that kind of time on the water!

I have to say I love the sea deck and green color they are using on the Nautique Team Edition. Also, the team edition rug is awesome too. The lines on the Malibu are are very sporty. They both are really nice sport boats!