Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hard to see my VLX go... now time to pick something new!

IXFE

Based upon your location, I'm guessing you are referring to Wizard Lake Marine. I just checked out a few VLX boats on their site and they were indeed all diamond hull.

As a side note, I love their website (along with Saskatoon Water Sports)--it has been invaluable for helping me pick the options and color scheme of my own boat. These two dealers provide lots of high resolution pictures for all their in stock (and recently sold in the case of SWS) boats, which is a larger number of boats, and they provide the build sheets (window sticker) on their website so you can confirm what you are seeing. The build-a-boat feature on Malibu's website just isn't the same as seeing a high res picture of a real boat.

Awesome websites!!! Why don't any of the American dealers do this?

Edited by Cory

So I feel the need to "defend" my Diamond decision...

First of all, to the guy who wants to beat my a$$, this is a VLX, not an LSV. Not sure if that makes a difference to you, but I figured I'd correct the record.

Next point... I understand the core wakeboarders who say they'd never buy a Diamond. You don't ski... I get it. My wife does, so I have to consider that. I've had three boats in a row that were lousy ski experiences (TWB, F21, VLX wake). Forgive me for wanting to make the experience a little better for her.

Next point... I also understand the resale argument. In some cases, it could bite me. But it could also make me for the guy who wants a Diamond hull. My guess is that the majority don't know the difference, so I'm not too worried about it.

I did my homework guys (beyond this forum), and here are the reasons I got comfortable with the Diamond:

• I talked to Malibu regional sales rep who is a BIG believer in the Diamond. He swears there is no difference at wake and surf speeds. He was in the boat when they did the infamous 4 pro, blind taste test.
  • I talked to long-time Malibu designer/engineer. He swears there is no difference at wake and surf speeds. He said the factory did their own blind taste test with Shapiro and one other pro (the name escapes me), and they couldn't tell the difference. He also added that most folks at the factory order Diamond for their personal boats. As an added bonus, he claims the boat drives and handle much nicer when you are blasting around the lake at 30+mph.
  • I talked to two different dealers here on the west coast who order 100% of their inventory boats with Diamond hull. These guys don't seem to have any trouble staying in business selling these boats... this fact alone alleviated my resale concern. Each of the guys I talked to have Diamond hulls on their personal boats. I identified myself from the beginning as an AWS customer, so these guys had no reason to BS me.

All that said, my dealer told me today that the Diamond aspect may push back my build. I'm not willing to do that, so this all may be academic.

It is a moot point. I have owned both and you won't notice the difference until you get around 30mph. I promise that no one on this board could tell the difference at lower speeds. Also, it won't hurt resale value. This is a dead horse,

, I must say that I don't care for the white stripe above the rub rail. It looks like you forgot to color it. I like the other number 2 better where the stripe was red. There is a vlx in 2013 brochure similar to that and it looks great. Either one will look great and I would be proud to own either one. Great choices to chose from!

Edited by bamabonners

#1 is my vote

Also I didn't read all the middle but I saw some of the debate for Diamond Hull vs Wake Hull. Not sure what you decided but I would strongly encourage going the wake hull route. Regardless of if someone can *tell* the difference in the wakeboard wake doesn't really matter. I wouldn't touch an LSV with a diamond hull. It's a big boat meant for being a wake pig. Any option put on it that caters towards skiing would be a total turn off. In short, I agree it will hurt you resale big time. Secondly, its a 23' big heavy boat. I don't care how much the diamond hull helps for skiing, it can't help that much when you've got all that boat. I could see if you had more of a crossover boat chosen - but this is a wake pig boat. Throwing on options that don't cater to that will certainly hurt you resale wise - if you could even find someone that wanted it.

You mentioned you wonder how many people would even look for it (implying you'd just not mention it and sell it anyway). Do you really want to stoop to that level to misrepresent your boat just to get a sale? I drove half way across the country the last time i picked up a boat. If I drove that far and found out you misrepresented me you'd get your a$$ beat. I wouldn't recommend screwing with people over big money purchases unless you really want to chance having an irate person in front of you? Sounds like a recipe for a broken face and ribs to me. I'd beat your a$$ if you did that to me - no question.

Dude, were you drunk or on roids when you wrote this?

I have no idea... the chat with my dealer was short as he was going into another meeting. He sounded as confused as I was. I'm expecting a call back today with more details.

My guess is that you're custom build boat is taking place of a stock boat that he had in line with a wake hull option.

To the OP I didn't mean to call your choice into question. I read the post while at work and didn't want to read the 8 full pages. I got to the part about "should i go diamond or wake hull" and decided I'd throw my 2 cents in. I didn't want to make you feel like you needed to defend your decision (I didn't even know you made up your mind because I was too lazy to read 7 pages). I just thought I'd offer up an opinion if you hadn't made up your mind yet.
To the part about why people are wondering why I made the second half of my post it was in response to when the OP said this:

Awesome recommendation, Chatt. I will do just that.

I thought the same thing on Diamond resale, but I honestly wonder if anybody even knows the difference. For example, during my VLX sale I talked to several potential buyers and not one of them asked about the hull.

All I was trying to say in my second half my response, although I agree it probably didn't come out quite like this because I was in a hurry to write my response was this: "IF you were considering misrepresenting your boat on resale, THEN I would caution against it". I never said I'd drive across the country to kick his a$$ - I said the last boat i bought was half way across the country and it was for an LSV Wakesetter. If the buyer was sitting on a diamond hull and didn't mention it before I invested hundreds of dollars in gas, food, and hotels to drive out out there, I'm saying at a minimum there would be words and I can guarantee you there would be people that would beat his a$$.

The only thing I'm pointing out is there are a lot of different types of people in this world. When I bought my first serious wakeboard boat I had been saving "my entire life" for my "dream boat". The purchase can be very personal - look at all the people who struggle SELLING the boat. The ONLY thing I was saying is that I would not recommend misrepresenting a boat on a sale. In fact I am grossly honest on the boats I sell and I'd rather take a couple extra grand off my price and make sure someone knows what they're getting versus keep quiet about things and try to make a quick couple bucks. That's all I'm saying.

Directly to the OP - it sounds like you meant nothing of the sort on resale - I didn't mean to insinuate you would. Also, I personally apologize for making you feel like I took your choice into question - it's completely my fault for not reading. I'm happy you are getting what you want and it sounds like a great choice for you. I'm sure you will enjoy your new boat and it looks gorgeous (both #1 and #2).

And also, no i wasnt drunk or on roids (I don't believe in sacrificing health for muscles), but I am in a cutting cycle where I'm not eating much and working out every day so I'm certainly a little edgier than normal :)

• Like 2

Now I've heard it all. Pros are better at adjusting to a "less than ideal" wake than a beginner, as if a diamond hull produces a "less than ideal" wake, and as if the timing of a 900 is easier than a beginner's tindy grab.

If you were not told, and not "looking" for a difference to reassure your inner self, you would not know the difference. This is like some people who get all worked up about one wake being better than another due to 200#s on wakeworld who can't even jump toeside. That said, KEEP THE WIFE HAPPY AS POSSIBLE, it's WELL-WORTH a "rounded lip" on a diamond to keep her happy!

I never said 900’s were easier than basic moves, nice try putting words into my mouth.

The people I ride with who are beginner/intermediate riders, have a harder time adjusting to differences in wakes, often times myself included.

The guys I ride with who are very good riders, who compete and do very well, all adjust very easily to different wakes. We all have different boats with drastically different wakes and they throw all of their tricks behind all of the boats. They just have a much higher level of skill and don’t rely as much on the wake being perfect. Not sure what's so hard to grasp about that.

But don't take my word for it.

How many people on this forum can ride like that even with modern wakes that are 5 times that size? Like I said, the guys who are really good riders are also very good at throwing tricks behind even less than ideal wakes such as the one in that video.

Your theory about being told first is complete BS. My wife doesn’t know the first thing about hull differences. She can clear the wake behind Mark’s wake hull VTX no problem. She could not clear the wake behind Troy’s diamond hull VTX regardless of the speed or line length we tried. She was very frustrated and couldn't understand what the problem was. Ask Troy yourself, he is a member on here and witnessed it too. I also had to work much harder to clear the wake and I had no idea the hull was different at the time. Aaron on here who is a very good rider also noticed the differences when riding.

No offense to Troy, his boat is fantastic and makes a great wake. We were had a blast riding with him and he was very generous to invite us to stay with him for a weekend. But claiming that nobody could possibly tell difference unless they were told first is ridiculous. My experiences were on a VTX. It's entirely possibly that the differences on a VLX or LSV are more subtle. If there was zero difference, why in the heck would Malibu even go through the trouble and significant expense of having two different hull molds per boat model?

I have to say if I was every shopping for a used BU I would make darn sure it had the wake hull.

Some of you say you can't tell the diff but I'm guessing somebody who rides their boat everyday and has many sets behind one can easily tell which hull it is. Just like you can prob tell where your wedge is or your wake plate is positioned but throw a newbie behind your boat and they wouldn't have a clue.

For the ski hull to have an effect on the ski wake it Absolutly has to effect the wakeboard wake too. It prob adds some additional hook to the rear which causes the hull to ride slightly higher which in turn is going to knock the lip off at lower speeds the same as it does at higher.

..... But claiming that nobody could possibly tell difference unless they were told first is ridiculous. My experiences were on a VTX. It's entirely possibly that the differences on a VLX or LSV are more subtle. If there was zero difference, why in the heck would Malibu even go through the trouble and significant expense of having two different hull molds per boat model?

it is marketing, that is why they do it. This has been talked about for years and the general conclusion is that there is no difference in wake until you get to higher speed (say 28 and above). DEAD HORSE!!

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Edited by bamabonners

I never said 900’s were easier than basic moves, nice try putting words into my mouth.

The people I ride with who are beginner/intermediate riders, have a harder time adjusting to differences in wakes, often times myself included.

The guys I ride with who are very good riders, who compete and do very well, all adjust very easily to different wakes. We all have different boats with drastically different wakes and they throw all of their tricks behind all of the boats. They just have a much higher level of skill and don’t rely as much on the wake being perfect. Not sure what's so hard to grasp about that.

But don't take my word for it.

How many people on this forum can ride like that even with modern wakes that are 5 times that size? Like I said, the guys who are really good riders are also very good at throwing tricks behind even less than ideal wakes such as the one in that video.

Your theory about being told first is complete BS. My wife doesn’t know the first thing about hull differences. She can clear the wake behind Mark’s wake hull VTX no problem. She could not clear the wake behind Troy’s diamond hull VTX regardless of the speed or line length we tried. She was very frustrated and couldn't understand what the problem was. Ask Troy yourself, he is a member on here and witnessed it too. I also had to work much harder to clear the wake and I had no idea the hull was different at the time. Aaron on here who is a very good rider also noticed the differences when riding.

No offense to Troy, his boat is fantastic and makes a great wake. We were had a blast riding with him and he was very generous to invite us to stay with him for a weekend. But claiming that nobody could possibly tell difference unless they were told first is ridiculous. My experiences were on a VTX. It's entirely possibly that the differences on a VLX or LSV are more subtle. If there was zero difference, why in the heck would Malibu even go through the trouble and significant expense of having two different hull molds per boat model?

People are giving the OP advice on what boat to get (depsite the fact the OP says his wife wants to ski!) because of the inferior wake of the diamond! ANY diamond-hulled boat is NOT holding anyone back. That video is making the point! I've owned both. Weighted the same, the difference is imperceptible unless you're looking for it. You're the only person I have ever heard of that claims to have direct experience with both and claiming the diamond held anyone back, other than those speculating in this thread. You're telling me straight up, you rode behind two identically weighted, wedged, and passengered boats and you could tell the difference without being told? I have a very difficult time accepting that but, maybe you can tell the difference between slow and fast water which I can't either.

To the OP I didn't mean to call your choice into question. I read the post while at work and didn't want to read the 8 full pages. I got to the part about "should i go diamond or wake hull" and decided I'd throw my 2 cents in. I didn't want to make you feel like you needed to defend your decision (I didn't even know you made up your mind because I was too lazy to read 7 pages). I just thought I'd offer up an opinion if you hadn't made up your mind yet.
To the part about why people are wondering why I made the second half of my post it was in response to when the OP said this:

All I was trying to say in my second half my response, although I agree it probably didn't come out quite like this because I was in a hurry to write my response was this: "IF you were considering misrepresenting your boat on resale, THEN I would caution against it". I never said I'd drive across the country to kick his a$$ - I said the last boat i bought was half way across the country and it was for an LSV Wakesetter. If the buyer was sitting on a diamond hull and didn't mention it before I invested hundreds of dollars in gas, food, and hotels to drive out out there, I'm saying at a minimum there would be words and I can guarantee you there would be people that would beat his a$$.

The only thing I'm pointing out is there are a lot of different types of people in this world. When I bought my first serious wakeboard boat I had been saving "my entire life" for my "dream boat". The purchase can be very personal - look at all the people who struggle SELLING the boat. The ONLY thing I was saying is that I would not recommend misrepresenting a boat on a sale. In fact I am grossly honest on the boats I sell and I'd rather take a couple extra grand off my price and make sure someone knows what they're getting versus keep quiet about things and try to make a quick couple bucks. That's all I'm saying.

Directly to the OP - it sounds like you meant nothing of the sort on resale - I didn't mean to insinuate you would. Also, I personally apologize for making you feel like I took your choice into question - it's completely my fault for not reading. I'm happy you are getting what you want and it sounds like a great choice for you. I'm sure you will enjoy your new boat and it looks gorgeous (both #1 and #2).

And also, no i wasnt drunk or on roids (I don't believe in sacrificing health for muscles), but I am in a cutting cycle where I'm not eating much and working out every day so I'm certainly a little edgier than normal :)

It's cool, dude. I understand where you're coming from. I'm the same way when I sell boats. I've sold 3 in the last three years and I pride myself on total transparency. In fact, I've even kept in touch with my buyers over the years and consider them friends. I've loved each of my boats, and there's a certain amount of pride that comes in seeing them go to good homes. I genuinely like to see those new owners happy and satisfied.

Okay, back on topic...

Does anybody know anything about this new Bluetooth feature that Malibu is offering? What does it do? And do I want it?

The website doesn't even mention it (or any other feature for that matter), and my dealer didn't seem to know much about it either. I'm hoping somebody here has used it.

Thanks!

Okay, back on topic...

Does anybody know anything about this new Bluetooth feature that Malibu is offering? What does it do? And do I want it?

The website doesn't even mention it (or any other feature for that matter), and my dealer didn't seem to know much about it either. I'm hoping somebody here has used it.

Thanks!

Sorry for contributing to the thread drift. I wasn't attempting to criticize your decision in any way, you said plenty of times that you were interested in skiing as well so the diamond makes complete sense. I think it's great that Malibu even offers the choice.

I was told that the bluetooth can be used to stream music from any smart phone on the boat so you don't have to keep swapping out which phone is plugged into the stereo. You can also download an app so you can change the ballast settings for your own personal preset using the smart phone. Sounds fun. :)

Okay, back on topic...

Thanks!

download perfect pull in the app store. IT allows you to create a "profile" on your phone and then take it with you to other people's boats (or theirs to yours) and essentially all presets will go into effect. While cool, it was pretty spendy and wholly unnecessary for our uses, plus a $20 bluetooth player will allow the music streaming.

Yes you want the Bluetooth option - I always use my phone for playing tunes but without the Bluetooth option it needs to be plugged in the dash area, so I can't actually use the phone.

With the Bluetooth gateway you can stream music but still control from your phone and use your phone. Also your buddies can stream and control music with their phones if you want. The Perfect Pull app is kind of silly but its one of those "impress your friends" features.

Yeah... I really don't see the point of the Perfect Pull app. I will set my profiles from the helm when we get the boat, then leave it that way all summer (set it and forget it). I really don't see my tinkering with my profiles while I'm at work, for example.

However, I do like the idea of people being able to stream music via Bluetooth. I get so tired of being the "DJ" in addition the captain, driver, safety nazi, etc.

Has anyone verified the malibu bluetooth does indeed support music streaming from the iphone to the boat's bluetooth receiver? I got bluetooth in my car thinking it meant music streaming, turns out it just meant hands free calling. I was very :( If it has music streaming that's really great! Has anyone heard the audio quality? I was in a 22 MXZ in the boat show and he turned it on - I should have thought about testing it, the guy was super cool and would have let me. Now I regret not playing with it. I was in too much of a hurry to look at the G23. Shame on me.

Yes you want the Bluetooth option - I always use my phone for playing tunes but without the Bluetooth option it needs to be plugged in the dash area, so I can't actually use the phone.

With the Bluetooth gateway you can stream music but still control from your phone and use your phone. Also your buddies can stream and control music with their phones if you want. The Perfect Pull app is kind of silly but its one of those "impress your friends" features.

Is there a reason to get the $500 or so MDG over a $25 bluetooth adapter for aux's?

I've linked and played music, so yes it works. I've not had enough time to give any other reviews on quality. You can only link one device at a time, which is pretty common I would think. It's a $250 option and integrated, so yes if purchasing a new boat I think it's worth it.

Is there a reason to get the $500 or so MDG over a $25 bluetooth adapter for aux's?

I'm with you on this... probably going to skip the Malibu option and go aftermarket.

My entire system will be Exile (cabin, sub, tower, eq, amps, etc.), so I'll probably just pick a cheap BT adapter. Brian from Exile tells me the ZLD will soon be BT enabled! That would be nice.

• Like 1

Yeah - it does use the AUX input so for all intents and purposes it does seem to be the same as just using a simple Bluetooth adapter.

Its disappointing the next / prev track stereo controls don't work when connected via Bluetooth (you can still control from your phone of course), but perhaps this could be fixed in a software update. Seems like the MTC screen could work that way since it already has the brains to setup the Bluetooth connection.

To me if its a couple hundred bucks I just go for it, but that's just me. ;)

Edited by pkh

I'm with you on this... probably going to skip the Malibu option and go aftermarket.

My entire system will be Exile (cabin, sub, tower, eq, amps, etc.), so I'll probably just pick a cheap BT adapter. Brian from Exile tells me the ZLD will soon be BT enabled! That would be nice.

I use a Kanex Airblue puck. That thing is awesome! Better than any other puck I have used. Best $29 I have spent,,

I use a Kanex Airblue puck. That thing is awesome! Better than any other puck I have used. Best $29 I have spent,,

I hope so, I took yours (or someone else on here) advice and just ordered one!