Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Safe vs Boaters Insurance Agency - help me pick

Nitrousbird

Ski Safe won out.

... Layup period but no biggie since I don't boat in the winter...

So I will be shopping insurance after we move. Do you mean this insurance provider REQUIRES you to layup the boat for a specific period? I am moving specifically to be able to ride year round. I can't imagine an insurance company requiring this but that's what it sounds like. Could you elaborate please? What about people who live down south and ride year round?

With Ski Safe you choose which 4 months your boat will be laid up. If you want to use the boat during the lay up period you just need to call them and tell them what you are up to. I am guessing you could pay more and eliminate the lay up period, but I don't know that for sure.

I just purchased a policy with Ski Safe 2 weeks ago. I live here in the South. They do have year round coverage. You just pay a little more. And it's not much more either.

Is this just something based in states where you can't ride year round? I've never heard of this.

Yes. It's too cold to ride year round in most of the country, so why are you paying for coverage when the boat isn't in use? You select the dates you won't be using the boat. If you for some reason want to use it during that period, just call before and they will take care of you.

Hi Guys.

I figured I would respond to a few questions.

1-Skisafe DOES include coverage for the use of hydrofoils and Air-chairs. I guess by mentioning "Air-Chairs", I am showing my age. :)

2-The 2 year agreed value only applies to older boats,otherwise we include the AGV for the life of the policy.

3-Someone mentioned insuring a boat for more than you paid was against state law.

Not true.

Think about it. What if you didn't pay anything and were gifted the boat by a family member? You would still want to insure it for the current market value right?

Not trying to hijack this thread. Since our company was mentioned, I thought we would chime in, and will do so anytime we are asked.

We thank you for allowing us to support this great community. We have been doing so for decades.

Anyway,hope this helped.

Howard

SkiSafe

We thank you for allowing us to support this great community. We have been doing so for decades.

Howard

SkiSafe

Thanks for making it affordable to have good insurance coverage! Just got a qoute last week from y'all and loved how easy the quote was to do online and choose the coverage I want. I should be receiving my packet in the mail any day now. Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

BEWARE OF SKI SAFE! I had them for 6 years never made a claim. I bought a new boat had it for 6 months and a bird flew into my windshield. I sent in an estimate of $1900. my deductible was $1000 so my rates would be low. NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! they immediately closed my claim and said my deductible was $2000 ....WHAT? because I am in the 60 day probation period. NO I'M NOT? I ended my policy with that SHADY company that day. I'm just glad i didn't have a big claim they wouldn't cover like a wreck or something. and they say they are a small company. I think the same lady always answers the phone. not sure how many employs they have?

Edited by lake bum80

Ahh - the ol first time poster with a "bashing" thread. You have about as much credibility as the Mayor of Toronto presenting an anti drug campaign. You Nautique guys, LOL

Had both insurance companies mentioned and use Ski Safe now b/c the premium was almost half the cost of the Boaters Insurance premium.

Edited by Murphy8166
  • Like 1

Lake Bum, sorry for your bad luck. Sounds like a bummer.

Ski Safe has always provided a cover page on the policy booklet as a summary. They didn't mention the probation period on that?

I just finished getting quotes from both ski safe- who I was already with- and Boat US. BOAT uS was almost half the cost of skisafe on my 06

I just cut my homeowner insurance in half on two homes. Thank you Liberty Mutual. All told I saves approx. 3400.00 this week by shopping out my insurance. That's a tank of gas in the Bu!

How is Liberty Mututal? I got a quote based on your post & they are much cheaper. However when I googled them they have a low rating with the BBB & hundreds & hundreds of complaints all over the web? I'm concerned they don't pay claims. American Family which is much more has been there for me every claim, never a hassle, however my rates with them jumped through the roof due to the floods & fires last year. But every other insurer I spoke too was right there with the cost. Liberty Mutual is the only one way cheap?

I use assurant special property. Most of the traditional insurance companies would not insure a wake boat for the value I needed. Most stopped at $100k in value. The ones that would cover the replacement cost of a 24 MXZ were ridiculous with their premiums. Assurant, provided more coverage for 25% less premium. It is still pricey @$900/year. But the coverage is good and it is better than the $1200/year I was quoted by boat us, which was the second least expensive. Progressive was the highest at $4k/ year , gieco will not insure over $100k. State Farm is expensive and offerers significantly less coverage. This is what I found when I was shopping a couple months ago. ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I didn't try ski safe, but tried boaters and they wanted over 1K a year for my '14 VLX. I Think I laughed out loud when they guy quoted me. Needless to say, I did not go with them. I know rates here in CA are outrages, but come on. went with someone else for 642 a year, for the same coverage as Boaters