Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Surf Gate vs. Nautique NSS - Experiences and Opinions

Gravana

My biggest concern is someone pulling on the SG panel to get up onto the platform, or bumping it into something when docking, etc. The NSS seems really well hidden, and the SG seems like it is a lot more vulnerable.

At some point I'll be retro fitting my boat too, so I'm also wondering which one will be better. Only a few months 'till summer!

If you are hitting the SG tabs on the dock you have bigger problems, that is no different than taking out your swim platform. The tabs are pretty well tucked into the side of the platform, its not like they are sticking out deployed while manuevering around the dock. As far as people pulling up on them, I guess that could be and issue, Im not sure how comfortable it would feel on your hands using them for leverage. I'll just tell the kiddos no touchy on the tabs.

• Like 1

If you are hitting the SG tabs on the dock you have bigger problems, that is no different than taking out your swim platform. The tabs are pretty well tucked into the side of the platform, its not like they are sticking out deployed while manuevering around the dock. As far as people pulling up on them, I guess that could be and issue, Im not sure how comfortable it would feel on your hands using them for leverage. I'll just tell the kiddos no touchy on the tabs.

I know, I get that, it just seems like that horizontal tab is vulnerable. I think of when we were in our teens and 20's, throwing each other off of boats, banging each other off of platforms, etc.

Amazing how people wear the owners goggles and get so butt hurt when comparing the two companies. Quit getting so defensive and go out and try/demo them both. The first sets of NSS have started to hit dealers and boats should be rolling out with them now. I thought the MC idiots on their forum did this but ive noticed it getting worse here after a hiatus from this site.

Must have missed who was getting defensive? Saying people don't like it or are skeptical about NSS given their personal experinece with SG aren't defensive, they're just stating an opinion. Keep in mind that the mastercraft site is owned and monitored by mastercraft. Therefore, kool aid stays pretty string over there. And planet nautique, well, owners googles fit well there too. Heck, you can't question why you cna't get more racks on a G series as one of our members recently found out. Opinions are what they are, doesn't make anyone an "idiot". Fact of the matter is surfing been around for 20+ years, Malibu undeniably pioneered the first surfing gamechanger and other companies will do their best to compete. Surfgate in the garage beats NSS system on the UPS truck any day. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I know, I get that, it just seems like that horizontal tab is vulnerable. I think of when we were in our teens and 20's, throwing each other off of boats, banging each other off of platforms, etc.

They're actually pretty darn sturdy. I'm not saying you should look for a reason to torque on them, but they're not going to fall off if you step on one.

They're actually pretty darn sturdy. I'm not saying you should look for a reason to torque on them, but they're not going to fall off if you step on one.

I'm hoping to get a good look at them at the boat show, only 2 days away! In the past I've never cared much about Malivue or the digital dash stuff either but I plan on getting a full education. At least 2 beers worth.

Going to have to take back my comment on the gimmik, here is a nice video of NSS in action. It looks good for changing the wake, seems to have the same response as SG. Pretty amazing a 1.5"-2" tab appears to be creating the same results. Would like to see the NSS on a smaller boat other than the G series, like a 210. For my comparison the 210 is more on par with the VLX.

Edited by Fman

Going to have to take back my comment on the gimmik, here is a nice video of NSS in action. It looks good for changing the wake, seems to have the same response as SG. Pretty amazing a 1.5"-2" tab appears to be creating the same results. Would like to see the NSS on a smaller boat other than the G series, like a 210. For my comparison the 210 is more on par with the VLX.

I saw this video at the boat show last weekend. They still didn't have any NSS to show. I asked when they were going to get one. They said they didn't know.

man, that piG23 is plowing water like a caterpiller bulldozer.

i just can't get past the looks of that boat.

Dont get the g23 confused with g25 in that video. Both are big but there are 3 different boat models in that video.

Dont have a Malibu presence in my area so other than seeing SG in person last yr, i guess I'll have a better chance riding the NSS with all the G23s around me.

Edited by Huelsmma

Not sure if it was this thread or another one but the NSS will be available on the 210 as well. All 2012 and newer 210, 230, G23 & G25...and I would think the G21 that will be in 2014.

Edited by Huelsmma

Heck, you can't question why you cna't get more racks on a G series as one of our members recently found out.

No doubt, I got a heavy dose of owner goggle lambasting by a few select members over there for that. I believe one of the first comments I received was something to the effect of "I don't understand why anyone would need more than 2 racks". Hooo boy! (Some of the members where very nice though after I decided to PM the ones who seemed more helpful though).

Another note to the OP, you won't find many people who have NSS out. I believe as of very recently only the very FIRST few NSS systems were installed. I think two dealers were having some light hearted "racing" to have the first one done. Just haven't been many people to try it yet. I believe nautque does have a video of the NSS in action. There are some other better vids but if you hit this page and click the icons for a couple videos and embedded player will pop up and play:

http://www.nautique.com/models/nautique-surf-system?id=93#data

Malibu Surf Gate vs. Nautique NSS - What are your opinions and/or experiences?

I was at the LA boat show on Thursday looking at every make and model that could possibly compete with my ordering a new 24MXZ. I have only been impressed by one other manufacturer - Nautique - and I finally checked out the NSS. The product itself appears to be engineered well. Whether or not it is better, stronger, or more reliable than surf gate will surely be proven over the years.

Somebody please chime in if I am incorrect, but I believe that surf gate is either on or off, with no variable adjustment. The NSS has variable adjustments, so you can dial in your waves to be taller or longer, or a combination of both. Basically, you can easily find a sweet spot for each rider size/weight and style. The execution and operation of the NSS appear to be much better, in my opinion, than the current surf gate version. However, knowing Malibu, I imagine Surf Gate 2.0 will include such features.

I have already made up my mind on NOT buying a Nautique simply because the Nautique fails in two key areas for my needs:

1- They killed the rear deck area by making it a walk-through; my family loves to relax and lay across the back when we are chilling between runs.

2- Their tower design does not hold enough boards for a family of 5 like mine, which truly has at least 8 boards at all times. They do offer a rack/strap system on top of the tower and bimini, but getting a board on and off the top rack above the bimini was difficult and involved dragging the board across the tower paint; poor design!

I discussed options and price with the sales rep. He stated that he would only receive six G25s this year. With every possible option, the price was still over $150k. The best deal I could negotiate on a G23 was still $30k more than what people are paying for the MXZ 24 with same/similar options.

Time will tell on the design and reliability of Surf Gate vs. NSS, but I truly hope that Malibu will upgrade the Surf Gate to a more user-adjustable control system that can easily find a sweet spot for each rider's size and style!

I look forward to you all sharing your experience and opinions about this issue. Thanks!

Any pictures from the show?

One thing I have suspected about the NSS that that video confirms is that the NSS plate creates lift under the transom side of the boat that the plate is deployed on making the boat roll to the surf side while underway. You can see the angle of the boat pitch to the surf side as the plates retract and deploy. The SG just delays wake convergence and doesn't create any hull lift. IMO I'd rather not create any lift and keep as much boat in the water for greater displacement when trying to build a massive wave....I could be wrong, just the engineer in my analyzing the two systems.

It's so hard to compare the two without surfing them boat as well. The other thing that is tough is comparing a LSV wake versus a monster sized boat like the G series.

I love the level of thought everyone is putting into this. Thank you.

I raced various types of boats many, many, MANY years ago, and I can tell you from that experience, that a small amount of adjustable plate at the back of the boat can make a huge difference in water flow and pressure. I do not believe it is difficult for someone with my R&D background, rigging complete plate systems for drag boats and adjustable jet pump nozzles, to build a system that would work. However, I refuse to start drilling into my always-babied LSV to find out. Perhaps if I owned an older boat that had little to no resale value, or something that needed gel-coat work in the rear anyway, I would be inclined to start testing. So, my hat goes off to those of you who have the buoys to do it, and I look forward to seeing the results!

I spent a day surfing behind the 24 MXZ-SG with Malibu's head of R&D last year. (Thanks again DG!) The boat was a prototype, so a few things were not "finalized", but the basics were in plate I brought two 1100-lbs sacks and my pump with me, so we were able to fine-tune the wake to impress me enough to sell my beloved Diamond Hull LSV... (Yes, I posted my opinion/findings somewhere on the forum.)

I surf on three different boards. For my long board, I want a longer wake for cruising. For my short board, I want a tall and powerful wake for tricks. I hate that I have to move people (and various ballast bags lying throughout the boat) around my boat. Basically, I want an adjustable surf system that supports my versatile needs. Additionally, I visit so many types and depths of waterways each year; adjustability translates to less work from lake to lake and river to river. OK, I am done whining!

Thanks again for all of the feedback!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a few points on the Natique - the walkthru has pads that will fill it in to make it a full sun deck, so really best of both worlds. You can get the G5 Bimini that will allow you to put bords up there. A fully loaded G25 is not over 150 k. That price is about 15k too high.

I do think the Natique system is better engineered but I have yet to test on the water.

I noticed your from AB, FYI Wizzard is quoting me anywhere from 118 to 140K ( before tax ) for a G21. Mind you that is CND so factor in the exchange for our USA friends ( 12K in exchange) but I don't think a 150K USD for a G25 Fully optioned is that far off what wizzard would quote for a G25. I think these boats are more ( a lot more ) then people think..

Feel free to PM me if you have any insight into the quotes I got from wizzard. But with those prices It's a New BU for me.

that pricing sounds right. i bought from Wizard too.

except for the fact that i never had a single problem with my nautique in 460 hours (granted it didn't have a lot of bells other than perfect pass) and at just 20 hours my new vtx is dead in the water with a stuck surf gate, making me second guess my decision to buy a cross over boat.

I noticed your from AB, FYI Wizzard is quoting me anywhere from 118 to 140K ( before tax ) for a G21. Mind you that is CND so factor in the exchange for our USA friends ( 12K in exchange) but I don't think a 150K USD for a G25 Fully optioned is that far off what wizzard would quote for a G25. I think these boats are more ( a lot more ) then people think..

Feel free to PM me if you have any insight into the quotes I got from wizzard. But with those prices It's a New BU for me.

Prices have gone up plus the exchange is hurting us this year. I think a fully loaded G25 will be over 150k now. Man that's a lot of cake!

Well yes you cannot dial in the wake from the surf gate to be taller or longer but that is where the wedge comes in. It's your best friend. All the way down is longer and as it moves up, your wake will become tall and strep