Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 era Malibu VTX vs VLX vs VRide

SouthsideBoarder

I think I may have decided on a 2009 VTX w/ Diamond Hull

I've done alot of searching and some people say that there is no difference in surf and wakeboard wake diamond vs wake hull and some wriet there is a "huge" difference. Anybody with this year experience? Any idea on how it would compare to a 2007 Vride for surf and wakeboard? We do ski but recreational at around 25-28mph. Any idea on what a 2009 VTX should cost or I should expect to pay for these days (please PM me if you cannot post it here). Can I get a similar wave/wake to the 07 VLX or Vride? Will it require more weight, less weight?

Thanks

If you don't have a boat yet and you are buying with surfing in mind, I would most definitely scratch the vride off your list. Yes it CAN surf, but other hulls surf much better and more safely (more freeboard, etc). For instance, we were never able to get a clean wave from the vride without a slight turn all the time. The wakeboard wake on the vride is absolute money, but it's not a great surf boat at all. It's a great wakeboard boat that will surf begrudgingly.

Our friend has a 2010 VTX Diamond without bow ballast that he paid $49,000 for. The wakeboard wake is ok, but out v ride is quite a bit better. I don't know about surfing, neither of us do that much.

Thanks for the responses. Well I think the Vride is out. I am deciding between the diamond VTX and diamond or wake VLX. I only ski maybe a couple times a weekend, but do not want to majorly sacrifice surf and wakeboard to do so. I may become obsessed with surfing you never know.

Our friend has a 2010 VTX Diamond without bow ballast that he paid $49,000 for. The wakeboard wake is ok, but out v ride is quite a bit better. I don't know about surfing, neither of us do that much.

Thanks the VTX I am looking at is 09 for $47,000 with bow ballast, no tower speakers or Bimini so I am unsure if that is a good deal or not. For that much money I am wondering if I should save some and go for a 07 era diamond or wake hull VLX.

His had 4 tower speakers, interior and sub but his had 160 hours too. He got a good deal though. $47k sounds pretty good for an 09 it just doesn't have the G3 tower.

Our other friend has a diamond hull 07 VLX. It has been a few years since I rode behind it but it skied ok, about the same as a V ride I think. The wakeboard wake was pretty good, like I said this was a few years ago. I'm pretty sure we surfed with just stock ballast and could go ropeless.

When you say you "ski" what do you mean? @25-28, that sounds awfully slow. Are you just goofing around? Slalom or double skis?

@ 25 any of these boats is going to have an unacceptably huge wake for legit slalom skiing. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

But then again, here's an example of someone who took skiing behind their "wake" boat seriously enough to buy a ski rack for the tower (in your price range too!):

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/3603603458.html

When you say you "ski" what do you mean? @25-28, that sounds awfully slow. Are you just goofing around? Slalom or double skis?

@ 25 any of these boats is going to have an unacceptably huge wake for legit slalom skiing. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

But then again, here's an example of someone who took skiing behind their "wake" boat seriously enough to buy a ski rack for the tower (in your price range too!):

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/3603603458.html

I am usually goofing around, behind our IO I prefer around 28mph. For me that is fun and not about how fast I can go, faster you go the more it hurts when you fall :) . I don't need a flat wake, never been behind one before.

I decided I do not want to raise my budget to the VTX.

Probably will decide between these two boats. Would you do a 07 Vride for $32,000 or a 07 VLX (diamond hull) for $41,000? We wakeboard alot, "fun" ski in the evening or morning and will try/take up surfing. I do not want to break the bank, but want to have fun and keep the boat for a very very long time and be as satisfied as I can be with my decision. Both boats are similarly equipped with power wedge, ballast, etc.

Edited by SouthsideBoarder

I am usually goofing around, behind our IO I prefer around 28mph. For me that is fun and not about how fast I can go, faster you go the more it hurts when you fall :) . I don't need a flat wake, never been behind one before.

I decided I do not want to raise my budget to the VTX.

Probably will decide between these two boats. Would you do a 07 Vride for $32,000 or a 07 VLX (diamond hull) for $41,000? We wakeboard alot, "fun" ski in the evening or morning and will try/take up surfing. I do not want to break the bank, but want to have fun and keep the boat for a very very long time and be as satisfied as I can be with my decision. Both boats are similarly equipped with power wedge, ballast, etc.

I think if you can budget the VLX than the V-Ride should be out of the equation I have one (V-Ride) but thats because I am cheep yes I squeak when I walk. The Diamond hull is your best bet. I maybe wrong but I think they didn't put catalytic converters on till 08 for my next boat that will be a big deal for me. something to think about.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Bradley that is awesome. I squeak when I walk too that is why it is such a big decision for me.

Both boats have Illusion X towers though the Vride has the LCR 320 and the VLX has the Monsoon 340. Will the 20hp in the LCR make a big difference considering the boat is 600lbs lighter?

I don't think the 20 hp makes a big difference, but you also get a high output alternator with the Monsoon, which is nice. The LCR doesn't have knock sensors so it's marginally easier to winterize.

IMHO and all that, but it's worth looking for a boat with the titan T3 tower vs. the Illusion x. The IX is low, and the mounting points for the board racks are so close together that you can't actually mount wakeboards in the top and bottom racks facing each other because there's interference fromm the boots.

It also depends on preference, some really like the look of the IX, some don't. Same with the Titan. Titan is a stronger tower but they are very rare compared with the illusion. So if you find a great deal, go for it!

It also depends on preference, some really like the look of the IX, some don't. Same with the Titan. Titan is a stronger tower but they are very rare compared with the illusion. So if you find a great deal, go for it!

Totally true. Just trying to give the OP some of the lessons I learned with the IX. If he's keeping it for a long time, it's the little things like this that will drive a person nuts.

Bradley that is awesome. I squeak when I walk too that is why it is such a big decision for me.

Both boats have Illusion X towers though the Vride has the LCR 320 and the VLX has the Monsoon 340. Will the 20hp in the LCR make a big difference considering the boat is 600lbs lighter?

If you can budget it the VLX is the way to go. Nicer motor, nicer wake, nicer exhaust has the cats. If it has the diamond hull it sounds like it is just what you are looking for. I love the illusion tower it was a selling point for me.

I'll weigh back in after hearing more from the OP of what he will be using and what he wants in a boat.

Keep in mind I own a VLX Diamond Hull, also looked at the vRide when buying, ski enough behind my boat that I bought a ski rack for the Illusion tower, and also ski regularly behind an MC 190. If you're "goofing around" skiing at no more than 28mph, skiing shouldn't weigh into your decision of what boat to get. All vDrive boats will be a "goofing off" type wake at those speeds; you wont run the course but can still have some fun back there. That should eliminate the VTX from your search. The Diamond part of the hull generally only affects things when over 30 mph. Therefore it wont do much at 28 mph or less.

As for the 9K difference, only you can make that decision. However I can tell you some differences you will see with the boats.

Illusion towers were not engineered well. They need bushings replaced fairly often (every couple years). You can fit all racks and boards up but it's tough because the boots do interfere. Stock Metcraft racks have a known issue with the chrome pitting. The tower does look good though. Even after all the negatives I would not prefer a titan tower, but would love the G3.

Those 2 boats (vRide with LCR and VLX with Monsoon) will feel like they are the same power (as long as they are propped correctly). Smaller vRide with smaller motor, bigger VLX bigger motor. That being said, if you aren't doing any higher speed sports, you don't need the high speed and can prop down to the point where either boat will rip your arms off. Depending on your tow vehicle, the extra weight of the VLX might be an issue.

The VLX will be a more comfortable boat. Not only is the free-board less on the vRide, but the beam (width) is also 5 inches narrower (93" vs 98"). I felt like I was sitting on the floor when in the vRide. Because listing (leaning) the boat is the basis for creating a surf wake, you will have a better time doing it with a VLX. How long do you plan on keeping the boat? The resale price will always be higher on the VLX but wont be 9K different if you hold the boat for a long time. With the larger VLX you also get more storage.

The wakes for wakeboarding are comparable. The biggest difference you'll notice is the VLX wake will be a little wider at the same length rope/boat speed.

Good luck with your search. This is still a good time of the year to buy, but prices will raise and selection of used boats will start to get slimmer as we get closer to summer time.

I'll weigh back in after hearing more from the OP of what he will be using and what he wants in a boat.

Keep in mind I own a VLX Diamond Hull, also looked at the vRide when buying, ski enough behind my boat that I bought a ski rack for the Illusion tower, and also ski regularly behind an MC 190. If you're "goofing around" skiing at no more than 28mph, skiing shouldn't weigh into your decision of what boat to get. All vDrive boats will be a "goofing off" type wake at those speeds; you wont run the course but can still have some fun back there. That should eliminate the VTX from your search. The Diamond part of the hull generally only affects things when over 30 mph. Therefore it wont do much at 28 mph or less.

As for the 9K difference, only you can make that decision. However I can tell you some differences you will see with the boats.

Illusion towers were not engineered well. They need bushings replaced fairly often (every couple years). You can fit all racks and boards up but it's tough because the boots do interfere. Stock Metcraft racks have a known issue with the chrome pitting. The tower does look good though. Even after all the negatives I would not prefer a titan tower, but would love the G3.

Those 2 boats (vRide with LCR and VLX with Monsoon) will feel like they are the same power (as long as they are propped correctly). Smaller vRide with smaller motor, bigger VLX bigger motor. That being said, if you aren't doing any higher speed sports, you don't need the high speed and can prop down to the point where either boat will rip your arms off. Depending on your tow vehicle, the extra weight of the VLX might be an issue.

The VLX will be a more comfortable boat. Not only is the free-board less on the vRide, but the beam (width) is also 5 inches narrower (93" vs 98"). I felt like I was sitting on the floor when in the vRide. Because listing (leaning) the boat is the basis for creating a surf wake, you will have a better time doing it with a VLX. How long do you plan on keeping the boat? The resale price will always be higher on the VLX but wont be 9K different if you hold the boat for a long time. With the larger VLX you also get more storage.

The wakes for wakeboarding are comparable. The biggest difference you'll notice is the VLX wake will be a little wider at the same length rope/boat speed.

Good luck with your search. This is still a good time of the year to buy, but prices will raise and selection of used boats will start to get slimmer as we get closer to summer time.

Thanks for the great response. My tow vehicle choices are not the best, unsure if they will even work, but I only will tow it 3 miles twice a year otherwise keep it on a lift. I have a Trailblazer (unsure if that will pull either the 3 miles), my dad has a Traverse. If push comes to shove I will borrow my in-laws Dodge Diesel.

What other equipment do the boats have? Do both have power wedge, does the VLX have bow ballast? Both have tower speakers/sub etc?

Both have power wedge, I am actually unsure if the VLX has bow ballast. Both have tower speakers, unsure about sub on VLX, no on the Vride.