Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mods for an '04 Sunscape 21...

Arctic Slalom

Arctic.. good to see you back on the boards. I remember your sunsetter and I had one too.

I have almost the same boat and color scheme as your new one except the gray stripe on mine stops below the rub rail. But otherwise it looks the same. I liked the two-tone blade in your examples, but either will look great. The black looks sweet too.

Here's mine with a chrome/polished tower for comparison. I really like the blade but I found a great deal on the titan when I bought this boat. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hJ_akZ7n3504zV6WyoK9lNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink .

2) In regards to ballast -- there are some great ideas posted... But all I have to say is start working on a surfgate mod. I have 3 kids also and SG (not even finished) changed the way we used our boat at the end of summer. Better wave that we previously had with this boat, and SOOOOO much easier, convenient and quick to switch. In fact we have 2 of our kids surfing now because they were simply able to get more turns trying due to the time saved (2 of the 5 in my family are goofy foot).

I like the black Blade tower better...

I'm with you pennery. I think it's nice and clean.

So I called the dealer (who's been VERY helpful) and he and I decided to order the blacked out Samson Blade. Turns out the base mounting plate (from Samson) is 2-3/4" wide at the base and my '04 Suncape 21 gunnel is only 2-1/4" wide! This leaves me with a 1/2" to make up on the outside or inside of the boat gunnel.

Does anyone out there have pictures of a '99-04 sunsetter VLX or Sunscape 21 (I think those are very similar Hull/top deck?) with a samson Blade mounted to it?

I'd like to see how the Blade is mounted to the top deck.

Rugger,

That Titan III looks great. How do you actuate your surfgate? It's electric, right? I'm sure I will formulate a surfgate, eventually! Your boat looks really nice!

thanks!

CR

• 3 weeks later...

Samson blade has been built and is being shipped to Peter.

Should be mounted in next couple weeks.

We priced out the ballast system and I going to pass on it.

It just seems like a lot of money for the benefit.....

Going to run the boat for a while before committing to the ballast (maybe that's the skier in my coming out!).

Will post photos when tower is mounted.

CR

exactly what one of my friends with a SS VLX said. he said it would be nice for surfing, but the regular wake for wakeboarding is plenty.

I'm going to watch the surf gate DIY's develop, then may do something with that.

I've got a buddy who is a phenomenal metal fabricator. I might have him look at the surf gate idea and sketch some ideas with him.

He built a stainless bar top for me and is working on all the cables rails for my deck.

CR

• 3 weeks later...

peter sent me a few photos of the samson blade tower in all black!

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/arcticslalom/media/BlackBlade_3_zps6ccf4d10.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/arcticslalom/media/BlackBlade_2_zpsb92039d9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=136504055752505761526937091141

I think it looks great, but I'm biased.....

ballast install in underway. (3) bags, (3) jabsco pumps = 2,000 lbs.

• Like 1

peter sent me a few photos of the samson blade tower in all black!

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/arcticslalom/media/BlackBlade_3_zps6ccf4d10.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/arcticslalom/media/BlackBlade_2_zpsb92039d9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=136504055752505761526937091141

I think it looks great, but I'm biased.....

ballast install in underway. (3) bags, (3) jabsco pumps = 2,000 lbs.

When Peter finishes the ballast install, can you post some pictures of where he: 1) put the thru-hulls, 2) ran the hoses, and 3) mounted the pumps? I'm doing my own ballast install on an '03 Sunscape and want to see other peoples good ideas. I'm putting 750s in the rears, a rear seat sac in the center locker, and under-bow sac. Is that what you're doing?

When Peter finishes the ballast install, can you post some pictures of where he: 1) put the thru-hulls, 2) ran the hoses, and 3) mounted the pumps? I'm doing my own ballast install on an '03 Sunscape and want to see other peoples good ideas. I'm putting 750s in the rears, a rear seat sac in the center locker, and under-bow sac. Is that what you're doing?

My original install. I'll have to update it with my surf sack and for my ski locker sack when I do that in a month or so.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37325-my-3-pump-impeller-ballast-install-01-sunsetter-vlx/

sure! yes, (2) 750's in the back lockers and a (1) 500 in the ski locker.

I'm guessing he's working on it today and tomorrow.

I don't know where, exactly he's plumbing everything. We just decided 1-1/8" diameter line, quick connects, (3) jabsco's and to make it look professional.

he's been really easy to work with....especially considering he's 1500 miles away.

• 2 weeks later...

That tower looks sweet. I'm headed out to the garage to work on my ballast system that I started 2 summers ago on my '04 Sunscape. I'm vowing I won't put it in the water without the ballast and a raised driver's seat being installed. No more pumps over the side.

I'm going into my 2nd full summer with my Sunscape. Let me know if you have any questions.

Peter has been really solid to deal with. I've never even seen the boat, in person and have stuck $5K in accessories into it!

Never been behind a Malibu with tower, ballast or wedge and now I'll have all three! Not many Malibu's in central North Dakota to get behind.

I kicked around installing all the ballast and tower myself, added up the numbers and decided to have Peter do all of it (when he was slow in the winter). Glad he did.

I still think the Titan III would have been sweet (polished), but couldn't find one, so I went with the blacked out samson blade. I really like the look of it. Suppose to be really solid.

Close to the look of a newer malibu without the shocking price tag of the G3 tower.

It will be really nice to have 2,000 lbs. at the flip of a few switches.

Looking like dealer will be running down to TN to pick up new boats and may be willing to meet me in Ohio to take delivery (cutting a bunch of miles off for me).

Can't wait to get it in the water.

The winter will never end here in North Dakota. We are in the middle of a (another) brutal storm. 12-20" expected (heavy a** snow). ice off is normally April 10th-ish; not even close to that this year.

I still need to get a spare tire and trailer mount for tire. Looks like best deal is overton's.

Thanks for all the input from the crew here. All of my decisions were based on your input and then discussed with Peter before we ordered parts!

How can I fix the rear volume control near the platform? Evidently deck was replaced and rear volume control no longer works?

Planning to use a Sikkens product on rear teak.

552760_471501072918814_460228385_n.jpg

photoshop hack job was pretty close! :clap::yahoo:

Sunscape_Blade_zps805ea707.jpg