Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need a high altitude prop?

dm001681

Its going to come down to your preference. I will say most of the dealers order there boats with the 1235. As others mentioned the LSV with Monsoon 350 using the 1235 is a very nice combo pack. It will allow you more options for ballast and wedge, more people in the boat without being dissappointed with your boats performance.

Most here seem to be favoring the 1235 for you, but its your decision. Will Malibu order you any prop you want for your boat? When I ordered my boat they only offered the 1939 or 1235.

Whatever prop you decide can be used as a spare, just be ready to dish out $450-600 for another one, they are definitely not cheap. The prop puller kit acme sells is also nice to have, stores your spare prop with all your tools needed to remove a prop.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Acme and thought I would share what I learned. First, Jim was awesome, tons of knowledge and took the time to talk it through with me. We discussed the 527, 1939 and 1235 and here is what he said.

• 537 is a great prop for 19'-22' boats
  • 1939 is a great prop for a lightly loaded 23LSV, meaning no more than factory ballast
  • The reason they began making the 1939 was because over the years boats in a given length have gotten wider and heavier and the wider diameter prop (1939 vs 537) performed better.
  • He said that the larger (longer and heavier) the larger diameter prop you want

He mentioned that they have been selling a lot of 15" diameter props and wondered from the guys that have experimented with different props if you have found that at a given weight does a larger diameter prop create a larger wake, specifically for wake surfing? Does anyone know?

His suggestion for me personally is to run for a while with the stock prop (I'm assuming its the 1939, still don't have confirmation yet). He feels that is a really good prop for my purposes and if I find that we are loading the boat up more and more I will want to get a 14.5" diameter prop to help push the additional weight. If I find that the stock prop is the 537 (being 13.5" diameter) he suggests I swap for at least a 14" diameter (1939).

Thoughts?

I suggested trying the 1939 first before dumping it for the 1235 on page 1 so yes, I agree.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

There was a similiar topic a short time ago regarding this very same topic..the major difference was it involved a 1990's vintage Skier vs any of the newer bigger and much heavier Malibu line up. I and others suggested contacting either OJ or Acme, as opposed to WAGs and opinions. Specially since performance is dependent on sooo many variables, and slightly more difficult to measure out on the water. Opinions are great (but when props are now $600+, guessing can be expensive), but the experts actually know their product line best, although some on the previous topic considered themselves experts on the subject..ha ha There was a name thrown out...some Bill Big Dog fella, that may be a great place to start, and see what his suggestion(s) are. Or maybe Jim at Acme...I have learned quite a bit just from chatting with him about issues I had/have with my LXI and the LS3 option. Although I would not consider myself an expert on props as others do, just offering some sound advice.

Each boat owner experiences, expectations and observations are going to be different, just as their use, location, sport selection, etc. will vary.. Just as dms' comment pointed out, only he knows how and where his boat will be used (and he may not even know, or they may even change)...and all those and more factor in when selecting the right prop for your boat.

Even the owner's manual is misleading, as with my LXI. In one location it states the 13x13 is the std prop, when in another location within the same manual, it states the 13X12 is the std prop!! Probably the same for other boats too.

Anf not sure if what engine option he has, as that makes a difference. My LS3 does not have the same low end TQ as the monsson does, so the engine is a huge fator/component in prop selection.

No one said they were an expert in the other thread, I simply said I know what I'm talking about in response to you saying all I was providing was "WAG"s and opinions. Someone else, not even me, posted a picture for you to compare cast v CNC which was the core of the other issue. You simply provided nothing of any substance other than swipes at me. EVERYONE supports input from ACME and OJ and I even suggested it for you in the other thread. In this thread, like the other, the OP asked what people think and for opinions. People have provided that. Move on.

Its going to come down to your preference. I will say most of the dealers order there boats with the 1235. As others mentioned the LSV with Monsoon 350 using the 1235 is a very nice combo pack. It will allow you more options for ballast and wedge, more people in the boat without being dissappointed with your boats performance.

Most here seem to be favoring the 1235 for you, but its your decision. Will Malibu order you any prop you want for your boat? When I ordered my boat they only offered the 1939 or 1235.

Maybe (in terms of ordering) but the 1235 is an upcharge from the factory though yes you cna order it from the factory that way.

The prop puller kit acme sells is also nice to have, stores your spare prop with all your tools needed to remove a prop.

Yes, it is a nice kit. DO NOT buy the piece of crap puller OJ is now selling (the old ones I hear are okay) - broke two while being careful with them and never got my prop off but the Acme did it without issue.

Many years ago, i worked for a boat dealer, I would take customers on their sea trials and they were very happy with the performance of even the smallest power plants available. This was because the boats were basically the lightest they would ever be. They had no gear, ballast, passengers, and very little fuel onboard and the performance was outstanding. they would not realize that when they had all the gear, fuel, and all the other extra weight that a day on the water brings, performance suffered. Malibu boats have a fantastic all around stock prop, but after running your boat for a few hundred hours, what used to be awesome performance now seems inadequate, due to the natural tendency to put more weight in the boat usually for that ultimate surf wave. Top end is nice for cruising but if you don't have the bottom end grunt when fully weighted you will be disappointed. I started with the stock prop, then got another prop for a little more bottom end, now I wish I had gone for more bottom end because I keep adding ballast. It's like having the bigger motor in your tow rig, you don't have to use it, but when your fully loaded and you NEED IT, it's there. So whatever prop you decide on, remember that, down the road, you will most likely be putting in additional weight, so make sure to over prop a little so you don't have to waste $600 on a prop that just wasn't quite enough. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe (in terms of ordering) but the 1235 is an upcharge from the factory though yes you cna order it from the factory that way.

Imo, for the extra $120 upcharge it would be foolish to not get the 1235 if this is what he is interested in.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Acme and thought I would share what I learned. First, Jim was awesome, tons of knowledge and took the time to talk it through with me. We discussed the 527, 1939 and 1235 and here is what he said.

• 537 is a great prop for 19'-22' boats
  • 1939 is a great prop for a lightly loaded 23LSV, meaning no more than factory ballast
  • The reason they began making the 1939 was because over the years boats in a given length have gotten wider and heavier and the wider diameter prop (1939 vs 537) performed better.
  • He said that the larger (longer and heavier) the larger diameter prop you want

He mentioned that they have been selling a lot of 15" diameter props and wondered from the guys that have experimented with different props if you have found that at a given weight does a larger diameter prop create a larger wake, specifically for wake surfing? Does anyone know?

His suggestion for me personally is to run for a while with the stock prop (I'm assuming its the 1939, still don't have confirmation yet). He feels that is a really good prop for my purposes and if I find that we are loading the boat up more and more I will want to get a 14.5" diameter prop to help push the additional weight. If I find that the stock prop is the 537 (being 13.5" diameter) he suggests I swap for at least a 14" diameter (1939).

Thoughts?

Here is an offer for you. Get the 1235 and if you don't like it, I will trade you for my 1939 (5hrs of use) and pay the dealer upcharge difference ($120). That way, you are money ahead no matter what you decide.

• Like 2

I have a 15 X 14.25 on my boat now and it is a great prop for surfing and wakeboarding. While is has a little less pulling power than the 1235, it cuts the revs down quite a bit at surfing and wakeboarding speed. In addition the large surface area seems to give you a cleaner wake.

Many years ago, i worked for a boat dealer, I would take customers on their sea trials and they were very happy with the performance of even the smallest power plants available. This was because the boats were basically the lightest they would ever be. They had no gear, ballast, passengers, and very little fuel onboard and the performance was outstanding. they would not realize that when they had all the gear, fuel, and all the other extra weight that a day on the water brings, performance suffered. Malibu boats have a fantastic all around stock prop, but after running your boat for a few hundred hours, what used to be awesome performance now seems inadequate, due to the natural tendency to put more weight in the boat usually for that ultimate surf wave. Top end is nice for cruising but if you don't have the bottom end grunt when fully weighted you will be disappointed. I started with the stock prop, then got another prop for a little more bottom end, now I wish I had gone for more bottom end because I keep adding ballast. It's like having the bigger motor in your tow rig, you don't have to use it, but when your fully loaded and you NEED IT, it's there. So whatever prop you decide on, remember that, down the road, you will most likely be putting in additional weight, so make sure to over prop a little so you don't have to waste $600 on a prop that just wasn't quite enough. Just my 2 cents.

ANd lets not forget trailering purposes: add 40 gallons of gas=300#, ice chest+50#, say 5 occupants@175# ea= 900#, throw in skis, vests, etc. by the time the boat hits the water, you have another 1500#. So now you are trying to stop 4-5000 # or upwards of 7-8000#. Or the crazy amount of ballast in some of these boats....that why I said earlier, your ski, surfing, etc requirements may change after time...which change the damands you place on that prop.