Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got carried away today, SSLXI Interior Rehab

Bozboat

Interesting photos. I have 760 hours on mine after this season and seeing these pics makes me want to tear into mine. I'm interested to hear what people have to say about the exhaust "leak" if you will. Interesting to see #4 and #6 in comparison to #2.

The manifolds and risers look normal for a boat that age with the hours you have. The worry about exhaust manifold rusting is a breach occurring between the exhaust and water jackets. This can cause water to leak into the engine's head through the exhaust valve and possibly cause a hydrolock condition.

As far as the leak, with the amount of hours on the sealant that was applied originally I'm not surprised it is leaking a bit. Not a huge deal, just clean up both surfaces before re mating them. I would recommend Permatex Ultra Black when putting things back together. If you really want extra leak protection, pick up a set of smallblock 350 exhaust gaskets at the parts store and put a thin coat of the Permatex on each side and re-install the manifolds. That is what I did on mine when I installed my Stainless Marine manifolds.

The manifolds and risers look normal for a boat that age with the hours you have. The worry about exhaust manifold rusting is a breach occurring between the exhaust and water jackets. This can cause water to leak into the engine's head through the exhaust valve and possibly cause a hydrolock condition.

As far as the leak, with the amount of hours on the sealant that was applied originally I'm not surprised it is leaking a bit. Not a huge deal, just clean up both surfaces before re mating them. I would recommend Permatex Ultra Black when putting things back together. If you really want extra leak protection, pick up a set of smallblock 350 exhaust gaskets at the parts store and put a thin coat of the Permatex on each side and re-install the manifolds. That is what I did on mine when I installed my Stainless Marine manifolds.

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the help.

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the help.

No problem. Good luck with the reassembly. Nice work on taking good pics and documenting....that always helps others down the road when tackling the same project! :)

• 2 weeks later...

What glue did you use and any pluses/minuses?

I am having the carpet installed vs, me cutting myself and needing stitches etc., but I will get the details on the glue and let you know.

Got the boat back with the carpet installed. The seam along the side will be hidden by the side panels. In the observer compartment I had a rubber mat installed instead of carpet.

4953FAA1-08B2-4312-A51D-FA5F0F095710-16266-00000A3EC4EA6F07.jpg

663AAD2F-A798-42D1-BBAC-0FB0AFC51569-16266-00000A3EABC997E7.jpg

300C6CCB-16D6-405B-AE5D-2355BC1A303B-16266-00000A3EBA4BF0CB.jpg

Edited by Bozboat

Thanks, without the interior pieces it's still pretty hard to look at, but its progress. I got a big box of stuff in from skidim, so I will be putting the gas tank, fuel lines, new fuel sender, exhaust hoses, manifolds, and risers in this weekend. I keep this picture from last summer handy.

5BA1431F-13EA-455B-AA7E-19A4C82CB366-17094-00000A8E0800F24F.jpg

Edited by Bozboat

New manifolds, risers, fuel line and fuel return line installed. I tried to get by with the non ribbed exhaust hose between the risers and the mufflers but don't think that I can make that work, so I need to order the correct ribbed exhaust hose, then I can install the exhaust and then the gas tank, then replace the fuel sender before the rear couch goes back in.

2BE3EBF5-4D89-4760-BF87-BCE37EC12BE7-2108-000000D138832B8D.jpg

Nice work Boz. Looking really nice. I love this part of a project....it's when the payoff starts to show it's face. :)

On the exhaust hose, did you try the softwall stuff and it flattens a bit? I ran into the same on my exhaust project. I ended up leaving it as it didn't look too bad. I couple hose clamps in the middle help it to hold it's round shape as well.

my doghouse support brace looks like it's installed the same as yours: 4 screws into fiberglass that eventually ends up wallowing out the fiberglass.

i'm looking for an alternative that will hold up long term.

thinking of brass bolts sticking up as studs w the heads accessed from below using the access port in the fibex which, just like yours, is at just the right place.

your f-glass hogged out yet?

my doghouse support brace looks like it's installed the same as yours: 4 screws into fiberglass that eventually ends up wallowing out the fiberglass.

i'm looking for an alternative that will hold up long term.

thinking of brass bolts sticking up as studs w the heads accessed from below using the access port in the fibex which, just like yours, is at just the right place.

your f-glass hogged out yet?

It's all jacked up, I filled it with marine tex and need to sand it down, then paint it black. Next step is figuring out how to mount the dog house back. Any ideas would be appreciated, I was thinking of another thread where someone put a bar across and mounted the hinges to the bar.

Mine had a small piece of carpeted honeycomb material that the motorbox hinges screwed into and stripped out. I ran the last two years without the hinges and struts attached and that worked fine, but I would like to put it back together.

Like this

http://www.themalibu...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Bozboat

On the exhaust hose, did you try the softwall stuff and it flattens a bit? I ran into the same on my exhaust project. I ended up leaving it as it didn't look too bad. I couple hose clamps in the middle help it to hold it's round shape as well.

It seems the softwall stuff should work, it supposed to be good up to a 20 degree bend and I don't think I am near that, just seems to kink. i could try the hose clamps.

Nice work, Boz!! You're going to be loving the "new" ride! Makes me want to tear into mine still, but I remain optimistic for a fat end 'o year check and a level headed discussion with the wife about a diamond hull boat. If not, work will begin on my ride.