Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got carried away today, SSLXI Interior Rehab

Bozboat

Man....I step away from the board for a few days and BAM......

Boz tears his rig apart with no notice! Looks like it's going to be a good summer project. One I would for sure tackle if I had a larger, heated garage. Keep the pics and detail coming, Boz!

Man....I step away from the board for a few days and BAM......

Boz tears his rig apart with no notice! Looks like it's going to be a good summer project. One I would for sure tackle if I had a larger, heated garage. Keep the pics and detail coming, Boz!

Yep I couldn't find a good stopping point, makes me nauseous to look at it. I am going to do the prep work and get some help on the carpet install and the seat recover, then I should be able to bolt it all back together before spring.

How long did it take you to get all of the carpet out? Any tips/special technique used?

Once all the seat parts and trim out, carpet just fell out, whole dismantle just over four hours.

I need to go back and scrape the glue off, but the little part (of floor cleaning) that I have done was easy

Yep I couldn't find a good stopping point, makes me nauseous to look at it. I am going to do the prep work and get some help on the carpet install and the seat recover, then I should be able to bolt it all back together before spring.

I would probably take the same approach.

Just found this one.......and was thinking what everyone else has said +................"Holy Schnikees that's gonna leave a mark!?!?!?!"

and yes immediately noticed the classic chevy.

Man, there are a bunch of COOL people on this site!

• Like 1

You have a keen eye. Those steps were my way of cleaning up a sin of a prior owner. I won't say what I think they were, just that they are gone.

IMG_5864-1.jpg

Holy Smokes! Those ARE Rod Holders! Good call covering them up with the step pads.

You covered them up nicely, though, and I think I would like a set of steps there....everyone gets on the boat right in that spot....unless they jump straight down onto the seat!! :rant:

The steps in that location would at least give them a little clue as to where to step.

• Like 3

I'm jealous. I'm not adverse to that much work but my wife is adverse to spending that kind of money while there are still projects in our house to do (rightly so). Keep posting pictures so I can live vicariously through you.

• Like 2

I thought the exhaust hose between the outside of the boat and the mufflers was pretty soft. So I thought I would replace it while the gas tank is out. After pulling the exhaust off from the risers back to the stern, I found the hose on the risers to be in much worse shape on the inside. No indication of any problems on the outside. Here are a couple of photos of the inside of the exhaust hose from the risers to the mufflers.

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

My exhaust hoses that I just pulled off look exactly the same, well worse actually....It is a 20-yr-old boat though, and they were surely original. I saw a post somewhere in which it got so bad as to signfiicantly block exhaust cooling water and led to engine operating problems..

It is easy, on my engine anyway, to pull off at the riser and shine a light down the hose to see if this separation type inner failure is occurring. Probably a good preventative maintenance item for those with older boats. Maybe a check looking into the hose from the flapper is another easier way to see the general internal condition of the hose.

• Like 1

Ok, now that I have the exhaust hose off, I pulled the hose off the exhaust manifold and took this picture

171AF357-7D16-4CEF-9DA1-0C73F510864D-26358-00000F0A509B20A7.jpg

I am pulling both manifolds and risers for inspection. Bakes is having a Black Friday Sale, 15% off and free shipping. New manifolds and risers on the way. One of the mufflers has a crack in it where the exhaust hose was over tightened, but I think I can repair this. Also, I think I can have the old risers and manifolds Magnafluxed (?) and keep them as spare or sell them.

Edited by Bozboat

good to know the passages are open I am at 665, the motor never misses a beat. My carpet is looking warn and I will need to do something about some of the seats in the next few years, not to mention the stero upgrade.

Keep posting on your progress, Some of us are taking notes.

The exhaust manifolds were mounted without a gasket. I understand that Indmar says to use the black goop and no gasket. However, the exhaust seems to have been leaking at the exhaust port for cylinders 4 and 6. In the second photo you can see that my spark plugs are cooked after only one season. (I am speculating wildly here, so if I am confused, feel free to tell me what I am seeing.) The third photo are the risers, the fourth photo is the starboard manifold and the last is the port manifold that is still on the port head with the number 5 bolt frozen in the manifold.

B0C60A3A-F8A9-4B8B-9393-5826D8642DC4-255-0000000C89359BAA.jpg

9B47848C-D0BC-451E-850A-4F000CB222FE-255-0000000C984CD7FA.jpg

F2EB16F4-E702-4882-A2B2-FD2397A79B64-255-0000000DE9D2ECE8.jpg

335D558C-7791-4A4C-BEAC-721E615F1CD7-255-0000000DF17B7425.jpg

3C205750-D885-470B-8FD4-ABB660CC9C01-255-0000000DF723713A.jpg