Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Three blade v. four blade prop....

CliffB

That is why I told Cliif to call OJ or Acme, as they actually know what they are talking about, vs a WAG or some vague annecdotal opinion.

I know that you know you think you do....take a deep breathe, and put the frisbee down.

No need to get all wee weed up. I am certainly not looking to as you say "straighten any one out"..I'll leave that to the experts. And who is Bill?? Should I know Bill??

For your on own well being....put the frisbee down, breathe deep and a few "serenity now"s will do wonders...may change your whole outlook on life....

Kendall (or is it 6@39?), you have repetitively questioned my posts on props for the OP, and the discussion as to a cnc 3 blade probably being the best fit and in no uncertain terms have said all I have brought are "WAG"s and anecdotal "opinions". Therefore, since you are so caught up in dismissing and belittling anything I say (to the detriment of OP's information solicitation, mind you), feel free to call ACME as you previously suggested OP do (Bill Weeks is a big dog there) and see for yourself. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

CliffB:

Just get a 3 blade CNC prop and keep the cast as a spare in the boat. You will never look back.

Regarding your intent to install aluminum heads; it might be a pain in the a** to do it properly. I would not run aluminum heads unless the water jackets are coated or anodized and the cooling system was converted to a closed system. My opinion is there is no clear benefit to aluminum heads versus iron heads in a boat.

• Like 1

Kendall (or is it 6@39?), you have repetitively questioned my posts on props for the OP, and the discussion as to a cnc 3 blade probably being the best fit and in no uncertain terms have said all I have brought are "WAG"s and anecdotal "opinions". Therefore, since you are so caught up in dismissing and belittling anything I say (to the detriment of OP's information solicitation, mind you), feel free to call ACME as you previously suggested OP do (Bill Weeks is a big dog there) and see for yourself. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Not trying to be nit picky, but words do have meaning, it is REPEATEDLY!!

I know that you know you think you do....and have no where said anything to dismiss or belittle you, although you're doing a good enough job on your own...no need for me to lend a helping hand!! I'll leave that to the expert. Although, I must say most folks would have stopped digging my now.

I am simply offering some actual real time observations (you know, your ole annecdotal evidence as you like to say), particulary when dealing with vintage Skiers, which I just sold mine of some 10 years. which you have not, unless I missed that in your numerous posts...have I?. I could never call myself an expert on such a myriad of subjects as you do...course I don't watch that much LA Law, either.

I do have to ask just one question though: WHO made your opinion more right, better, whatever than anyone else's?? If we are only considering opinions, everone has one!! You get all wee weed up when anyone has an opinion other that yours. ANd what you just wrote, is that you are NOT the expert, Bill Big Dog Weeks is!! There is not doubt that you think you are right...so you get an atta boy and a gold star....feel better??

AS I said in my earlier post, there are pros and cons to each and every prop, and that Cliff should consult an actual "expert" who knows what they are talking about, not someone who thinks they do. Bill Big Dog Weeks, could very well be that person. Although I am not sure what good having me call him would do, as Cliff is the one with the questions, specially since the engine is being modified. Surely Bill Big Dog Weeks is busy, so there is no need for me to waste his valuable time. And dont' call me Shirley!!

Cliff, once you have determined the exact prop would best work for you, you can find used and even sometimes brand new props at the local prop repair shop, on ebay, ski it again, CL, etc. I purchased a used 515 and brand new 425 thru ebay I think for $200 and $225. I just sold a hand full of props thru CL...so they are out there.

And don't worry about the size of the prop's shaft size, should you go with a newer props that are 1 1/8" diameter, you can puchase a nylon shim that will allow you to put that 1 1/8" prop on your 1" diameter shaft, which is what you have on your Skier...The local prop shop said it works well to reduce the vibration being generated by the prop and being transmiteed back into the boat. I used that on several of the props I ran on my Skier. The shim will cost ya about $20-30.

Purda Vida

Edited by jkendallmsce

Well I guess that settles this tastes great..less filling debate. Cliff should call a reputable prop company such as OJ or Acme and see what someone who actually knows what they are talking about has to say...maybe Bill Big Dog Weeks fella is that person. I recall someone mentioning his name. Seems as if the bar for self proclaimed expert(s) keeps getting lowered.

Edited by [email protected]

Colin, you're right, and your results are typical. Some folks don't appear to understand the large performance distinction between the same diameter and pitch prop, one cast and one CNC'd. If the OP still running a cast prop, he, like you did, will see a large performance upgrade by going to a CNC'd prop, though four blade CNC not necessary. I think I mentioned it already, when the lightest slalom boat on the market (carbon pro) with the 409 still uses a 3 blade, tells you something about the traction a cnc 3 blade has! No need to give up the top end performance by using a 4 blade.

I don't know, since I am not an expert such as yourself, but in looking at the current Acme catalogue, there are quite a few 4 blades props. Maybe Acme and that Big Dog fella know something you, the self proclaimed expert, don't know?? Maybe they are for fishing boats, or some other application/type boat, other than ski, wake, and surf type boats.... thats the only thing I can think of as to why Acme would even make a 4 blade prop??

Maybe that big dog fella can straighten you out??

Edited by [email protected]
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow lots to read! Must be November. A couple of years ago Acme recommended the 541 to my similar boat. I owned this boat (sold now) for 12 years and was very pleased with the handling after the change. My favorite was that at wakeboard speed the boat sat a little higher in the nose and "plowed" which was perfect to give a little better wake, it also made it handle chop better (that's about the top speed I would run in chop!). Now at the top end we could still barefoot so I don't think I lost much. Acme talked me out of a four blade and I thoroughly enjoyed their recommendation. They also said what Barefoot was saying about the CNC machining.

This is just one guys story and I have a V drive with a four blade now, carry on!

I had the same exprerience going from 3 blade CVP bomb, to the 4 blade OJ Cast, to the 3 blade OJ 13X12. I agree with everything 85 Barefoor has said.

However I don't know what WAG is??

I had the same exprerience going from 3 blade CVP bomb, to the 4 blade OJ Cast, to the 3 blade OJ 13X12. I agree with everything 85 Barefoor has said.

However I don't know what WAG is??

Wild A$$ Guess

I learned a little from this thread. A 515 is on my Christmas list.