Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teakgate

martinarcher

martinarcher

Mark,

If you look back through this thread yo can see another crew member, edvlx, that had a fiberglass platform and modified it to make his gates fit just like a stock 13'/14' Malibu. It turned out awesome. Check it out.

Mark,

If you look back through this thread yo can see another crew member, edvlx, that had a fiberglass platform and modified it to make his gates fit just like a stock 13'/14' Malibu. It turned out awesome. Check it out.

Thanks Martin,

I pm'ed him to see if he has any additional info he could offer up before I start butchering a very expensive fiberglass swim platform. Hopefully he's still on the site and checking his pm's.

Mark

Sure thing. I hope it works out. Be sure to take pics and document your project. I'm sure many other members would love to see it! Good luck!

Will do... it's gonna be a fall/winter project, though. I don't wanna pull my boat out of the water this year - I'm having too much fun!

It looks like it's best to build and install the tabs before modding the swim grid - that way the grid can be modified to properly fit the retracted actuators.

I'm gonna order the parts for this so I can get going. It would be nice if there was a thread/post that had an entire bill of materials for the project. I've looked but haven't found one. It's obviously gonna vary from boat to boat but it'd be nice to have a starting point. Could I ask a few questions on the parts?

It looks from this thread like the 'de facto' actuator is still the Lenco 15059-001. Would you still say that's the one to go with?

Does the Lenco actuator come with the mounting brackets for both the transom side and the tab side? Or does this need to be purchased separately?

The tab material itself seems to be variable from your very sharp looking teak to aluminum to 1/2" plexi to UHMW cutting board material. All of these seem like they'd do the job - do you think there's a 'preferred' material - one that's easiest to work with or has some other characteristics that make it arguably better than the others?

Do you have a recommendation for the hinges? My gut tells me that piano-style hinge would be strongest but most of what I've seen use a couple of regular stainless butt hinges.

How does one determine how thick the transom is on their boat. Mine is a 2010 VLX - I'd prefer to keep the screws within the transom and not have to bolt through. I read in one of your previous threads that yours was 2.5" thick and you used 2.25" ss screws. That would be my preference too but I'm not sure how I'd determine how thick my transom is.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm in Canada and it's a lot more fuss for me to source parts and materials. Most online retailers take the boots to me over shipping. If shipping is free or $5 in the continental US it can easily be $75 to Canada.

Thanks!

Mark

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been searching for a while to see if you ever put the boxes themselves up for sale- or a kit or something?  Very interested in making this a winter project.

59 minutes ago, ilovetrains said:

I have been searching for a while to see if you ever put the boxes themselves up for sale- or a kit or something?  Very interested in making this a winter project.

Just search "Wake Logic" on the TMC home page.  Lots of successful installs.  Send @martinarcher a PM regarding buying a system.

• Like 1