Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Official Malibu Dealer service dept not using correct oil

I went to the Toyota dealer for a free oil change after I bought the 07 Camry new (hybrid). So when they were done I asked what oil they used they said 10w-30. So I popped the hood and showed them it said 5w-30. Yes they fixed it but I wasn't happy. What if my wife would have brought the car in. After the free one yes I do all my own work but hey it was free. lesson learned. Don't trust anyone with your things not even the dealer.

You are in MS, going with 10w or 5w should not make that much difference. The way I understand it, if you lived in colder climate it would be more of a concern. Of course, if something ever went wrong Toyota could give some grief over it.

You are in MS, going with 10w or 5w should not make that much difference. The way I understand it, if you lived in colder climate it would be more of a concern. Of course, if something ever went wrong Toyota could give some grief over it.

Gas mileage I did say Hybrid. And it is easer on the parts. But you are right it would be ok. It's just not the right oil that was the point.

If anyone likes to read and really wants to be a expert.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/1266801

Oil viscosity matters. But brand does NOT..... assuming it's a reputable name brand.

I've done the homework. Even worked for a mechanic for a few years & saw things first hand. I'm sold on Valvoline oil & Wix filters. Even if others are available, I know what I'm getting is the good stuff from these companies. And both companies package their products for shops like Napa, Carquest, O'Reillys, etc.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Oil viscosity matters. But brand does NOT..... assuming it's a reputable name brand.

I've done the homework. Even worked for a mechanic for a few years & saw things first hand. I'm sold on Valvoline oil & Wix filters. Even if others are available, I know what I'm getting is the good stuff from these companies. And both companies package their products for shops like Napa, Carquest, O'Reillys, etc.

100% agree on all but the filter. When it comes to filter if you want to be an expert this is for you. In the end Mobil 1 and K&N are the best with Toyota next.

This info

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/

I use Mobil 1 oil and filter 15,000 mile. Change every 10,000 in car and truck. I know we are talking about boats just thought I would put it out incase someone wanted to know.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Oil filter Gradesheet P/N Make Model 30um Filtering (wt 5) Overall Build Quality (wt 5) Media Surface Area (wt 1) Media Volume (wt 1) Price Paid (USD) (wt1.5) Final Grade PF1218 ACDelco n/a F F B A- B- 0.8 EaO24 Amsoil n/a A A- D+ D F 3.02 B1428 Baldwin n/a D B- B- A- D+ 1.99 3510 Bosch n/a C B- A- B- C 2.44 B4361 Carquest n/a D C+ C+ C A 1.99 LF3679 Fleetguard n/a C D+ D+ D+ B 1.75 DL5 Fram Defense C C- C- C- A 2.07 DG5 Fram Double Guard C+ C- C- C- D 1.84 HM5 Fram High Mileage B- D D C- C 1.53 PH5 Fram Extraguard D+ D C- C+ B 2 TG5 Fram Toughguard C- C C+ B- C- 1.93 HP4 Fram Racing C- C+ A B- D 2.09 XG5 Fram Xtended Guard A- A C A C- 3.49 OPH1218 Full n/a D C+ A C C 1.89 HP-3002 K&N n/a B A- B+ A F 3.02 PH1218 Luberfiner n/a C- C+ C C B- 2.08 ML1011 Mann n/a B- C- A B C 2.37 MGL9100 Microgard n/a B- D D D+ B- 1.84 M1-302 Mobil 1 n/a B A A- A D 3.27 FL12A Motorcraft n/a D+ C- B C+ D+ 1.65 21060 Napa Proselect C+ B+ B- C A 2.87 1060 Napa Gold C+ A- B- C+ C 2.81 PG4631 Premium guard n/a D+ B+ C D A- 2.34 PPL34631 Proline n/a D C- F D A- 1.49 PO4011 Pronto n/a C+ C N/A N/A A 2.04 L34631 Purolator Classic B B- C+ D+ B+ 2.74 PL34631 Purolator Pure-one C- B+ A- B+ C+ 2.63 30-1218 Royal Purple n/a A A C- F F 3.09 S17 Shell n/a F F F F A 0.44 S5 STP n/a F F B B B+ 0.81 51060 Wix n/a C A- B+ B+ C 2.82 Grades based off general A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, F scale A being the highest grade and F being the lowest. Better filteration earns a higher grade, better construction earns a higher grade lower prices earn a higher grade, higher surface area and volume earns a higher grade. Final grade is calculated the same as a GPA based on the 4 point system The higher the final grade, generally means a better overall filter. Catagories are weighted by importance, calculated weights are listed in column heading Filteration and build quality are somewhat objective so you can make your own judgments

Ran across this a few months ago...forgot the link...something to do with GM trucks though. The above are the results of a true scientific study, not just someone's opinion.

WIX, which is what I use, is definetly above avg, but there are a few better, just like ya said, the Mobil 1, Amsoil and Royal Purple topped the list.

Thanks for joggin my memory BT.

the data was in an excel spreadsheet...guess the pasting part is not working out...you can still decifer, just have to run along each line and read the text at the bottom explining their weighting system.

Use good oil, good filters and change both regularly, cause oil and filters are way cheaper than a new engine.

Edited by [email protected]

Another data point FWIW:

Once upon at time (1987), I began a log book for my brand new Malibu Skier with the Indmar model 300 SP engine. I religiously did service/maintenance myself including oil/filter changes every 50 hours using Castrol GTX 10-30 or 10-40 and (gak) Fram filters. After 1800+ hrs of trouble free operation, I had a meltdown of the engine due to a disintegrated impeller (totally MY fault for not paying attention). I had the engine torn down and totally rebuilt (.030" over, rebuilt heads, etc,etc). Besides the spun bearings from the overheat, the internals were very clean, and the engine ran like a top before I broke it.

I think more important than what you use for oil/filters, is how often you change it...

Again, FWIW... (Mobil-one/Wix/Napa Gold user)

Man you guy's are good. Amazing how interesting an oil topic can be ! What I get from this is I gotta get away from those cheapie fram filters.

What I do know is my old small block loves 20W-50 Castrol. To me, the other 10W's, etc, broke down quickly and returns to idle would see semi low pressure. But the Castrol just doesn't seem to break down. At all.

Knock on wood, it runs like a top at 1000 hours,

Steve B.

Yea, Google "oil filter comparison" sometime. Some very interesting reading. Like 6@ said, The top couple are pretty consistent, Mobile1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. And then it's always Wix. If I were running some high end engine, I'd run the high end stuff. But what the average guy needs is a filter that does the job, EVERYTIME I buy one. I will probably replace 7 or 8 of these Wix filters every year in my boat, truck, wife's car, my KLR & my golf cart. And I don't have issues with them, ever.

I am considering the Rotella 15-40 though. It seems to be easier to find & less expensive than the Napa/Valvoline stuff in the same viscosity.

Wix is definitely better than the average, and always easy to get your hands on. Although Steve B. The better FRAM, the extended guard scored a 3.49, scoring 3 As. I have never looked for that one, so not sure what the filter and or box look like.

Not included on the spreadsheet, but that same study measured 30 micron filtering ability for each filter (shown in the spreadsheet), and also 5 micron for the better filters. And they went on to say it is the 5 micron stuff that does the most damage.

I should start a new topic, but am new and don't know how to.

What is folks' opinion on oils for the transmission? Both DD and or vdrive? Conventional or synthetic.? I have always replace every other year using conventional, but am thinking about tryng synthetic, probably go with amsoil.

In a previous career, we had a few trucks, and ran amsoil in the differentials and transmissions. The synthetic amsoil would run cooler, as the diff and trans had a temp guage, so that was measurable, and the transmission seemed to run quieter, not so measurable.

I am not sure if Malibu says it is ok to run synthetics in the transmission?

Edited by [email protected]

Man you guy's are good. Amazing how interesting an oil topic can be ! What I get from this is I gotta get away from those cheapie fram filters.

What I do know is my old small block loves 20W-50 Castrol. To me, the other 10W's, etc, broke down quickly and returns to idle would see semi low pressure. But the Castrol just doesn't seem to break down. At all.

Knock on wood, it runs like a top at 1000 hours,

Steve B.

If you read the article from the post above on the oil just the high mileage oil I think you may like that part it fits what you are saying about your boat.

Yea, Google "oil filter comparison" sometime. Some very interesting reading. Like 6@ said, The top couple are pretty consistent, Mobile1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. And then it's always Wix. If I were running some high end engine, I'd run the high end stuff. But what the average guy needs is a filter that does the job, EVERYTIME I buy one. I will probably replace 7 or 8 of these Wix filters every year in my boat, truck, wife's car, my KLR & my golf cart. And I don't have issues with them, ever.

I am considering the Rotella 15-40 though. It seems to be easier to find & less expensive than the Napa/Valvoline stuff in the same viscosity.

I run my boat in 1st gear at 3,500 RPM all day so I would call mine a high end engine. :Tease3:

Wix is definitely better than the average, and always easy to get your hands on. Although Steve B. The better FRAM, the extended guard scored a 3.49, scoring 3 As. I have never looked for that one, so not sure what the filter and or box look like.

Not included on the spreadsheet, but that same study measured 30 micron filtering ability for each filter (shown in the spreadsheet), and also 5 micron for the better filters. And they went on to say it is the 5 micron stuff that does the most damage.

I should start a new topic, but am new and don't know how to.

What is folks' opinion on oils for the transmission? Both DD and or vdrive? Conventional or synthetic.? I have always replace every other year using conventional, but am thinking about tryng synthetic, probably go with amsoil.

In a previous career, we had a few trucks, and ran amsoil in the differentials and transmissions. The synthetic amsoil would run cooler, as the diff and trans had a temp guage, so that was measurable, and the transmission seemed to run quieter, not so measurable.

I am not sure if Malibu says it is ok to run synthetics in the transmission?

Click on the forums at the top click on the one that fits what you are wanting to talk about sales, Maintenance, ect. Then you will see only that topic to the right top of the screen it will say NEW that the spot.

Bill many of us in Canada are using 15-40 Shell Rotella as it is easy to get a hold of here....as are the Napa filters.

FYI for the DIYers.. I certainly would appreciate it if INDMAR would publish correct specs, both in their manual and the later released special advisory bulletin.

The Penzoil PZ3 is NOT the correct filter for the 2011+ 6.0l motor with remote filter assy. Sloppy BS.

I special ordered 3 of them from Bakes, and midway thru the oil change.... Although the filters are about the same size. The screw on lug on the filter is the wrong size!!! All of the reccended replvents are the wrong size.

After taking a dripping wet old filter to autozone I direct matched a Bosche.