Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Off Season Boat Projects - What Are You Doing?

Murphy8166

Get to know the boat, just got it a few weeks ago. Then...

Quick engine flush system

look into sound deadening in the engine compartment

Sound reduction on the exhaust

Build a cooler for under a seat

Maybe some stereo work, get a head unit I can plug an ipod into

Install an anchor light on top of the tower

Now that is a great idea, hard to misplace it in the boat when its attached to the seat!

No need on an Axis, there is one built into the underside of the tower mirror arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that is a great idea, hard to misplace it in the boat when its attached to the seat!

I ordered this but the screws seem very long like they could go up through the cushion. I am wary to install it. Did you install yet

Had to put the boat up a bit earlier this year with the up coming birth of our first child here in a couple weeks. As most of us do, I have already started working on a list of things I'd like to do over the winter. Here is my list!

Ballast Upgrades:

• Upgrade to 1100's in the rear compartments and a 370 under the passenger side seats
  • Plumb sacs in with Johnson reversible pumps
  • Reinforce engine divider panels
  • Upgrade from Acme 537 to 1235

Bimini Upgrades:

• Sew in large pockets on top of bimini top to hold surf boards

Stereo Upgrades:

• Upgrade interior speakers to the Wet Sounds XS-650's (this is pretty low priority_

Probably wont get started until after Turkey Day but looking forward to making it all happen.

What are your upgrades and plans for over the winter.

Congratulations on your new child coming into the world soon. I had to laugh, a newborn coming with a winter to do list on the boat... after my first kid I was so tired from sleep depervation any free moment was used for sleeping!

Let us know how that list works out! And great idea on the surf pockets for the bimini. Do you have the extra board racks? Those are a huge help to stow surf boards.

To Do:

Fix HDS leaks; pulled the cover and found the weeping in front and back of box.

Repair a few seams in the seats; pulled seats out and need to de-skin.

Fix and tune Stereo, and a few electrical issues and dress wiring.

General buff and fluff including polish of everything above rub-rail by someone qualified (not by me).

High-jack a tanker truck of 93 octane (just kidding).

Fix a couple paint chips on the trailer.

oh crap, I still gotta winterize the engine... :cry:

Edited by DWhynot

Congratulations on your new child coming into the world soon. I had to laugh, a newborn coming with a winter to do list on the boat... after my first kid I was so tired from sleep depervation any free moment was used for sleeping!

Let us know how that list works out! And great idea on the surf pockets for the bimini. Do you have the extra board racks? Those are a huge help to stow surf boards.

So far - I ordered all the parts for the ballast system. A step in the right direction.

Also decided that I am not going to upgrade the in boats

Yep I need to loose more then that!! Post season activities= I finished air brushing all the wakeboards and surfboard now I am painting skateboard decks and donating them to the kids at the local skate park. Give me something to practice painting and seeing the look on the kids faces is just priceless!

post-14907-0-40784200-1350494816_thumb.j

post-14907-0-09169600-1350494899_thumb.j

Edited by JAXONBOATS
  • Like 3

Looking to add a name decal, depth finder, and maybe upgrade speakers... Anyone have a good website to get the name decal? I'd like one for the stern and one for either side of the trailer.

Convencing my wife we NEED perfect pass.

I have a zero off on my Response. Wife loves it and so do I, especially when skiing. It makes her feel very comfortable when driving.

Looking to redo vinyl. Just had audio done this summer. other than interior and stipping decals on outside. Going to upgrade some engine parts/belt/gaskets/seals. Just to keep it fresh for spring.

• 5 months later...

So, how is everyone's projects coming? The snow is gone (finally) and the boat is unwrapped: My lakes webcam shows one last ice sheet floating around which should be broken up by the weekend...

To Do:

Fix HDS leaks; pulled the cover and found the weeping in front and back of box. Have materials to start this weekend
Repair a few seams in the seats; pulled seats out and need to de-skin. Done - need to re-install seats
Fix and tune Stereo, and a few electrical issues and dress wiring. In process...
General buff and fluff including polish of everything above rub-rail by someone qualified (not by me). Still thinking about how to handle this...
High-jack a tanker truck of 93 octane (just kidding). Not sayin' :whistle:
Fix a couple paint chips on the trailer. Have the touch-up paint and materials.

oh crap, I still gotta winterize the engine... :cry:Looking forward to the first run up on the trailer. :woot:

• Purchase/install a Polk Audio D5000.5 to run my in-boats and sub
  • By doing the above, rewire my tower speakers from 2-channel 2-ohm off my D4000.4 into 4-channel mode. This will add an additional 25 watts RMS for each tower speaker.
  • Install new sub and enclosure
  • Do a whole bunch of re-wiring to clean up the wire mess I currently have
  • Purchase/Install an Alpine Imprint box to better tune the audio
  • Purchase/Install either Clarion or Exile zone controller
  • Purchase/Install two dry cell batteries to relocate under the observer seat with a Perko switch + associated wiring
  • Hopefully someone will have a manual surf-gate for sale...purchase/install that
  • If #8 happens, re-plumb the Y-valve that feeds my underseat port bag to run off the bow pump instead of the starboard locker pump
  • Might do a ski locker bag. If so, bag + another reversible pump. Or not do #9 and Y-valve the ski locker bag with the front pump.
  • Replace skin on rear port seat as it has a tear in it
  • If I've got spare cash after all of this (probably not), replace manual wedge/bracket with a floating unit
  • Recarpet my bunks. Might replace the wood, need to replace the fasteners.
  • Interior LED upgrade. This is a mod for the wife...who I also informed will be funding that project. May do an underwater LED as well...again, funded by the wife if I do it.
  • Replace two of my broken bearing buddies. Likely have to replace the bearings on that axle as well.
  • Maybe do LED lighting on the trailer. Again, if cash is burning a hole in my pocket.
  • Maybe do 18" wheels with new fenders on the trailer. This may wait another year...I do have use for the current wheels/tires on the trailer for use on my car hauler though.
I'm sure there is more I will edit/add to this list.

1. Done

2. Done

3. Will be done on Monday once my sub arrives

4. Done

5. Done

6. Not going to do. Not sure why I wanted to do that when I got the Imprint box

7. Done

8. Will be building my own as the next project once I tidy up the rest of the stereo project

9. Not going to do that. Decided as-is will work better

10. Ordering these parts in a week. But instead, will be having the ski locker bag fill up then overflow into the bow bag.

11. Have been waiting on Chee for a month and a half to send me the skin. Sent an e-mail a couple days with no response...getting a little concerned on this one.

12. Bracket has been purchased, still waiting to find a good deal on the wedge

13. Summer project

14. Will start that project (doing RGB App enabled controller) in a couple of weeks. Not sure on when I will do the transom lighting

15. Will get to that in a couple of weeks

16. Ehh, probably next fall for this one

17. Want to get this done some time in June...maybe.

My intentions, versus complete...

• Replace tower speakers with Pro 696's - Done!
  • Add ski rack to tower - Done!
  • Install Marine EQ - Almost Done
  • Add new amp, wire in cabin speakers - Not Started yet
  • Install Runway Lighting on Trailer - Done!

So, not bad. A couple of items to go and then back onto the water!

Sub box

Possibly surf gate

Possibly new spinner racks

Possibly new over tower cover

Pr of exile xm9s and harpoon amp

Fresh Air Exhaust

SS emblems

Set up bow ballast bag

Clean, clean, clean!

1 not doing this year

2 didn't do

3 done!

4 done!

5 not doing this year

6 didn't do

7 lead instead

8 done!

Unfortunately for me I didn't get much done for the winter since the boat sits outside.

But I have a tonne planned for the summer.

1. Redo speaker wiring - Done

2. Install speakers & amp - Almost done

3. Tidy up all wiring - Not started (have the necessities)

4. Repair fiberglass & gelcoat - Not started (have the necessities)

5. Complete inside and out cleaning - Not started (have the necessities)

6. Setup ballast system - Not started (have the necessities)

7. Purchase/Install heater system - Not started

8. Repair trailer lights/side wheel panels - Not started

Most of my winter was picking away at finding parts, toys, and whatever else I thought I'd want for this summer. I can say I spent a few $$$ for things I might not even get to, haha.

I've gotten a few things done this year......

- new above the tower bimini

- new PTM Edge mirror & a Sunbrella cover

- new trailer guide pad covers made of Sunbrella

- Exile tower SXT65Q speakers

- sold the old bimini, mirror & speakers for almost $1000 total.

Still hoping to get a chance to install the solar pump in the heater line to improve heat at idle speeds. But our forecast says rain, snow & wind for the weekend. WISH I HAD A SHOP!!