Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will all the new MXZ models spell the end for VLX, VTX and LSV?

oceanbu

A couple of things. 1) I read somewhere where the MXZ has 1 square foot more room in the bow and the VLX has 1 square foot more in the cockpit despite being a 100" beam so the interior is the same size essentially. Don't remember where I read that, or if it's even true but it makes sense to me. 2) The MXZ is more expensive because of the design. The seat bases are glassed in instead of the L bracket like the VLX. There is also more fiberglass used in the MXZ not only because of the picklefork, but also because it is a bigger boat overall. 21'6" vs. 22'3" and 100" vs. 102" beams.

Still don't see why Malibu would keep the VLX and the MXZ.

The VLX and MXZ are totally different boats:

• Different length
  • Different width
  • Different bow
  • Different transom
  • Different styling
  • Different wake
  • Different price point
  • And for all those reasons... they appeal to different buyers

A better question would be, why WOULDN'T they keep the VLX and the MXZ?

Think of it this way... Malibu has two distinct product lines:

1. Traditional Boats: 20, 21, 23, & 25
  2. Picklefork Boats: 20, 22, & 24

The MXZ's fill in the gaps left in the VTX/VLX/LSV line. Why do they need this...? Because pickleforks are very polarizing... folks either love them or hate them. With both product lines Malibu has a model that appeals to every wakeboat buyer. It's all about market fragmentation... it's common in every industry.

Edited by IXFE

isn't the mxz just an upgraded axis?when the axis first came out i thought it was just the ugly duckling --so they could ask less $$ for the similar boat.the v drive i dont realy understand either.these boats cost similar to produce.just,justification to lower the price for market share.these are all custom hand built 1 at a time.So, why not have all models if someone wants it?Although, it can be confusing to the outsider.My dealer said he could still order that model that had 2 seperate sitting areas(cant remember model #).

isn't the mxz just an upgraded axis?

Totally different boat with only a few shared parts (and would be the same parts Axis shares with other Malibus). Just because they are both pickle fork boats doesn't mean they are the same boat.

You will never see me in a pickle fork boat. I am old and love the lines on a traditional boat. I seam to remember pickle fork boats back in the 60'S , came and went.

I have no use for one as a skier, If I could not get other then a pickle fork I would not even look at a Bu. I know I am an old fart set in my ways! ;)

i heard there is a bow cover coming that has no snaps.

Snaps or no snaps, a canvas cover does not do it for me. A mould taken off of the 97-00 Corvette boat top deck fitted somehow would be what I'm looking for. :rockon:

The VLX and MXZ are totally different boats:

• Different length
  • Different width
  • Different bow
  • Different transom
  • Different styling
  • Different wake
  • Different price point
  • And for all those reasons... they appeal to different buyers

The MXZ's fill in the gaps left in the VTX/VLX/LSV line. Why do they need this...? Because pickleforks are very polarizing... folks either love them or hate them. With both product lines Malibu has a model that appeals to every wakeboat buyer. It's all about market fragmentation... it's common in every industry.

Good points about the VLX and the MXZ being totally different. I still think they are aimed at the same niche of the market. However, you have a good point that the MXZ fills a further niche of the market for the Malibu guy that wants a hardcore wakeboat like the VLX but wants it to be a pickle fork. In the past I guess Malibu would lose this guy to Mastercraft or someone else or Axis for that matter.

This makes me think that maybe there is room for both boats. Personally, if I was in the market for a new boat I can only go so wide on my boat lift so I might need to stick with a VLX.

Do you think they will eventually offer an MXZ in the Vride configuration for guys that want a stripped down version and not have to pay so much money? Or is that basically Axis?

I went from a traditional bow,,, to a picklefork... then back to traditional. After having owned one, my belief is that the picklefork offers no extra value. The bow isn't necessarily bigger, it's just a different shape (wider while also being shorter). And if you have to give up cockpit space, what's the point??

Also, I found the picklefork harder to trailer (ever heard of the term "picklefork your truck), harder to store in the garage, harder to maneuver around docks, etc. I really think it's just a look some people like. I can understand that because I think the MXZ is beautiful. But as far as function, I'll take the traditional bow every time.

Good points about the VLX and the MXZ being totally different. I still think they are aimed at the same niche of the market. However, you have a good point that the MXZ fills a further niche of the market for the Malibu guy that wants a hardcore wakeboat like the VLX but wants it to be a pickle fork. In the past I guess Malibu would lose this guy to Mastercraft or someone else or Axis for that matter.

This makes me think that maybe there is room for both boats. Personally, if I was in the market for a new boat I can only go so wide on my boat lift so I might need to stick with a VLX.

Do you think they will eventually offer an MXZ in the Vride configuration for guys that want a stripped down version and not have to pay so much money? Or is that basically Axis?

it's easy to see where the need for the MXZ came from... the MC X-Star ('03 - '11) was a 22' picklefork boat that got ALOT of sales and attention. Then MC added the X-25 to the mix... a 21.5' picklefork that launched to rave reviews (which have since died down). Then you had the Tige RZ2, also a popular 22' picklefork. Malibu simply had to respond, and I think they got it right. I'd take the MXZ over both those MC's and the Tige (X-star is tiny tiny inside and X-25 transom seats are a gimick, imho).

I've even wondered if the Axis A22 was inspiration for Malibu. Perhaps the success of that 22' picklefork surprised them and proved there was a real market for that size and configuration. Now you have Supra entering the mix with their new 22' picklefork. It's becoming a crowded segment.

I'm with you, though... I like the VLX better. But again, the VLX is significantly cheaper so it draws a different buyer. When I bought my VLX last year, I didn't even entertain the MXZ. In fact, I'd buy a 23 LSV before I considered an MXZ.

As far as a V-Ride MXZ, I can't speak for Malibu but I don't see that happening. Who knows... they've surprised us before!

Edited by IXFE

I agree with this, and I think that Malibu has done a good job of introducing more options without overlapping with existing models too much. Mastercraft has so many models that are nearly the same size it can be confusing, and it looks like they are phasing out some of them now.

Malibu was smart not to make the new pickle forks an order of magnitude more expensive than the traditional lineup. With Nautique you have the 230 and G23, both at 23 feet. The G23 is obviously a much bigger boat, but it's just so much more expensive. So the 230, which is a great boat and was the Nautique flagship, is now just the "budget" 23 foot boat if you can't afford the G23. If they come out with a reasonably priced G21 I don't see many people buying the 210 either. But maybe that is their plan.

I like the conventional bow better and like that the main cockpit in the VLX was bigger than the MXZ. If I had kids maybe that would change and I'm glad that Malibu is giving us both options. I don't think the VLX is going anywhere and I think phasing it out would be a mistake. I think the biggest advantage of the pickle fork is that you can add more weight in the nose. Look at what the A22 can do with the 950lb bow triangle under the seats. I'm not sure why Malibu didn't take advantage of this with the MXZ and give it a larger bow tank.