Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 MXZ Spray Gate

pkh

If you buy a Ferrari and don't drive it properly, it's not the Ferrari's fault.

If you buy a Wakeboard - Surf boat and don't weight it properly, it's not the boat's fault.

Peter.

You right it's not the boat's fault. Maybe it's the engineers. Were they told by the marketing crew that customers will be weighting the boats excessively to make the wave larger and longer? Who ever the blame should be on it's not the end user. It's pretty clear the plate needs to be re-shaped to fit the stern of the boat better. Maybe Malibu should offer a taller plate? Maybe someone should built a taller plate and sell them aftermarket style. What ever it is it's not acceptable in my opinion.

I can understand both sides here. Personally from my perspective I'm persnickety about things and would want it to look clean, but I also have a very functional focused side of me that knows the spray doesn't affect functionality. I don't think what we're seeing is an unsolvable problem and I would hope malibu focuses on refining the gate over time.

Remember the wedge? It had it's history of issues with the 4 screw wedges turning into 6 screw wedges and ultimately completely welded designs (floating wedge). I would imagine we will see the same refining being done over time for the gate. I do see the value in pointing out flaws however small because it fuels this process.

Side note: On the most recently posted video it never ceases to amaze me when people ride without life jackets. #1 way to point out you are rash and thoughtless.

Side note: On the most recently posted video it never ceases to amaze me when people ride without life jackets. #1 way to point out you are rash and thoughtless.

What are you talking about? I mean if the dude falls wrong, smacks his head on the board or swim deck and get's knocked out he will be ok right? I mean an unconscious person that exhales their air and inhales water still float don't they?

Must be winter's coming. Forum use is going up and getting cranky. There's lots of boats out there, and hopefully everyone gets a really good idea going in, just exactly what it is they are buying. And once they make that decision hopefully it continues to be the right decision for them. All boats, models, and features can be improved upon, but complaining about something that one doesn't even have, and quite possibly has never even used.... well, I don't think that's a good viewpoint.

...but of course, this is just my viewpoint. And there are so many ways to see it. It's great to be able to understand and disagree at the same time.

:)

Must be winter's coming. Forum use is going up and getting cranky. There's lots of boats out there, and hopefully everyone gets a really good idea going in, just exactly what it is they are buying. And once they make that decision hopefully it continues to be the right decision for them. All boats, models, and features can be improved upon, but complaining about something that one doesn't even have, and quite possibly has never even used.... well, I don't think that's a good viewpoint.

...but of course, this is just my viewpoint. And there are so many ways to see it. It's great to be able to understand and disagree at the same time.

:)

Can you provide pictures or videos of a properly weighted MXZ with surfgate? I am not saying that you are wrong, but every other boat that I have seen (tested a VLX in person) did not have this issue. It seems like the SG system on this boat is not functioning like the other boats.

I want to be proven wrong on this because the MXZ is the boat we are leaning towards.

UPDATE: Looks like this isn't a 24 MXZ after all, but an LSV.

Ya the 24 looks fine in the vids I have seen. Here's another vid of the 24 looking absolutely perfect:

Food for thought if you are thinking MXZ so far looks like the 24 has a much better wave than 22 (no spray.)

Edited by pkh
  • Like 1

good catch Jeff, I wouldn't have noticed that. That isn't an MXZ. I would agree from the other real 24 MXZ video the spray doesn't seem to be there which is nice. Maybe I'll be able to afford a 24 MXZ some say. Can someone buy one now in black and green and sell it to me used in about 4 years please? Thanks!

Edited by wakeboarder3780

I can't help but think that if a 24 MXZ can throw a clean wake the 22 MXZ can too. The front and rear of them is exactly the same. This would confirm a misweighted 22 MXZ suggestion we have already discussed. The gates are the same and everything. Now, I understand bigger is usually better with surfing, however, I think surfgate helps level the playing field. I also understand that the MXZ is a little tougher to dial in the surf wave without surfgate, so I am sure it is no different with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I surfed behind a 22 MXZ with surfgate. There definately was spray. It was the first time the dealer had it out and we did not take much time to "dial it in". We had stock ballast full and 450 lbs in each of the rear lockers. We also put 450 lbs in front. (Why only 450? That is all he brought.) The spray did not effect the wave for me at all. It was a fun wave to surf. I had a lot of push and speed. I have some pics that I will post later.

I also plan on surfing the 24 MXZ soon and will take more time to dial in the wake and post some pics.

• 4 months later...

Does the spray really matter?

im with you on this one here.. does it really matter? by the looks of the "spray" it only goes back like 2' maybe.. and lets face it.. your surfing behind a boat... theres a HUGE spray in the middle of it. :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

You guys may have seen these videos too...

To my eye, both vids seem to show a nice long wave with a lot of push...the spray doesn't seem to effect the wake at all

I don't know, I want a clean wave as much as the next guy, but I'll put up with a little spray to have all the other great things that the 24 MXZ brings to the table

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't do anything to make the wake "bigger" really, it just turns a normal washed out wake into a surfable wave. The wave size is pretty similar to what can be achieved with listing the boat. Its mostly the convenience of not listing your boat that it buys you.

It doesn't do anything to make the wake "bigger" really, it just turns a normal washed out wake into a surfable wave. The wave size is pretty similar to what can be achieved with listing the boat. Its mostly the convenience of not listing your boat that it buys you.

By listing do you mean putting people on one side? If so is this bad for the engine? I just bought a 2012 mxz without surfgate and im trying to make the best surf wake. Not trying to add any extra weight though.

People AND weight on one side, yes. I've not tried to surf an mxz with just stock but it will just get better. what surfgate absolutely allows you to do is surf with just stock weight because it allows "more" weight to be added as it doesn't rely on a list.