Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

One of my (unanticipated) favorite things about boating

shawndoggy

• 5 months later...

I took the survey, it basically re-affirms my idea that before the 8 track tape or the cassette tape music was an activity. Once we broke free of the record player, music became a constant in the background of almost everything we do.

ha I just did the survey too... funny that some of the dorris day / johnny mathis era brought out some very specific memories of the muzak tape that played at the department store I worked out in high school

• 7 years later...

Apparently it is all about the coffee

while this article  was published a few years ago, I just read it tonight. Brilliant, turns out the secret was maxwell house.

my memory: Tom Petty’s Damn the Torpedoes/Refugee Concert at The Frank Erwin in Austin circa 1981, four nonstop  hours from the floor. 

Edited by Bozboat

Man, what a great thread!  I missed it the first time around but sure enjoyed reading it today.

Music is a huge part of my life.  It was for my parents, and grandparents as well.  I have never been a musician, but I have always been passionate about music.  I have a love and certainly an appreciation for nearly all genres in some form or another.  Some of my best childhood memories are of cruising on my grandparents houseboat, always with big band era music playing.  We still play it in the boat as the sun is setting on summer evenings.  I grew up on everything from classic rock, to country, to hip hop & R&B, and house/electronic.  I love it all.  I enjoy going through phases now where I rediscover old favorites, and just as this thread describes, those old favorites are almost always connected to a specific memory, event, or time frame.  It is said that smell is the sense that is most closely linked to memory....but I would argue that music is even more closely linked!  So many songs/albums that instantly take me back the moment they come on.

And I still love discovering new music too!  My kids are just now getting to the age where they are developing their own taste in music, but they always love listening on car rides and in the boat - usually asking me to play it LOUDER!  That's why a good stereo is so important!

Can't wait for the next jam session in the boat when the weather warms up....

• Like 3