Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

One of my (unanticipated) favorite things about boating

shawndoggy

I reckon that's one of the reasons we all spend thousands on crazy audio systems in our boats. I love hanging out behind the boat and swimming while a favorite playlist is on. Our family loves music...when my folks had their Cobalt and we were kids, they had a crazy good (for the time) audio system and an 8 track player

Dr. Dre's The Chronic 2001 - reminds me of a trip to Hawaii in high school. I bought the CD at the airport during a 12 hour layover. Listened to it non-stop.

Oasis's Morning Glory - reminds me of a long weekend ski trip. It was the only cd we had and no radio reception so we listened to it on repeat.

Moulan Rouge Soundtrack - When my wife and I first started dating she wasn't old enough to drive and I had a pretty big system in my 4-runner. She loved to listen to that crap on full blast, belting out all the words.

We are an old crew

there's still youth in here! ;)

Ah, they heyday of fraternity mayhem. Dunno how it is at your alma mater Boz, but at mine those sorts of shenanigans don't go down any more. Which I don't really mind seeing as my 16 y/o daughter will be heading off to college in a couple of years. I don't really want her meeting the 18 year old me when she gets there!

Good, it's working now dad's will think we're not obnoxious and reckless in college and will trust us! :cheers:

Great thread!

I grew up on classic rock and still love it all! I was however a music major in college and have a tremendous love for hard core progressive Jazz. VERY few people enjoy that kind of music, so I'm often on my own listening to it and it does not hit the boat much. When I hear that music that I love so dearly, it takes me to an entirely different place as some of you, yet one equally filled with debauchery of a different nature.

Typically, we have Segar, Eagles, Stones, as well as a plethora of old school funky music (Tower of Power, Ohio Players, etc.) and motown running in our rig. I love all the old stax-volt records as well. As said before, as long is it's "good music" then it has a place on my boat.

A very famous musician, Duke Ellington, was once quoted "There are two types of music in the world; good music and bad music". I live by this.

Good, it's working now dad's will think we're not obnoxious and reckless in college and will trust us! :cheers:

Nope, I am sorry but it doesn't work that way. We are all living in a more restrictive time. While those of us who went through high school and college before cell phones, DVD players and digital media were less restrained, had more freedom, and enjoyed a general anonymity, the experience left us with the knowledge of how things went in the college and high school circles and how easily things can go wrong. Now that we have kids that are in high school or approaching college, we (or at least I am) appreciate that the modern college student simply does not have the freedom to grow up and mature in the way that earlier generations grew up and matured. Today there is dramatically less room and certainly less tolerance for obnoxious and reckless behavior as we are all living in an environment where our every action is being digitally recorded and within a few seconds could be replayed for the entire world to comment upon. Good luck to you in college, but be aware that today's student, and the rest of us for that matter, are all one semi viral youtube video from ruin. Now let me go back to Hotel California

Edited by Bozboat

This past weekend we had two boats on the water, while one was off towing wakeboarders, we had my boat anchored in a little cove with the radio on. The kids that wanted to swim were in the water, the adults that wanted to be lazy were scattered around in the boat dozing in and out of sleep. There is something that goes very well together about being on the water and music. It's like apple pie and ice cream.

Funny I read this today. Usually my XM is on Fox news in the morning when I turn it on from the night before. This morning it was on a classic rock station. Reeling in the years by Steely Dan was playing taking me back to my Senior year in high school driving my 1964 Ford Falcon Ranchero. I had the Ranchero painted Lime Green, anyone remember the wet look colors from the mid seventies ?

Good timing on the thread.

This thread is perfect! My ipod is a bizarre mix of everything. We went to the lake last night for some barefooting. My 6 year old daughter just wanted to swim. So, after some fried chicken on the pier, I conceded, and we drove the boat out to the middle of the GLASSSSS for a swim. I cranked "Call Me Maybe" for her, freakin' blasting, with all of us jumping off the platform. So glad I updated that stereo, it sounded great. A couple of weeks ago she requested Jimmy Buffet "Banana Wind", said it reminds her of summer at the lake. I asked her what other songs did, and she replied "One Love" (Bob Marley). What a cool kid.

Changing gears completely - does anyone have any good memories of The Cars - "Moving in Stereo"? I was at it with a girl my HS sophmore year and we put this record on. But the auto-replay feature was stuck at 45, and not 33. It kept playing that song over, and over, and over. Hot summer night. I remember that night well.

Edited by Michigan boarder

For me and my HS girl it ended up being Ritual de lo Habitual from Jane's Addiction. We had been into their music for a while and it was this one and Nothing's Shocking (Mountain song, Jane Says) in the regular rotation.

Still remember her giggles every time Been Caught Stealing started with the dogs barking. She also refused to listen to the song Classic Girl because of some deep trauma associated with it outside of her time with me. I've owned the album 22 years and still listen to it regularly, but have never listened to that song. :dontknow:

The Cars, Candy 0 tour, maybe 1979-80? one of the first concerts I got to attend. I remember the volume and the clarity was insane much louder and clearer than my system, which was consisted of a Craig 8 Track player, a pair of Jenson Triaxle 6x9s and a Whites Auto 150w Power booster which had one button, on/off. TheTHD that had to be at least 5%

jkendallmsce

People always ask what kind of music I like. My answer: "Good music.". It doesn't matter the genre or year it was made. If it's GOOD MUSIC, I'll probably like it. I just don't like anything too "heavy". Like hardcore rap, or house, or death metal that's just a bunch of screaming...

Good music will last forever...like the eagles, zepplin, bad co. etc.....I hear a lot of the kids playing 70s- and 80s.

and ya some of the new music is pretty dang good....althought most I would classify as noise.

This thread is perfect! My ipod is a bizarre mix of everything. We went to the lake last night for some barefooting. My 6 year old daughter just wanted to swim. So, after some fried chicken on the pier, I conceded, and we drove the boat out to the middle of the GLASSSSS for a swim. I cranked "Call Me Maybe" for her, freakin' blasting, with all of us jumping off the platform. So glad I updated that stereo, it sounded great. A couple of weeks ago she requested Jimmy Buffet "Banana Wind", said it reminds her of summer at the lake. I asked her what other songs did, and she replied "One Love" (Bob Marley). What a cool kid.

Changing gears completely - does anyone have any good memories of The Cars - "Moving in Stereo"? I was at it with a girl my HS sophmore year and we put this record on. But the auto-replay feature was stuck at 45, and not 33. It kept playing that song over, and over, and over. Hot summer night. I remember that night well.

call me maybe has definitely been this summer's boat memory. Oh and this one (UGH! but the kids love it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HeE6NWmDE

For me and my HS girl it ended up being Ritual de lo Habitual from Jane's Addiction. We had been into their music for a while and it was this one and Nothing's Shocking (Mountain song, Jane Says) in the regular rotation.

Still remember her giggles every time Been Caught Stealing started with the dogs barking. She also refused to listen to the song Classic Girl because of some deep trauma associated with it outside of her time with me. I've owned the album 22 years and still listen to it regularly, but have never listened to that song. :dontknow:

I'm sure I've got Jane Says and Sympathy for the Devil from the orignal XXX Jane's Addiction album on my boat playlist...

Jane%27s_Addiction_album.jpg

call me maybe has definitely been this summer's boat memory. Oh and this one (UGH! but the kids love it):

Wow. That was tremendously bad.

Luckily my son is into Foo Fighters and other actual music. We do have to occasionally play some Disney jams for my 9yo daughter, though. We can usually get away with Black Eyed Peas or something to keep her happy.

Wow. That was tremendously bad.

Luckily my son is into Foo Fighters and other actual music. We do have to occasionally play some Disney jams for my 9yo daughter, though. We can usually get away with Black Eyed Peas or something to keep her happy.

Oh it is bad, and the kids know it, which is why it gets in the playlist so much. Kindof a running joke more than anything. Plus, you know, hot girls have problems too.

Oh it is bad, and the kids know it, which is why it gets in the playlist so much. Kindof a running joke more than anything. Plus, you know, hot girls have problems too.

Those aren't hot girls! ;)