Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Hull Cleaner?

CElliott00

Muratic Acid is working, not going to be really fun laying under the boat. It is thick.  Also think soaking the hull in water would help, but don't really have a place to soak it for few hours. I could hook up the sprinkler and let it go for a while. :)

Thanks guys.

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2016 at 8:38 AM, Michigan boarder said:

Tony's would do it, with no effort.  Muraitic Acid (dilute as preferred) also would work.  I use it straight 100%, makes very short work of all that stuff.  Available at the hardware store.

Wow did the muriatic acid work well!  And easy.  Applied using a deck scrubbing brush on the end of a sturdy broom handle.  Just brush a it on and let it sit about 2 minutes.  No hard scrubbing :yahoo:

Now for the safety warnings:

I did it on the lift - cantilever with 3/4 inch rope securing the movable cross members to the fixed cross menbers.  If it was going to fail it would have to be a major piece of aluminum spontaneously snapping.

Nice breeze blowing under the lift and I stayed up wind of the acid and where I was applying it.  Wore hat, rubber gloves, and goggles and was ready to duck under water if I felt a drip.

Did 1/3rd of each side at a time and rinsed with the hose - then lowered the whole boat in the water when done.

Try to keep it off the metal parts.  I did discolor a few spots on the fins but don't really care.  The bottom is finally clean.

• Like 1

I recently bought on off because I had not seen this tread and it works fantastic.  As stated earlier, DO NOT BREATHE IT IN.  This stuff is nasty. 

Does anyone have an tips to keep the waterline from reappearing?  I often leave my boat on the delta for 1 to 2 nights and it will come right back.  I am super anal so its quite annoying having to use that stuff at least once a month. 

you need the get some wax on the boat. The acid strips all the crap off the hull and also opens up every pore in the gelcoat. It'll get dirty fast after an acid wash. If you just take a rag and rub the water line when it is sitting in the water it'll help keep it from building up. I do it a couple times a day during cabin week when the boat is in the water for 7 days straight. Comes out clean if I don't let it dry on there.

How about Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF?

Boat is on the lift every night.  Maybe in the water 24 hours per week on average.

To be honest with myself, I'm not going to be wiping the boat off or waxing it every day or even every week.  It's a toy, not a trophy :cheers:

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

you need the get some wax on the boat. The acid strips all the crap off the hull and also opens up every pore in the gelcoat. It'll get dirty fast after an acid wash. If you just take a rag and rub the water line when it is sitting in the water it'll help keep it from building up. I do it a couple times a day during cabin week when the boat is in the water for 7 days straight. Comes out clean if I don't let it dry on there.

I will need to do a good wax job but I did throw some boat bling quicky wax on after I washed it. Good idea on wiping throughout the day though.