Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What brackets for rev 10's on illusion x tower

aquaman

It's a LED sandwich piece that come with the LED kit along with the opaque grill. You can run just the ring between the normal grill or run both like I have. The whole thing lights up, sides and front. What you see in my profile pics are my old REV8's that I didn't have the opaque grill, just the LED rings.

I'm running mine without the stainless inserts, but I think it looks better with them on.

Edited by calilsv

Murphy, thanks I'm talking to David at earmarks.

CAlilsv, did you need any special bolts for doing swivel mounts up top? I was told so. Also do you know if the led rings will fit using 4 x mounts and no swivels? I don't want the opaque grill bc my boat is all black and orange. Thanks

They were concerned that the addition of the led ring will make the top speaker hit the front lower one while using 4 xmounts.

That may be true, I know they don't with the swivel on top. The x mount just brings the top speaker closer to the tower, i'm not sure that would effect how close it is to the bottom pair.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up this old topic, but I am researching new tower speakers and the more I search and read the more confused I get about what the heck to put on my tower.

I have the illusion X tower and went to look at the REV 10's yesterday and they are damn big. For you guys with the REV 10's on the illusion X tower how is your head room and where do you have them mounted(what mount also). If I put a single pair on the tower in the upper mount will my Samson typhoon racks in the lower board rack mount still be able to swing in?

Dealer didn't have the REV 10's up and able to play yet so I didn't get a chance to hear them to see if they are worth it over the REV 8's lets say if I end up worried about head room with the illusion X. I am more after really good SQ in the boat and as far back as you can get with that in mind. I don't want ear piercing shrill noise in the boat so I am still not sure if I want HLCD's at this point, but I keep reading on hear how smooth the REV 10's sound(not sure if this applies to the REV 8's also).

However I am thinking REV 8's or REV 10's are going to be a huge sound quality and sound producing improvement over my 1 pair of titan cans with 6.5" MB Quarts speakers inside that I have now. Big concern now is will the REV 10's fit well enough on an illusion X tower to allow board rack function and not be blocked by the bimini? I am a die hard wakeboarder at heart so I won't give up board rack function and such to fit on big cool cans!

black06VLX,

There are a few general acoustic principles that you cannot avoid or change.

*Greater speaker surface area, and especially greater pod displacement, dictates that you will have a warmer texture and deeper midbass extension. A 10-inch speaker has enough midbass cone to better offset and balance with an aggressive horn loaded compression tweeter. A greater number of smaller speakers in enough quantity can produce more output but cannot lower the bass extension. In other words, ten speakers of a certain size play louder but not any lower than a single speaker of that same size.

*The louder you play at the end of the rope, the louder it is INSIDE the boat. You cannot escape this. The difference in dispersion pattern between different types of speakers (direct radiating versus horn, etc.) is minimal. A direct dome disperses it's radiation over a slightly wider pattern that also means the energy dissipates a little quicker (or shorter in distance). As much of the annoyance in the boat is from the non-linear response and overly aggressive treble...as is from the shear amplitude. And it's an area that we are particularly sensitive to. An over-driven speaker or over-driven amplifier makes matters worse. A larger and warmer speaker with some extra amplifier headroom can help this somewhat. But ultimately output at the end of the rope means more output in the boat. An EQ can help tame the little peaks but will also will tame the long distance projection. In the end, you have to prioritize your objectives and make some small compromise in one performance aspect or another.

*Fewer and higher positioned tower speakers can have an advantage, especially on a forward leaning and lower tower.

*A swivel collar can make a difference on a tower speaker that is mounted on a verticle surface such as a cast arch. This allows you to aim the speaker upwards when you are pulling and squatted.

As for what will fit? Take the known pod diameter and known stand-off from the arch with the swivel collar and construct a crude posterboard template. You can even make a second shape to approximate the depth and contour. Hold it up against the tower or even tape it in place long enough to establish clearances and comfort levels.

David