Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how many of you guys/girls use helmets

mali_vride

two blown ear drums is why I love my helmet with ear flaps...but I only wear it when I know I will be falling a lot.

In that case you best wear it all the time. Surprised.gifTease.gif

Yes I'm buying one this yr and will be wearing it all the time. Even when driving the boat. Crazy.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• doughickey

• jetskipro550

• hyperlitenerd

two blown ear drums is why I love my helmet with ear flaps...but I only wear it when I know I will be falling a lot.

Yes I'm buying one this yr and will be wearing it all the time. Even when driving the boat. Crazy.gif

Got a little DougHickey in ya, dontcha? Biggrin.gif

You don't need to wear your helmet while driving, just make sure you have your lanyard on ROFL.gif

Edited by jetskipro550
Ha ha ha,

Mike admitted he wakeboards. ROFL.gif

Mike? :unsure: Mike who? Dontknow.gif - - - - - Whistling.gif

Ya, OK...I wakeboard. But only when I'm too tired to ski. Wakeboarding requires very little physical strength, that's why it's so popular... Tongue.gif

JOKE! JOKE! Biggrin.gif Let's not have another skier vs boarder argument.

Got a little DougHickey in ya, dontcha? Biggrin.gif

I think that's a compliment.....

(For the record...... although my initial perforated eardrum was the result of a barefoot fall decades ago, the straw that broke the camel's back was a low speed 15 mph wakeboard fall about 5 years ago. Simply smacked the water going sideways.....)

Despite the fact that I "know" how to ski........ like all of us, we all are constantly trying to get better... pushing the envelope.... improving our personal best. Sure I know how to tuck when I fall, and wrap my arms around my head and face..... but let's face it..... things happen awful fast.

Net is, me & my kids, all use helmets. Me, because I have to. Them, so they won't get busted eardrums and end up with partial deafness, potential for middle ear infections the rest of their life. Like seatbelts, start them young, it just becomes second nature.

PoTec "Ace-Wake" with removeable Ear Flaps!!!! (The "Ace Water" doesn't have the ear flaps.) Also, suggest you get the 2005 model or later. Improved head support in the rear, and better sizing options.

Yes I'm buying one this yr and will be wearing it all the time. Even when driving the boat.
Greg, you're killing me, man! ROFL.gif

I sure wish I was wearing my helmet the day I was running caulk around the siding of my house that cost me 4 stitches to the back of my head. I told the woman stitchin' my head that I was practicing falling off my front porch. Biggrin.gif

Ya, OK...I wakeboard. But only when I'm too tired to ski. Wakeboarding requires very little physical strength, that's why it's so popular...
Mike, if you really wanna do something that has little strain, ride a foil. You're old enough to buy one now. Thumbup.gif
Mike, if you really wanna do something that has little strain, ride a foil. You're old enough to buy one now. Thumbup.gif

Ranting.gif I am NOT!! But you are. Tongue.gif

I've ridden one before (several times)...just not my thing. I'm sure the backflips are a challenge but riding it and doing just straight jumps was kinda boring. No offense to all the foilers out there. It just didn't do it for me...to each his own. :)

Ranting.gif I am NOT!!

Yeah, you are.

Doug, shave those arms, man. You'll ski faster and won't get yanked into the water during your on-side cut.

To Vin RLX: Re....

"Doug, shave those arms, man. You'll ski faster and won't get yanked into the water during your on-side cut."

You kill me. My wife heard me laughing at my PC and had to come over and see what was so funny.

I keep it long during May/June. The mosquitos and black flies have a harder time finding their way through the forest. Arms, head, chest, back, ears, nose.... you name it. Good defense.

Come summer, different story. Looking forward to trying the 5 blade shaver announced at the Olympics.

Edited by doughickey

I started, then thought better of it, an entire thread about you doing some scientific tests for us. Pre/Post arm shave measurements of speed on slalom, smoothness of tumble turns barefoot, and, oh, nevermind, who gives a $hit about wakeboard anyway?

Just when I thought I had this sport figured out someone throws me a curve. HELMETS?!?! You guys are serious about this? It never occurred to me for a second that I might someday wear a helmet behind the boat. To tell you the truth I think it would be a huge distraction. Now if you could find a way to protect my ribs when I pile drive the second wake I'd be interested in that Biggrin.gif

Dead serious. Like everything else..... you get used to it. Heck, you wear one in the cockpit don't you.

Think of it like a marine condom, uncomfortable at first, but keeps you safe, you still get to enjoy the sport, and after a while..... you forget you're wearing it.

Is "condom" ok to say on TMC ??? If not... sorry.

Ranting.gif I am NOT!!

Yeah, you are.

Doug, shave those arms, man. You'll ski faster and won't get yanked into the water during your on-side cut.

ROFL.gif D*mn-it Jack, now I've got to clean the beer off my monitor and keyboard!

BTW - I thought exactly the same thing when I saw Doug's pic. Innocent.gif

A helmet in the jet and a helmet behind the boat is hardly apples to apples.

Uh, yeah. A helmet during a waterski crash actually has the potential to mitigate some damage. During a jet crash, however, WTF difference does it make? Crazy.gif

Uh, yeah. A helmet during a waterski crash actually has the potential to mitigate some damage. During a jet crash, however, WTF difference does it make? Crazy.gif

To expand Jack's philosophical and implied statistical analogy:

How many times will a jet fighter pilot crash per year? How many times will he/she crash while skiing?

Total impact of any possible disaster is frequency potential TIMES the damage per disaster.

A/ Plane crash is low frequencey X high damage. The frequency part is very low..... but the second part "damage per disaster" (per Jack) is so high..... you're simply... dead... so a helmet doesn't help much.

B/ Ski Fall: High frequency with moderate damage (compared to dieing) = fairly high possibility for damage. This to me = "wear a helmet".

It is this EXACT logic I used when I convinced my wife I would no longer put up Christmas lights.

I explained it this way. I have at least 20 more years of living in a two story house. Installing lights means at least 5 trips up and down the 30 foot ladder in the fall, and again in the spring.... hanging out over the gutters attaching Christmas lights with one hand in the freezing cold, with gloves on. So, doing the math...... that's 10 trips per year X 20 years = 200 times up and down.

What are the chances I WON'T fall off the ladder at least once? In 200 freezing trips? It's just gonna happen. No way it won't. So I quit the Griswold thing. No decorations above 6 feet! Result..... I'm still walking. No broken bones.

So, here's the ski equivalent. Last year I did the MOST skiing ever, in 10 weeks. (Short season in Canada.) I had 115 runs (yes, I keep track). Each runs lasts until I run out of juice. Sometimes course skiing (3-4 passes), or just open water skiing with the equivalent number of "phantom" passes. That's the equivalent of about 400 slalom runs. Assuming I have at least another 10 years of aggressive skiing left in me.... that's 4000 passes. Same logic. What are the chances I WON'T have a serious enough fall where a helmet would save my pumpkin or those tender little pieces of skin tissue inside those open holes on both sides of my head. Doing the math says it's just gonna happen..... at least once.

So.... on goes the helmet.

But that's just me.

Edited by doughickey

Hmmmm.....why did I where a helmet?, let's seeee.....well, it kept the life support guys from driving screws into my cranium to hang the mask, mic and speakers. It kept my bald spot from getting sunburned. It was supposed to keep my hair from getting messed up during the ejection sequence. It should keep me from getting any goo in my eyes from that low altitude canopy-breaching birdstrike, and........in the unfortunate event I hit something real hard at say...600mph, they can just follow the bowling ball marks on the ground, pick up the helmet, pull the head out and see who it was Biggrin.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

I'm sure you all are very serious but, I think this is hillarious! I have never considered it but my not carry that thought through to my son while he skis. I have taken a friend to the hospital for stiches in his head from a fall where his HO bonked him, could never happen with a CW :blush: . I have also slapped the water vary hard while WB'ing but I don't know if a helmet would have protected me in that fall as the thing that hurt was my neck.

Doug, weren't you saying ahile ago that you were having a hard time getting off the ball with any speed? Maybe shaving those arms would help, either that or get a jump suit to wear while skiing.

"Marine condom"- that's good stuff there, I don't care who ya are, that's funny.

I've been thinking about helmuts more for my wakeboarding son who is starting to get some pretty good air and try tricks. He is doing it all on his own as none of us wakeboard at his level, (although tips from TMC got him to land his 360 last year).

For skiing, a helmut can't hurt, epsecially for protecting the ears. I was pulling my nephew 10 years ago and he got hit in the face with the tip of his ski. Broken nose, cheekbone, crushed eye socket, stitches. He would have needed a full motor cycle helmut to save him. A regular helmut wouldn't have helped.

It should keep me from getting any goo in my eyes from that low altitude canopy-breaching birdstrike, and........in the unfortunate event I hit something real hard at say...600mph, they can just follow the bowling ball marks on the ground, pick up the helmet, pull the head out and see who it was Biggrin.gif

Good stuff. That made me laugh, thanks. :lol:

I'm sure you all are very serious but, I think this is hillarious! I have never considered it but my not carry that thought through to my son while he skis. I have taken a friend to the hospital for stiches in his head from a fall where his HO bonked him, could never happen with a CW :blush: . I have also slapped the water vary hard while WB'ing but I don't know if a helmet would have protected me in that fall as the thing that hurt was my neck.

Doug, weren't you saying ahile ago that you were having a hard time getting off the ball with any speed? Maybe shaving those arms would help, either that or get a jump suit to wear while skiing.

"Marine condom"- that's good stuff there, I don't care who ya are, that's funny.

The 1st week of July ritual becomes quite an event around my summer place. That's when the body shaving happens. For me, I feel like Kramer when he decided to get rid of both the boxers AND the jockies. I feel so light and free. I'm sure it helps my ball count (slalom balls) as well.

As for the birds.....I wait for a windy day. The "cutting" is done outside... on the deck. The birds all fight for the downy fluff for their nests as it floats in the wind and in little whirlpools under the picnic table.

My wife is glad..... because that's the end of the little "tumbleweeds" (ya, just like in the old westerns) that roll around the bathroom floor when someone has the hair drier on

All being said, the world becomes a happer place in July.

Edited by doughickey
The 1st week of July ritual becomes quite an event around my summer place. That's when the body shaving happens. For me, I feel like Kramer when he decided to get rid of both the boxers AND the jockies. I feel so light and free. I'm sure it helps my ball count (slalom balls) as well. All being said, the world becomes a happer place in July.

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

I have thought about wearing a helmet in the past but after reading this post I think that I'm going to purchase one for the up coming season (maybe then I wont be scared to try a 360)

Anyone that scoffs the helmet has not tried to learn a 360 at 23 mph with full MLS employed. But then again anyone who has done this without a helmet probably doesn't remember the attempt.

My helmet has given me back so many wonderful memories I can now keep and share. Thanks "Protect" for the great summers I'll remember now. Never will I have to ask what happened and rely on everyone saying "dude you crashed so F#$%ing hard yesterday". I'll just remember it on my own.