Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 SLxi vs pre-2005 Slxi (02) vs 2005 CC216

89SN2001

Wakegirl. Good comments. Let me explain further. I haven't been in an inboard that after a while, no matter how big it is or how much storage it has, did not feel cramped. That's the nature of the beast. So, I think, if you are going to feel cramped, why not have a boat that does something really good: in this case, slaloming. Not everyone feels the same way, that's why these manufacturers build these different models. Heck, if it were up to me and not my wife, I'd have a closed bow 196 with no radio or other gizmos. Just a heater so Skisix will ski with me.

I think all of the wake talk is relative. Coming out of an older Nautique, in my opinion any of the boats that you are currenty looking at will be a HUGE step up. Drive them and take the one that you like the best.

Joe

... But I will say, I don't know any Nautique owners that are SNOBs. They are all unbiased like me...

ROFL.gifROFL.gif Haaaaaa, Haaa, Ha, That's a good one...That's rich. ROFL.gifROFL.gif

Wakegirl. Good comments. Let me explain further. I haven't been in an inboard that after a while, no matter how big it is or how much storage it has, did not feel cramped. That's the nature of the beast. So, I think, if you are going to feel cramped, why not have a boat that does something really good: in this case, slaloming. Not everyone feels the same way, that's why these manufacturers build these different models. Heck, if it were up to me and not my wife, I'd have a closed bow 196 with no radio or other gizmos. Just a heater so Skisix will ski with me.

The radio is step two SGY, we just got to step one and when the lake thaws we will be working on the "lake entertainment system". Think of the membership dues that you paid as the entry fee to spending a lot more money: new ski, ropes, stereo, it just goes on and on....

While you haven't od'd on the special CC kool aide, a large percentage of the folks frequenting PN should be starting their 12 step program and the first being to accept the bias.

I have to agree with Slider, going to anything modern from a 89 SN will be a huge leap forward.

We took the 05 Slxi out last Tues for a test drive. We drove through a course and I was concerned with the width of the wakes--in other words will I have to pull much longer to get through the wakes not leaving much time for deceleration?? I by no means spend a lot of time in the course and it is long line or 15 off when I do, but I need all the help I can get.

I also felt very closed in with such high side walls. It was uncomfortable for me to have my arms up on the sides and back when I was sitting in the back seat. I am very anxious to drive the 02 Slxi hopefully this weekend, if it is not completely freezing!

JohnDoe, I'm surprised you had a negative experience with the GT-40. That motor usually gets positive press.

In the interests of not starting a boat war (I'm outnumbered here) I'll bite my lip on your comments relating to vinyl, thicker seats, etc. That won't help the OP make a decision. But I will say, I don't know any Nautique owners that are SNOBs. They are all unbiased like me. Tongue.gif

SGY, the snob thing was a joke about being an owner of a SNOB (ski or sport nautique open bow). I know it doesn't apply directly at hand, but it was just a play on the acronym...and a joke. As for the seats and vinyl, I think those should be a big part of her decision, I think she has already alluded to the importance of comfort.

Glad to hear no boat wars, however, I think you would outnumber me actually...I'm hearing some supporters of the 216. Besides you'd win the popularity contest on here anyway because I'm sure, going back far enough, I've ticked about everyone off!

As for the GT40's positive press...let's face it, PCM will always get high marks (and they deserve it), but that motor coupled with the 216 hull, just did not impress me. Could be the fact that that boat topped out at 42. The easiest thing to blame that on is the motor...it gave me a sour taste about the motor that perhaps I just never got over. I hear its very solid though.

About the huge step up in wakes from our 89SN--That is what I keep telling my husband--They are all going to be better for skiing--It's those huge wakes that make all the wakeboarders want our 89SN2001

I really appreciate all the help

JD, I know you were kidding with the SNOB thing. I saw it as an opportunity for additional humor.

Part of the GT-40 thing, I think many Nautique owners are traditionalists. Nautique's mantra should be "Don't mess with tradition". The GT-40 is part of that tradition so many folks look back fondly on it. The Excalibur is dang nice. Smooth and quiet. It also doesn't jerk your arms out on the hole shot. I like it better than my GT-40 that I had in my 99 SNOB. (There's that word again.)

Skisix, you need to post over at PN more often. Show them the light. Regarding dock entertainment, most won't need a radio or stereo when I'm skiing. That'll be entertainment in its own right.

89SN, I had an 88 SN, 2001. That was a great wakeboard boat. It also taught you to bend your knees on a slalom ski. To borrow a phrase from Skisix, that thing had a "mountain range with its own weather system". Hard to believe they used to ski in tournaments behind that thing.

Let us know what you decide.

Edited by SGY

89SN, The taller gunnels on the Malibus are very different from the Nautiques. My brother has a 96 SN and the thing I like the most about it is the on the water feel. ie. it feels more open with the lower sides. Here in central OR the taller sides on the Bu's work great for the days that are blown out or very busy with traffic. We bought a Wakesetter DD in 04 instead of the Response LXi mostly because of the crossover abilities of the WS and also because the LXi takes water over the bow quite easy IMO. The ski wakes that I have enjoyed the most out of all the boats that I have tried were the Responce LX,LXI, Sporty, and a 99 SN.

At my very, very modest course skill level I could find no fault with any of them.

Joe

Oh..I didn't mention heavier vinyl in the bu, thicker seating (5" vs 3"), the advantages of using a key, though-bolted engine mounts, and not being a "SNOB" :lol:

I'll also bite my lip here... FIBECs is..... agh.... biting lip......

Oh..I didn't mention heavier vinyl in the bu, thicker seating (5" vs 3"), the advantages of using a key, though-bolted engine mounts, and not being a "SNOB" :lol:

M3, Sometimes taking the high road can hurt so, so bad. ROFL.gif Just imagine if the Bu's didn't have all the sound dampening technology. (Wow! the DDs would be loud)

Joe

hahahaha!

And for the rest of the winter....FIBECS vs. tsc, fct, smart pod, single-outlet exhaust, teflon, pylon...load up!

hahahaha!

And for the rest of the winter....FIBECS vs. tsc, fct, smart pod, single-outlet exhaust, teflon, pylon...load up!

You forgot the most notable HDS Surprised.gif

hahahaha!

You forgot the most notable HDS Surprised.gif

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Edwin--

Just going over some of the research again

I had forgotten that there was talk from SGY and another on the 2000 CC sport and the hull differences.

Edited by 89SN2001
Hi Edwin--

Just going over some of the research again

I had forgotten that there was talk from SGY and another on the 2000 CC sport and the hull differences.

I haven't read back through the threads, but I'd imagine that SGY's opinion is as good as it gets. He's owned a couple CC's over the years, knows them quite well.