Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surgery on the Skier

What is the measurement for how much the stringer steps down where the motor sits? It ranges from 5/8" - 1 1/4" on my rotten stringer. Don't know if it was that inconsistantly cut from the factory or the weight of the engine deformed it because of all the rot.

Progress.... Everything is going very smoothly. Fitment has been really good and I managed to get all the stringers level across with each other within an 1/8" the entire length of the boat.

P1000853.jpg

P1000854.jpg

P1000855.jpg

P1000857.jpg

P1000859.jpg

P1000860.jpg

P1000861.jpg

P1000863.jpg

P1000864.jpg

P1000865.jpg

P1000868.jpg

P1000869.jpg

P1000870.jpg

P1000871.jpg

P1000873.jpg

Edited by CBDuner

Hey there ya go! Glass in some underfloor storage space to pack in ammo cans. Plus I'll have ammo when the Zombies learn to swim.

Well taking a break from glassing. Wow, going through a lot more resin than I expected! Don't know how the guys who you West Systems can afford it! Wishing I would of taken more time to wipe off the excess from my fillets, creates little bubbles everywhere the resin hardened up on the stringer. Next mistake I made is not rounding the tops of the outside stringers. The glass can't bend at a 90 degree angle, so getting bubbles around the top. Just brain farted on that one. Plus there's one section where I mixed too much catalyst and it turned to gel quickly and I dumped it on and tried to spread it quick...don't do that. Haha!

But overall going smooth, just isn't coming out near as pretty as Lee52's glass work. But still a lot better than factory Malibu, that's for sure!

P1000874.jpg

P1000875.jpg

P1000876.jpg

P1000878.jpg

P1000879.jpg

P1000880.jpg

P1000881.jpg

P1000882.jpg

Now back out to finish. Another note, anyone planning on doing this, go to Harbor Freight and buy the 36 pack of brushes, I got the smaller 18 pack and have bought 16 more since. Oops!

Oh and I snapped a shot of the new tires and wheels I got for free for the trailer. Tires are like new, and the wheels beat the rusty chrome spokes I had before. Just traded them out on the camp trailer that's rotting away at the inlaws. :)

P1000883.jpg

Edited by CBDuner

So just finishing up all the glass work today. Fabbed up some floor supports for around the engine. Got one side attached, waiting for the glass on the other side to fully cure so I can attach the floor support there.

P1000884.jpg

P1000885.jpg

i really envy your great carpentry skills.

my carpentry projects look like a gaggle of beavers did the finish work.

i think that you should consider a lexan floor so your artistry can be on display.

very impressive. keep the pix coming.

• Like 2

Thanks. Now for a little metal work. Didnt like the big hole in the floor for the adjustable driver seat height, so I cut it off and welded a new tube to the seat base.

cc75fd67.jpg

264a0338.jpg

de7d474c.jpg

a97178fc.jpg

Looks great. Very nice work you're doing there.

Two things that come to mind when I look at your pics...

- Before you drop the motor in again you might consider doing all new control cables. They will be much easier to get in when all you have is flooring to contend with.

- I like that you are modifying the seat base. I can't believe how Malibu mangled the flooring with those old seat base setups (not to mention how heavy all the iron is). You can also buy a new (more modern) pedestal setup. Just something to consider. Here's some food for thought: http://www.cabelas.com/pedestals-bases.shtml

Keep the pics coming, it's great seeing the progress!

Excellent thread. Man of many skills - nice weld bead with the mig. Nice compliment to the carpentry work. Couple questions, looks like you didn't put in bow to stern drains (under drivers seat and at "firewalls" for lack of better term. My '86 skier front foam was excessively waterlogged. Guessing it weighed in at ~300#'s. Also no drain on the stern end of the secondary stringer? I know factory didn't do it, but thought was that was just laziness of Malibu? Regardless, excellent work so far.

Edited by joeroberts37

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I'm really having fun with the project, never done anything with fiberglass before or anything with boats for that matter! Just really wish I started much sooner so I didn't have to rush through this process and put in soooo many hours.

Joeroberts, I've read people going two ways when re-doing all this, seal it all off so water can't get in there, or try and channel water to come out. The foam was SOOO water logged, that I no faith that water would ever make it out of the drains once it entered these sections under the floor. So I'm going the route of completely sealing it off. I'm fiberglassing down the sides of the boat to the floor, from the floor to the bilge, so the water won't have anyplace to go but the bilge. All the wood under the floor is fiberglassed and coated with bilge paint (Haven't got those pics up yet). HOPEFULLY no water will ever get in there, but if it does the foam will suck it up, but unlike from the factory it'll never get to the wood.

I also considered no foam, and then creating channels for water to escape, but like the foam for sound deadening and floor support.

I am by NO means an expert, I could be totally wrong. I'm just doing what makes the most sense to me and others have done it and seems to have worked for them. All I know is this boat lasted 26 years built the way it was, should last much much longer after I'm done. :biggrin:

So I'm starting to think about carpet. Has anyone used the indoor/outdoor stuff from Lowe's? It's definitely cheap, but I really don't want to have to replace it after 3-5 years. Tearing up carpet ain't bad, it's scraping the glue that sucks! Have another vendor where I can get good rubber backed marine carpet for about 2.5 times as much. But should last a lot longer. Also thought about no carpet, but thought carpet would be much nicer to the touch for the kids, especially if they go down.

Any other options?

So I'm starting to think about carpet. Has anyone used the indoor/outdoor stuff from Lowe's? It's definitely cheap, but I really don't want to have to replace it after 3-5 years. Tearing up carpet ain't bad, it's scraping the glue that sucks! Have another vendor where I can get good rubber backed marine carpet for about 2.5 times as much. But should last a lot longer. Also thought about no carpet, but thought carpet would be much nicer to the touch for the kids, especially if they go down.

Any other options?

Don't do it! When I was restoring my '87, I got my carpet from Overton's. I don't remember the brand or price, but they had three choices of weights; I got the mid-weight which coincidentally was called "Malibu". You're doing everything else top notch; please don't finish it with crappy carpet..... :)

Ok, the wife agrees. I just started with a tight budget and you know how projects go. Never plan for the nickel and dime stuff. I still can't get over how much resin I went through! Gets expensive, haha.

I used the Overton's 20oz blue/black carpet on my Sunsetter and I pre-ordered it before talking to Chee. When Chee saw what I had ordered he told me that higher quality carpet was available. It was too late to change anything so I just used what I had ordered. Point being...it might be worthwhile to email Chee for an opinion/price/source on high quality carpet.

Alright, talk to Chee. Maybe I'll get a estimate on seat covers as well.... Probably next winter project though.

Just finished coating and added some pieces in the back between the outside stringer and outer hull to keep water from coming back on the outside edge, flowing down to the hull and running forward alongside the outside of the boat. Everything should be completely sealed off now. Also mounted my inner plates for the pylon. No lag bolts, bolting through to a plate with nuts welded on. Don't trust the lag bolts with a Ten Foot Pole on the pylon dragging my fat a** on a wake board! :lol:

P1000887.jpg

P1000888.jpg

P1000889.jpg

No lag bolts, bolting through to a plate with nuts welded on. Don't trust the lag bolts with a Ten Foot Pole on the pylon dragging my fat a** on a wake board! :lol:

good catch. there is no justification for using lag bolts ANYWHERE in a marine application, including the trailer.

Well crap... The 2 gallon kit of pourable foam only got me a little over halfway. Anybody else use the pour foam, how much did your Malibu take?

If memory serves...with the two-part AeroMarine 2# foam I replaced all the foam and I only needed one gallon of each part, two gallons total. Second from the top on this page. http://www.aeromarin...m/boat-foam.htm

If you poured the foam before the flooring went in then you didn't get the advantage of having the floor push the foam along, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Scott N