Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your opinions on a "new to me" boat...

eff1fitty

My first post here on Malibu Crew. Been a long time fan, but just now getting into the wakeboard game and deciding to post. I am looking to purchase my first Malibu and wanted to get some opinions from you professionals. The boat I am looking at is a 2010 23 LSV that is listed up in MA. The boat has 500 hours and the dealer says it is a 9.5 out of 10, of course. I am posting a link to the boat in hopes you guys can tell me why the price is so far off NADA value. Is there something I am missing? Is this too good to be true? Hoping you guys can prevent me from making a serious mistake. Thank you for your 2 cents.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2010-Malibu-23-Lsv-Wakesetter-100466180

eff1fitty

Looks a bit rough IMHO, but if you clean it up nicely, it would be a great boat. Must have been owned by a camp, or someone that used it hard and a lot.

I will sell you a boat ten years older with half the hours, in better condition for less than half the price.

Not really trying to sell my boat, just trying to make a point and I think you can do much better... Ever heard the phrase "ridden hard and put away wet"?

If it was me I would pass. Looks like its been used hard and put away wet. I'm not sure what your budget is but there are certainly great options for that kind of money.

Thanks for all of your quick responses. I believe you guys answered my question. I have searched high and low for the best choice of boat for the money, but I am either too late or it's over my budget. If you guys have any buddies looking to sell, please let me know. I would like to be on the water before the end of May. Cash in hand!

Thanks for all of your quick responses. I believe you guys answered my question. I have searched high and low for the best choice of boat for the money, but I am either too late or it's over my budget. If you guys have any buddies looking to sell, please let me know. I would like to be on the water before the end of May. Cash in hand!

What is the budget?

NADA values essentially useless IMO. low 50s for a 2010 with 8.1 (it appears), doesn't seem as bad a deal to me as to some here. 500 hours is nothing mechanically so long as serviced. Bigger issue will be how do those hours translate to interior wear. All exterior issues can be dealt with easily. Interior refurb can get pricey. Ask dealer if gaskets inbetween risers and manifold ever changed. Might be telling as to amount of service done.

It looks to me like it sat in Salt water. The wedge looks corroded and the pics are not very good.. The pics sure don't look like a 9.5... I would pass on this one for sure. I am sure you can find an 08 or 09 in that price range with way fewer hard hours.

Great Dealer! I know several guys that have purchased boats from them. I almost did... but ended up with a private sale. The time I was working with them I personally could tell they are a great group.

good luck!

500 hours meant the boat was left in the water, which is why I'm guessing the bottom end looks like it needs a cleaning.

Carpets were snap out and I'd guess the owner never used them so they wouldn't get all funky. You guys ever tried to keep those gelcoat floors looking perfect? It's not easy for sure.

I'd get some better pictures for sure, just because the boat isn't clean doesn't mean it was abused. Obviously the previous owner spent more time using the boat than polishing the wedge, so what.

Now you want to see ridden hard and put away wet check this thing out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malibu-boat-ski-wakeboard-/130691080457?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item1e6dcba109#ht_500wt_1182

I saw that one a while ago and it was used at a ski school. I thought about it, but it was too far away. I don't think the hours is a problem. Look at your car or truck. How many hours do they have? Do you think they will fail you soon or not. Just food for thought. If the other issue is cleaning, well that's a no-brainer. Seems like a pretty good deal. Looks like the ski school decided to lower the price instead of adding elbow grease. I could be wrong.

Ok, I spoke with Don today at Flightcraft and he is standing behind his word on the condition of the boat. He stated that the pic posted on trader were just after the boat was traded in. He stated that there is no fading or damage to the hull other than what has been stated. He is going to send me the service records for the boat and the ecm scan. I did see some, what looked to me, cavitation markings on the flat side of the prop blades. He did send me pics of it and the blemish on the passenger side rear and said he would be able to buff out. No tears on the interior and all systems work correctly. I noticed MA posted about how great of a dealer they are, so should I make an offer if all the service work is inline? What would you guys first offer be? Not able to fly up to put my hands on it, but I may have a cousin a few hours away that I may be able ask to go look at it for me. Unfortunately, he is not a boat kinda guy and don't know if it would help.

eff1fitty

You may want to send TXCorba a PM and talk about the NEW VLX he just bought down here in TX. It may be worth your time to make a trip...

...that almost seems criminal to me...how can you disregard something so badly!!

500 hours meant the boat was left in the water, which is why I'm guessing the bottom end looks like it needs a cleaning.

Carpets were snap out and I'd guess the owner never used them so they wouldn't get all funky. You guys ever tried to keep those gelcoat floors looking perfect? It's not easy for sure.

I'd get some better pictures for sure, just because the boat isn't clean doesn't mean it was abused. Obviously the previous owner spent more time using the boat than polishing the wedge, so what.

Now you want to see ridden hard and put away wet check this thing out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malibu-boat-ski-wakeboard-/130691080457?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item1e6dcba109#ht_500wt_1182

Edited by MtnRider

I have dealt with east coast flightcraft a couple of times, and have co-workers who have also bought from them and I would say they seem to be a reputable company.

Dan seems to be a good guy. Very responsive, but he really doesn't want to take better pics of the boat for some reason. I am still nibbling on the hook. I just love these malibus. Looked at all of the other brands, but the bu's stay in the lead. You guys keep a look out for me a good deal.

It looks to me like it sat in Salt water. The wedge looks corroded and the pics are not very good.. The pics sure don't look like a 9.5... I would pass on this one for sure. I am sure you can find an 08 or 09 in that price range with way fewer hard hours.

:plus1: ..looks like a saltwater boat... based on underside and the flushpro... not worth it.

How does the underside suggest saltwater? Does underside suggest may need a good cleaning, sure, but lakes often result in far worse hull discoloration than salt. Leave a center console in a lake for 6 months and another in the ocean and see which one comes out cleaner. Likewise, flush pro doesn't suggest salt per se, my dealer orders every boat with flush pro. Far more reliable trailer running and convenience. Don't write it off yet.