Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

anyone running a pair of 8's

scott_fx

Nice, I was just measuring to fit those in the truck.

This guy is on another forum I'm on:

http://sundownonly.c...rce/drupal/main

Two of those ported down around 35 would be pretty good. Double check your amp though, they're 200w each rms.

I figured since they're available in dual 2 or 4 ohm he could make it work no matter what amp he's got. If it's a high power amp he could wire it 8 ohm and have that amp on cruise control.

I figured since they're available in dual 2 or 4 ohm he could make it work no matter what amp he's got. If it's a high power amp he could wire it 8 ohm and have that amp on cruise control.

True, I just figured if it was on three 12s before it might be XL, I don't know much about Kicker amps these days so I don't know what the possibilities are. Those subs probably handle far more than 200 anyway, there's a video of their 600 watt sub running on a 4500w amp doing 153db burps.

True, I just figured if it was on three 12s before it might be XL, I don't know much about Kicker amps these days so I don't know what the possibilities are. Those subs probably handle far more than 200 anyway, there's a video of their 600 watt sub running on a 4500w amp doing 153db burps.

Hopefully it's not the "warhorse"...

For a typical high roll 12-inch woofer to downfire without a reduction in surface area you would need to elevate the peak of the surround 3.125" off the sole. Add the surround/exterior rim of the woofer, 1.5" total stock for .75" construction thickness and you have less than 4-inches of internal enclosure depth.

Subs do not sound good in extremely elongated or extremely shallow enclosures. So with a maximum of 9.5" height you are going to be forced into one form of compromise or another whether a slim line woofer, a poor enclosure or restricted loading. Any advantage gained by a larger 12-inch sub will be greatly diminished.

I do like two 8s vertically mounted (facing horizontally as normal) and loading down at the floor for more acoustic leverage than the higher location. Vent the seat console out the side and away from the dog. Two 8s have more surface area than a 10 and less than a 12. But the 8s wouldn't be compromised and the 12 would in this particular application. On balance considering the output and the sound quality I feel the 8s are still in the game as long as we are talking under the bench seat.

David

Love the post Dave. Most people really screw up downfiring enclosures and forget the required clearances.

There is another option, you can do some of both. An angled baffle would allow the use of a 12" driver and not yield a shallow enclosure. I'd still angle it down so that it is pretty invisible from the front and it'd be a pretty neat way of stealthing up the install. (ie the bottom closer to the hull wall and the top of the angle by the front of the seat). It adds some complexity in the box build, but is easier than the other proposed locations, would allow the Sd of a 12, could still be ported, and $300 towards a single driver IMO is better than applying it towards two in this case.

Love the post Dave. Most people really screw up downfiring enclosures and forget the required clearances.

There is another option, you can do some of both. An angled baffle would allow the use of a 12" driver and not yield a shallow enclosure. I'd still angle it down so that it is pretty invisible from the front and it'd be a pretty neat way of stealthing up the install. (ie the bottom closer to the hull wall and the top of the angle by the front of the seat). It adds some complexity in the box build, but is easier than the other proposed locations, would allow the Sd of a 12, could still be ported, and $300 towards a single driver IMO is better than applying it towards two in this case.

thanks for that idea.

I think I've made my decision and I'm going to try my hand at the side cubbyhole enclosure made out of mdf. If i like the way it comes out. i'll order up those soundsolutions subs. if I dont like the way it comes out, then i'll opt for. the seat mount. possibly reusing the existing 12" sub angle mounted if i can get the required volume. if not, a pair of 8" woofers