Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat, want to replace all potential wear items 2004 23' LSV

Wait a second, vaporlock? When the boat acts like it runs out of gas, it that during your 10 minute near WOT run? Or after and you shut it down and try to restart a few minutes later? Vapor lock is usually caused when the boat is shut down and the excessive heat from the engine turns the fuel in the fuel pump and nearby fuel lines into vapor, thus a chugging stalling effect and the fuel pump loses prime. Never heard of it in the middle of a run. Maybe I missed something....

After it sputters and shuts off like it ran out of gas it won't start. So yes, it runs like hell at the end of WOT and it wouldn't end if the boat didn't "run out of gas"

After it sputters and shuts off like it ran out of gas it won't start. So yes, it runs like hell at the end of WOT and it wouldn't end if the boat didn't "run out of gas"

I get vapor lock if I shut down for awhile and have a swim break. It is as NDawg12 says caused byt the heat soaking of the motor and fuel lines, the easy fix is to let the heat out. I prop my motor box open (DD) with a bumper. Your problems sounds more like a fuel delevery, there is a screen on the intake of the fuel pump that you should check while you are cleaning and checking things.

Good luck and keep us posted

• 1 month later...

To do list so far:

Clean raw water intake mesh screen

Inspect/change cap/rotor

Can of star-tron

New fuel filter

Replace anodes

Check timing

Okay, did the fuel filter, check the anodes, cap/rotor and all looked good. Cleaned the intake screen and my problems have seemingly gone away. I don't get it though. How can the water intake screen cause the boat to hiccup and shut off and then restart? It so much feels like a fuel problem or spark issue but this seemingly has taken care of it. Can anyone explain why?

Oh and a big Thank you!

*hopes I am not jumping the gun but managed to get it to sputter and shut off before the screen and have tried to get it to a bunch since and cannot.*