Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Globe impellers

Fman

Alright some of you guys are misleading here.... :Tease3:

If your lucky you can change it in less than 15 minutes.....however there is a chance that the sucker is seized on the shaft. Then it can be difficult to remove unless you have a puller.

Globe ordered today from Bakes, $46 + shipping.... I talked to Paul at Bakes, he said if you are putting more than 100 hours a season the globe will be worth it. He mentioned 50-100 hours a season and the Johnsons are adequate. I just want the extra insurance and peace of mind, plus I run it on a fake lake every now and then, will just use my Johnson as a spare.

Thanks for the all the feedback...

Alright some of you guys are misleading here.... :Tease3:

If your lucky you can change it in less than 15 minutes.....however there is a chance that the sucker is seized on the shaft. Then it can be difficult to remove unless you have a puller.

Only time that was really a problem was when I was pulling from the side. The last time I did it from the rear & it pulled right out in seconds. Maybe it wasn't seized? It was an old Globe that had around 180 hrs on it.

15 minutes on a DD? Is that including taking the cover off the boat, drinking a beer, putting the cover back on, testing it with the fake a lake, etc? Pull the motor cover, remove 4 bolts, pop off the cover, spray a dab of WD40 in there, bump the motor over once, pull out with a pair of needle nose, then install is reverse of removal. Not hard at all once you know how to do it. With a V-drive you have to do it partly blind but it isn't all that hard.

I agree, took me 18 minutes on my last install. Took me almost an hour the first time I ever tried it on my vdrive, just because its difficult to see.

Also a big fan of using the WD-40, soak it for a few minutes and it comes right off. and be careful tightening the 4 brass bolts, they dont need to be super tight, they will strip out easily.

This may be a silly question.... but with the impeller puller...do you tighten the puller down on the impeller and then pull the thing (impeller and all) out... or do you turn the crank and let the screw action slowly work it out? Also... the hooks on the puller arms... do they go behind the impeller when it's in the housing... or do you just close them till they grip the rubber. I couldn't end up getting the arms in behind the impeller and didn't want to damage the housing/pump. Thanks.

.5 beer job on a hot, sunny, CA day.

This is how the puller grabs the impeller.

Image064.jpg

edit.

The suds you see is not motion lotion. It's baby shampoo which, I use as binding lube.

The hooks don't go behind the rubber but, they don't harm the rubber when clamping down on the "core" of the impeller.

Edited by Pistol Pete

.5 beer job on a hot, sunny, CA day.

This is how the puller grabs the impeller.

Image064.jpg

edit.

The suds you see is not motion lotion. It's baby shampoo which, I use as binding lube.

The hooks don't go behind the rubber but, they don't harm the rubber when clamping down on the "core" of the impeller.

Thanks Pete!