Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Deposit on 99 Sunsetter LXI

tkowalski

Normal on the steering...the rudder is "loaded" so there is not slop in the steering. The SLXi was an approved 3 event boat and set up for precicse driving in the slalom course.

I run 89 or 91 in mine. The book says 89 min, but I have run 87 w/0 problems. The big thing on fuel is NO ETHONOL!!! Having said that, I still run sta-bil marine formula in the boat all summer just in case.

What prop are you running? If it is the OEM stainless....get rid of it!!! They are know to shed blades. I went to an OJ XMP 13x11.5....lost about 1.5 mph top end, but gained a lot of low end torque, runs smoother, and made the rooster tail at 15 and 22 off dissapear...overal ski wake got smaller as well. Probably the best purchase I made for the bu.

Ok. Bought the boat and I LOVE it. Runs awesome, smooth, quiet, couldn't be happier! 2 questions: gas grade for best performance, my neighbor also swears by Lucas additive for more hp/fuel efficiency. I know they talk about a slight right turn sensation because of the prop rotation. If I let go of wheel at higher speeds, the boat would immediately go into a power turn. These seems too excessive. Yes/no? Again I am in love with this boat!!!!!

I've always run 87 in my LXI and I've never had a problem.

Ok. Bought the boat and I LOVE it. Runs awesome, smooth, quiet, couldn't be happier! 2 questions: gas grade for best performance, my neighbor also swears by Lucas additive for more hp/fuel efficiency. I know they talk about a slight right turn sensation because of the prop rotation. If I let go of wheel at higher speeds, the boat would immediately go into a power turn. These seems too excessive. Yes/no? Again I am in love with this boat!!!!!

That sounds more than excessive. I have the same boat and mine will barely move off course when letting go of the wheel.

I put in a new steering cable this spring. Old cable, the boat tracked, took some effort to turn the wheel, new cable you can drive it with a finger, but if you let go it will go into a turn. I think the newer boats have the upgraded rudder with the trim tab that can be adjusted to eliminate some of this.

I run non-oxygenated fuel exclusively in my toys and small engines. Lawn mowers, jet ski, 4 wheeler and boat. It takes a little bit of looking but if you find one close to home its not big of a deal. I'v had issues caused by ethanol with small motors and I have had friends have issues with their older boats. I may be over the top. But its piece of mind.

I also agree on the OJ XMP 13x11.5. Its a great prop for your boat and what your doing.

And the steering, as stated, the load is good. But if its too much it can be dangerous. You don't want to accidentally do a power turn at 32 MPH if you take your hand off the wheel for half a second because your kid is taking a header into the pylon. It's personal preference but if your in a course, you will want some. To adjust it on that boat your going to have to take a grinder to the rudder. Sounds like a big deal, but its not.

Edited by bretski75

The steering sounds normal to me. All inboards seem to do this. You'll get used to it so much it is second nature and completely natural.

My rule of thumb is never, ever take your hand off the wheel. (when underway of course).

Steve B.

You got a nice boat their and I think a good deal. I got a 2002 Sunsetter LXi last fall for $20,000. The boat is load out with almost every option you could get at that time. You will love the boat enjoy.

I always thought that the Lucas stuff was just "snake oil" in a bottle until a buddy of mine swore up and down by it....so I tried it in my wifes car. We went on a road trip and ran the car with it and without it on flat ground and it ran better and got better fuel milage on the trip with the Lucas additive. I have ran the Lucas from day in my boat since I bought it more because of the quality of gas that I buy(our place is in Mexico and I don't think the quality is as good even though they have higher octane ratings down there), so I don't know if you would notice a diif. in the way boat runs with or without the additive. I can say though that I was and still am impressed on how good the Monsoon motor runs and I have never had any fuel problems..........thinkin about it, I have never had one single problem at all with my SSLXI :)

Ballast Buddy. You are right. This ride is incredible. Yesterday my wife and our furry kids were out all day on the water. I did not want to go in. We live in E.Tn on the Tenn river. Plenty of room, wake is awesome for an old school skier and the way this boat rides and runs is amazing.

• Like 1