Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Type Of Vehicle Do You Tow The Boat With?

SmoothWaterMan

Tow Vehicle  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of tow vehicle do you use most when towing?

2. 2. What type of tow vehicle is it?

3. 3. Vehicle Specifics - Choose all that apply.

4. 4. Purchase and Use

• Bought it new, and it is a daily driver as well.
    • Bought it new, but it is not driven daily.
    • Bought it used, and it is a daily driver as well.
    • Bought it used, but it is not driven daily.
  5. 5. Would you buy this type again?

• Yes, it works great.
    • No, I'd buy a SUV next time.
    • No, I'd buy a Pickup next time.
    • I don't want anything. Next time I dry dock or let the marina handle it.

2002 Olds Bravada, just turned 100,000 miles. I only have to tow a mile to the lake from the parking spot, and about 8 miles to get to the parking in the beginning of season.

Daily driver.

Steve B.

07 escalade... 403 hp and most important.... 6 speed.... limiting factor is transmission temp.... just added a 11"x11" trans cooler.... also have a 08 Chev 3500 duramax... escalade is much better around the launch locally and the dmax is the mountain machine.

07 Denali (same engine/trans as the Escalade). the engine/trans combo is amazing especially considering the mountain passes that i pull over regularly. However, i agree that the trans temp is a problem. i have the factory trans cooler, but still will exceed 225 degrees in the summer.

other truck is a 10 Ram Crew Hemi. we usually take this truck because the Denali is a short wheelbase and with 3 kids, there is no room for gear. plus, we find that the truck is quieter, more comfortable and has more entertainment/technology. But, it does not pull the boat nearly as well as the Denali over the mountain passes

08 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X4, 80K, 5.7, 6 speed, oil cooler, tran cooler all factory. Best turning in its class. Gets 17-18mpg and 13mpg with boat. Fits 8 people no problem, don't even know the boat is back their. It is also a great truck for a long snowboard trip. :rockon: Best of all the wife loves it so no :rant:

2008 Escalade 2wd. Love the power (403 hp)- brakes did warp though - replacing them now. Trans temp does get up there! Used a 2004 Yukon (5.3L) AWD for 7 years (towed +/- 10K miles total). Worked great but the engine did work hard. Sold the Yukon with 190K mles (original tranny!). Also towed with 2006 Ford F250 crew cab diesel - no surprises that I didn't feel the boat behind me either towing or braking (overall best choice for long-distance towing)

2008 Chevy 3500HD, 4X4, 6.0 Diesel, Allison Trans, DRW, Crew Cab. This truck will pull ANYTHING. Eventually we want to get a toy hauler and put the boat behind that. I can't WAIT to tow doubles!! :-)

I've pulled my buddies 40' toy hauler, and while I knew it was back there, it pulled like a champ. My little Response LXi isn't even noticiable when it's being towed.

Anyone have any experience with the GM hybrids? I picked up a Tahoe hybrid over the summer. It seems to do ok so far but I haven't towed much at all with it. Boat is a 23 LSV dry its 3900 lbs the truck is rated at 6500 lbs. I think Im right on the limit. I don't tow a ton though one long trip a year plus plenty of launches. Anyone have experience with this combo?

2007 Mercedes ML63 AMG, does a GREAT job with the boat. Daily driver as well. My boat is moored locally, but I also have a Ranger bass boat and a snowmobile trailer I lug around. No problems with power or brakes :lol:

2000 1500 Silverado Z71 4x4. Did great for the 10-20 miles we towed with it this past summer. We are hoping to tow with it a little more this coming summer but Indiana is pretty flat so I don't foresee that as being an issue.

06 chevy diesel crew cab 4x4. pulls it like a champ. i notice the boat back there but it doesnt slow me down climbing any grades. truck is over kill for a boat but pulls the 5th wheel around just fine.

MUpde i believe that your trailer can only be 31' if you want to pull dbls. 35' and bigger is too long acording to DMV.

'11 GMC 2500 Ext. Cab 4x4 with the 6.0 gas. Tons of power but it drinks the fuel when I'm pulling grades. It has 6 speed auto but I can switch to manuel mode when coming off the hill. Love the 2500 series- bigger the better! :rockon:

Everyone with these high tranny temps...you do know an aftermarket cooler is about $60 and pretty easy to install.

I have the B&M cooler on my Avalanche I put on it when I first got it...141k+ on her now and the tranny is still fine (just did a 700 mile round trip with it this weekend). Good aftermarket tranny cooler is a must have; mine is the 24k GVW cooler. Had it over 6 years and the only thing I've done with it is recently replaced the hoses to it ($4) as they have started to dry out a bit and leak slightly. 10 minutes later all fixed.

Hey Pete,

Just upgraded the 04 Tacoma to a 06 Tundra DC TRD V8. so far its great - such a great ride. and its going to tow much better than the taco.

See ya on the water soon,

Nick

2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L 4x4 with the TRD Rock Warrior package. Daily driver, love the interior space and the utility of the truck bed. Can throw my quad in there and go have fun when not on the boat!

martinarcher

71' F250. Fully restored with a 390 big block and a manual 4 speed.

BTW...I can't believe their are only 4 of us towing with manuals and there are over 90 autos......that is some weak sauce!

IMG_3461.jpg