Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tell Me I'm Crazy/stupid Or Price This Boat...

Asmodeus2112

The boat seems to have a lot of electrical issues, kind of make me wonder if it's been submerged? As others have said I would find out first if it has a clear title, if not it's a no brainer... salvage title=No sale!

you really want to check out the electrical system carefully. If the boat was submerged....even partially, you may find yourself with "electrical gremlins" causing you problems for the entire life of the boat.

How did the dealer come to acquire the boat? If it was a trade in, might ask who the previous owner was and try to contact them. You might be able to gather more intel to make an informed decision.

you really want to check out the electrical system carefully. If the boat was submerged....even partially, you may find yourself with "electrical gremlins" causing you problems for the entire life of the boat.

How did the dealer come to acquire the boat? If it was a trade in, might ask who the previous owner was and try to contact them. You might be able to gather more intel to make an informed decision.

Good point. It's a consignment. If my spreadsheet shows promise I might ask to talk to the owner.

Hey guys, There is no such thing as a salvage title in texas on boats, campers, etc... Only vehicles. So, it may have been bought as salvage, but since there is no salvage title in Texas on boats, it doesn't have one. If you have a friend that can run the HIN thru the INDEX system, you can see if a claim was filed on it. Even on cars, salvage titles can be cleaned by transferring it to another state with no salvage titles, then back to Texas. My boat was in similar condition when I bought it. 3k on a new interior easy on that one. Looks fixable at the right price....has to be less than $15k.

Hey guys, There is no such thing as a salvage title in texas on boats, campers, etc... Only vehicles. So, it may have been bought as salvage, but since there is no salvage title in Texas on boats, it doesn't have one. If you have a friend that can run the HIN thru the INDEX system, you can see if a claim was filed on it. Even on cars, salvage titles can be cleaned by transferring it to another state with no salvage titles, then back to Texas. My boat was in similar condition when I bought it. 3k on a new interior easy on that one. Looks fixable at the right price....has to be less than $15k.

Thanks for the info. Do you think an insurance agent can run the HIN thru INDEX?

I think most can, costs about 5 bucks, but he has be member of the index bureau. However if the owner still has it, i'de call him and ask him about it also.

Looks like a lot of the electrical stuff doesn't work. This leads me to believe that water damage needs to be considered. I would make sure this boat was not in the floods of a few years back. Check electrical contacts for corrrosion.

Make sure the motor runs. I would replace wires, rotor etc.

Be careful with this one.

I hate to be negative, but if it was a steal of a deal, it would have been snapped up already. It would have to be WAY less asking price for me to thing about it.

Like other post's have said, do your homework, it may payoff in the long run.

Steve B.

Yep, that is it. Any idea how long it's been there? It just got soaked with the rains on Mon/Tue. No cover on the poor thing.

I have no idea how long the boat has been out in the open. I first noticed it a couple of months ago on a trip to Waco and most recently on a trip to Dallas last week. What caught my eye was that there was no cover on the boat and I could not believe that someone would leave the boat open to the elements. That alone would concern me. When I fist saw the boat, I thought someone had it in for service but it never moved since I first noticed it from the freeway. For those following this post, the boat is not at a Malibu dealer.

I'de look for a water line under the dash...it may have filled with rain during the storms....if it sank, the bottom should be damaged...On my 2000 wakesetter, it was left uncovered a long time and all of the original switches, bilge pump, and lights still function. The trailer appears correct for a v-drive. Check for water in the vdrive.

You really think so? You can get skins for the entire boat including installation for under $3K. I bought my boat knowing that the interior needed to be replaced, and made sure that the sale price reflected that.

To the OP, I would offer him 16K fully repaired and see if he bites. The boat needs work, but it's not a lost cause. And don't worry about lowballing a dealer. The worst they can say is no...

So $3k on a boat worth $20k at most all fixed up is not a big ticket item?

I had the chance to drive the hour 15 to see the boat this afternoon. I don't see any evidence that it was submerged. Rained in, and left out without a cover for months yes, submerged, no. I think the core of the boat is still ok. I have little faith it was maintained well, but the fluids seem ok and the engine etc. look reasonable. It pretty much looks like someone left this boat for a few years in a monkey's cage. It's just been messed with, but I think only superficially. Trailer is right for the boat, and I was stunned that there was fluid in the master. I still doubt the brakes work. Spare is an old truck tire... Upholstry was better than I expected. Windsheild was loose with many broken plastic parts. The worst is the complete hack job of installing a stereo, and this is where I believe all the electrical problems come from (See Pics Below). Also, they managed to bend the Titan I tower. Anyway, i'm going to spend a few hours with excel after the kids go to bed and see if any numbers work. While 12k is what springs to mind, I'm not sure the owner will go for that. But, if that's what the numbers say, that's the offer I'll make.

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2038%2044%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2038%2049%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2036%2059%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2049%2003%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2047%2035%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2047%2018%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2047%2022%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2045%2018%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2045%2031%20PM.jpg

And the stuff around the strut was just a dirty water mark. Rust trail out of the back plug was some rust, but some color from the leaves in the bilge... Prop turned pretty easily by hand.

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2043%2040%20PM.jpg

Edited by Asmodeus2112

And the stuff around the strut was just a dirty water mark. Rust trail out of the back plug was some rust, but some color from the leaves in the bilge... Prop turned pretty easily by hand.

Photo%20Mar%2023%2C%204%2043%2040%20PM.jpg

That's your boat. do it. yellow is good.

That boat looks like it's either been under water or stored outside covered with a ton of water sitting in it for a long time. Either way will be problems for you. That engine should not be rusted up and dirty like that with only 300+ hours, the wires should not have mildew on them. See how dirty that engine divider wall is, that's a really bad sign. Steering column rusted, not a good sign. Something has been rewired under the dash, possibly so it would start???

Boat has issues they may haunt you FOREVER. I take back what I said in my earlier post. Run away from this one.

Yeah, those are all sweet boats. This is a bit of a champagne taste and beer budget situation. What I can afford is a late 90's DD, but I want an early 00's V. (Yeah, I know, tough luck...) I was spoiled on my 2001 SSLX, it was 275 hours and in great shape. I also bought it for a steal. Reality is slowly setting in that I may not find another deal like that, but I'm stubborn, perseverant and patient... I really appreciate all the help for ya'll on this forum. It's hard to imagine buying/owning boats without this incredible resource. :thumbup:

Yeah, those are all sweet boats. This is a bit of a champagne taste and beer budget situation. What I can afford is a late 90's DD, but I want an early 00's V. (Yeah, I know, tough luck...) I was spoiled on my 2001 SSLX, it was 275 hours and in great shape. I also bought it for a steal. Reality is slowly setting in that I may not find another deal like that, but I'm stubborn, perseverant and patient... I really appreciate all the help for ya'll on this forum. It's hard to imagine buying/owning boats without this incredible resource. :thumbup:

Just remember that people/dealers can ask whatever they want for a boat. Doesn't mean they are going to get that. Don't be afraid to put in a somewhat fair low offer.

I put in an offer 25% below asking price, and they countered with $1000 higher. I was fine with that counter, and we moved forward with the sale. I was in search of the exact same thing that you're looking for now.

Just remember that people/dealers can ask whatever they want for a boat. Doesn't mean they are going to get that. Don't be afraid to put in a somewhat fair low offer.

I put in an offer 25% below asking price, and they countered with $1000 higher. I was fine with that counter, and we moved forward with the sale. I was in search of the exact same thing that you're looking for now.

I felt like that Indian in the old littering commercials standing there looking at this once beautiful boat that has been abused and is now sitting uncovered in the sun and rain...

I think this boat lake ready could be valued at 19k. Nice examples of well treated boats around at 20-24k.

I've done my math, and I would like to pay 12k, plus pay the dealer to do the core things to get the boat in the water for a test drive and the trailer on the road. Sale contingent on test drive showing motor and transmission are good. That will probably put me at 13,500 + tax (~14,150) driving down the road. That would leave me 4,850 to cover the rest, which I think is a bit generous, however there is risk and my time to consider.

Is it worth it? IDK. Buying a lake ready boat would run be between 21,250 and 25,500, so if all goes well this could save me a 2-3k. Am I smoking crack? :crazy: Well, the seller probably won't take 12k anyway, but I'll throw it out there.

You might want to check out something similar to this, may not be exactly what you want but looks like it would fit your price range and you would probably have a better feel of what you would be getting. Its one I've been watching for if my SSLXi sells, but this one will probably be gone before then I would think.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2912452007.html

After the dealer gets the one your looking at up to test drive ability, I would see if they would let you take it somewhere to get a 2nd opinion on what it would take to get that boat fully up to par if at all possible. I am one that doesn't like surprises too much!

You might want to check out something similar to this, may not be exactly what you want but looks like it would fit your price range and you would probably have a better feel of what you would be getting. Its one I've been watching for if my SSLXi sells, but this one will probably be gone before then I would think.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2912452007.html

After the dealer gets the one your looking at up to test drive ability, I would see if they would let you take it somewhere to get a 2nd opinion on what it would take to get that boat fully up to par if at all possible. I am one that doesn't like surprises too much!

If that's the purple one I believe he's already checked it out. I cant tell from the pics.

• Like 1