Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Sunsetter Lx

Dunski

Did you have any trouble with the glue for the carpet adhering to this?

3M Super 77 spray adhesive. No issues in 3-4 years. I was pretty generous with it but not overly so. The plastic board I bought was pretty rough so I didn't even need to sand it.

Did you make a selection on the carpet? I'm a little late on a comment, but I would go light grey. If it were a car, I'd say dark grey/charcoal to hide dirt. In the case of a boat, it is more a matter of hiding lint, food crumbs, dog hair, etc. so lighter would probably be better. Some of my adhesive was failing when I bought the boat and I re-glued with Liquid Nails Construction adhesive. It's the only thing I could think of that I've never been able to get off my clothes when doing construction stuff! But that was for isolated areas, not sure if that's a good solution for a complete re-carpet.

On the rear seat, I thought of doing that too. But now that we surf, I put the rear seat in sun deck mode and can fit a big ol' 750 sac below it. A passenger then sits on the sun deck and manages the rope for the surfer. So you would lose that funtionality if you eliminate the side supports. No biggie if you don't plan on surfing.

Got the skins on yet? That thing's gonna feel like a new boat.

This will be the first big weekend of work on it. The skins are here and ready. The last couple of weeks we have been just ordering parts for the job. Didn't want to cut into our season while waiting on parts. Starting tomorrow we will pull all the old carpet out to make templates. All old skins will be removed. My stainless staples had a little hiccup in shipping so they won't arrive until Monday. So this weekend will all be dismantling. I will finally have some pictures to put up.

And we decided to go with the color "flint"

Edited by Dunski

This will be the first big weekend of work on it. The skins are here and ready. The last couple of weeks we have been just ordering parts for the job. Didn't want to cut into our season while waiting on parts. Starting tomorrow we will pull all the old carpet out to make templates. All old skins will be removed. My stainless staples had a little hiccup in shipping so they won't arrive until Monday. So this weekend will all be dismantling. I will finally have some pictures to put up.

...you do know it's Mother's Day "weekend", right? No boat stuff for me...and my stereo is sooooo close to done.

Take some pictures of your carpet replacement, if you don't mind. Mine is starting to look a bit worn and I would like to see your results.

...you do know it's Mother's Day "weekend", right? No boat stuff for me...and my stereo is sooooo close to done.

Amy said ripping the boat part was the perfect gift. Do you think she was lying? Ahh just joking. No kido's here. A few phone calls is all we have on the schedule.

Amy said ripping the boat part was the perfect gift. Do you think she was lying? Ahh just joking. No kido's here. A few phone calls is all we have on the schedule.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this. It's going to make me want to dump more money into my boat.

LOL, haven't you been working on hooking an amp to four speakers for like two years? What's another weekend?

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this. It's going to make me want to dump more money into my boat.

I will have the dismantle pics for you by the end of the weekend.

LOL, haven't you been working on hooking an amp to four speakers for like two years? What's another weekend?

Ha! I knew that one wouldn't lie out there very long. And it's been 1 year, it just feels like 2. But that's why it's taken so long..."I'll get it next weekend, the old one still works. What's another weekend?"

I'm really curious on the carpet too, did you really scrub the heck out of the old stuff first? My boat was really neglected when I bought it a few years ago, and the carpet cleaned up really well.

Edit: Really.

Edited by Michigan boarder

The previous owner neglected this thing quite a bit. I figure the carpet and adhesive will run me around 300-400 Totally worth it to have nice new soft carpet under our toes.

Edited by Dunski

I will have the dismantle pics for you by the end of the weekend.

Have fun with the wall pieces in the bow! If they are attached like mine were, it is not a fun process. They are bolted on with bolts you can just barely reach with a wrench by contorting your body every which way. Be sure to wear a long sleeved shirt or the fiberglass will cut the hell out of your arms!

Have fun with the wall pieces in the bow! If they are attached like mine were, it is not a fun process. They are bolted on with bolts you can just barely reach with a wrench by contorting your body every which way. Be sure to wear a long sleeved shirt or the fiberglass will cut the hell out of your arms!

Ya I am not to excited about that part of the process. What did you use to clean off the excess glue after pulling the carpet?

Removing the furniture wasn't to bad. Just took a couple hours. It's the carpet that's a bear. Some removes easy some just holds on tight. I wasn't planning on removing the gas tank but after seeing the grime around the back I feel I should. Just to get a good cleaning. The previous owner changed out the fuel measuring unit. He did not install the new one correctly. Left a slow leak. Not sure how long it was like this. So dust must of grabbed onto the fuel and created the grime I was referring to. A mess!

bummer. pulled the rest of the carpet out today. Need a little more than planned. About 500 bucks for the carpet.

Quick question. Is there any mods for the driver seat in this boat. I wouldn't mind a swivel seat and Amy has a hard time seeing over the dash when I board or surf. She usually throws a towel or a life jacket in the seat to boost her up. Anything anyone has done to fix those two issues

Lots of threads about raising seat. Don't think a swivel will work in our boats.

I pulled my seat and put some PVC spacers and longer bolts in the raise it up an inch. About a half hour and 5 bucks.

It's getting there! On your carpet, how are you handling the edges? On my factory carpet the edges up along the seat bases have a finished edge to them, does yours have those too?

It's getting there! On your carpet, how are you handling the edges? On my factory carpet the edges up along the seat bases have a finished edge to them, does yours have those too?

They are finished around the drivers seat. I haven't quite figured that one out yet. It is two pieces of carpet in that location. The two ideas I currently have are:

1 Take the new carpet down the street and have a local upholstery guy finish those two edges.

2 finish the edge with a nice piece of stainless.

Amy is leaning towards the stainless idea but I will tackle that next weekend. Back to work for now.