Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Towing Tread

LJboater

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• jetskipro550

• LJboater

• wakesetter8796

Just curious what you 5.7 Litre Tundra guys are getting for mileage during normal use ? My 4.0 Litre gets a solid 18 and I drive pretty conservative. I drive a pretty equal mix of City/Highway.

Towing is right about 10MPG and I drive very conservatively, but usually go over significant mountain passes (4,000 ft). My wife drives purely in town and gets about 12MPG and is moderate/aggressive in her driving style. Mixed tank of highway and in town is right about 14MPG. I've never driven a whole tank highway/freeway without the boat in tow so I can't comment on that, but would guess somewhere around 16MPG?

It gets pretty poor mileage and with the prices above $4/gal around here it's painful to drive that thing all over. So much so, that next year when we buy a replacement to my civic I may keep the civic and use the truck just for weekend projects and towing the boat.

Towing is right about 10MPG and I drive very conservatively, but usually go over significant mountain passes (4,000 ft). My wife drives purely in town and gets about 12MPG and is moderate/aggressive in her driving style. Mixed tank of highway and in town is right about 14MPG. I've never driven a whole tank highway/freeway without the boat in tow so I can't comment on that, but would guess somewhere around 16MPG?

It gets pretty poor mileage and with the prices above $4/gal around here it's painful to drive that thing all over. So much so, that next year when we buy a replacement to my civic I may keep the civic and use the truck just for weekend projects and towing the boat.

That's what I did when I had my Dodge Ram V-10. Just used it for towing and weekend chores.

Just curious what you 5.7 Litre Tundra guys are getting for mileage during normal use ? My 4.0 Litre gets a solid 18 and I drive pretty conservative. I drive a pretty equal mix of City/Highway.

I get around 13.5-14 mpg and I drive pretty aggressively with about a 50/50 mix of in town and highway. It's hard not to drive fast with that 5.7, it's so much fun to drive and faster than most would think. In the summer I get 14 mpg pretty consistently and definitely notice a difference of about .5-1 mpg in the winter.

You must be bad at driving a manual if you can't do #1 and #2. Tease2.gif Just kidding. I eat in the car all the time and the clutch certainly doesn't impede that at all. I hate texting to begin with, but if I have to answer one behind the wheel the stick isn't going to impede that in the least. Whistling.gif

#3 is the reason I want one....driving is supposed to be fun IMO, not boring.

When ordering our 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7L V8 and 5-speed manual, the dealer thought I was crazy and asked several times if I really wanted a manual. I have loved having the ability to apply the power as I wish. We recently upgraded our tow vehicle to a MB GL550. It has no issues with power or comfort, but was a bit pricey.

martinarcher

When ordering our 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7L V8 and 5-speed manual, the dealer thought I was crazy and asked several times if I really wanted a manual. I have loved having the ability to apply the power as I wish. We recently upgraded our tow vehicle to a MB GL550. It has no issues with power or comfort, but was a bit pricey.

It's good someone understands the manual addiction. Thumbup.gif

In any vehicle resembling work, or serious in necessaty, ha, it's got to be a manual transmission. Ford top loader or borg warner attached to a big block ! Guaranteed to get you home.

Steve B.