Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Towing Tread

LJboater

Just waiting for everything to get warm. I started to think if my 06 4runner v8 is going to be able to tow a 2012 vlx. Its rated for 7000lbs but I have a feeling thats high. The wife agrees we should maybe look into this. She likes the new 4runner. But there web site states only 5000lbs capacity. Is there anyway a new 4runner could tow this. I like the new sequias (we are toyota people) Do I need to convinse her that is the way to go. We will be towing the boat every time we use it. Sometimes 10 or more.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• jetskipro550

• LJboater

• wakesetter8796

In my opinion, it's always better to go bigger with tow vehicles. They have stronger axles, transmissions, etc that will handle the extra abuse that towing will put on it.

FWIW, Towing at or near the "maximum towing rating" will significantly diminish the life of components like your transmission. Heat is the number one killer of tranny's, so if you intend to tow tow the the smaller SUV then do yourself a favor and install an additional transmission cooler (even if your suv came with one) and change you fluid religiously per the mfg suggested intervals. As long as you are not hot doggin it and stick to those two suggestions you should be fine. Personally I would not buy a new vehicle until I had a chance to see how my current one performs. If you can't downshift and pass without wrapping up your RPM's to 5K then I would say upgrade. Otherwise maintain your transmission religiously and use a tanny cooler and your good to go.

One final point...

More often the single failure point of a undersized vehicle is the brakes. Most vehicles these days have ample power to pull more than their rated capacity; however, they lack the true braking power to control the load should you end up in an emergency situation. While this is more of a subjective test I would offer find a safe road and test your vehicles ability to stop in emergency type of scenario. It is important to know the limitations of your vehicle. And while it stop just fine when the trailer has brakes to help keep in mind what if the trailer brakes fail. Will I have enough to stop safely.

Err on the side of caution. This is not a decision I would take lightly but it doesn't need to be over thought either. Use your head and I am sure you will come to a logical conclusion.

That's my $0.02.

How far are you towing? For the longest time I towed a lot (5-6k miles a year)... up long grades and in heat. I would not tow with a 4runner in these conditions. I now tow a mile to the launch ramp. I would definitely tow short distances with this truck. In fact I wish I still had my 05 Tundra (smaller v8) - that would be a perfect truck to tow short distances.

I wouldn't go the 4runner route. A used sequoia would be better for towing. Going close to the max really diminishes the life of parts (tranny, etc.) plus, with that maximum, you probably couldn't go 70.

...I towed a lot (5-6k miles a year)...

...I would not tow with a 4runner in these conditions. I now tow a mile to the launch ramp. I would definitely tow short distances with this truck.

Couldn't agree more. If its once a year to your slip then I wouldn't worry unless its a serious bear to get to. If it's everyone weekend you want to use the boat, then I personally would rather have something more "overbuilt"

Agree with the comments on here. Clarification: Are you only towing 10 miles? If so, you are fine. I had a 2008 V8 4Runner. It towed AND stopped a X-15 just fine. Lost a little power in the AWD system, but it was good. 4.7L V8 worked well.

It is my understanding that you can't get a new 4Runner with a V8 anymore. Thus, the 5,000 lb rating on the V6. (Remember that when you sell yours. It should in theory boost your re-sale, especially to someone who tows!)

Having said all of that, bigger is always better. I have a 2011 5.7 Tundra now. It tows like beast and it stops well, even a boat/trailer when the trailer brakes aren't working. If you're only towing 10 miles, I wouldn't worry it.....

Edited by skurfer

Thanks for all the replies. The new 4runner is out, I get the feeling some of you think I will be fine with my current 4runner. Is there anything out there that isn't considered a full size suv (IE Tahoe,Exbition,Armada) that could get the job done.

Something with a sold rear axle and or decent tow pakage that gets better than 17mpg........This might be wishfull thinking.

Thanks for all the replies. The new 4runner is out, I get the feeling some of you think I will be fine with my current 4runner. Is there anything out there that isn't considered a full size suv (IE Tahoe,Exbition,Armada) that could get the job done.

Something with a sold rear axle and or decent tow pakage that gets better than 17mpg........This might be wishfull thinking.

F-150 Ecoboost. I know you are a Toyota guy but for what you would spend on the Sequoia, you could get a very nicely equipped 4-door F-150 Ecoboost with the HD tow package (11,300# tow capacity) and have decent mileage as well. I have seen 20 mpg in mine and it's fun to drive. JMHO.

FWIW, Jdubya is right on the money.

Touareg, 7700lbs. People prefer 2008 with V8 and air suspension. I'd prefer a tundra, but only when towing...

Touareg V10 TDI!!!! 553 foot lbs of torque! 553!!!! Available at 1500 rpm. Incredible towing machine, reliability sucks though.

we just picked up a 2010 3.0 TDI Touareg (406 lbs-ft), which is rated for 7700lbs. it will only tow the LSV if NEEDED. that's what the Cummins is for. as the saying goes, "go big or go home". a short tow would be ok, but I prefer a tow rig designed for towing big loads. a used Sequoia would be a pretty good vehicle for ya. :crazy:

Edited by gorilla

I tow my '11 vlx with a 2004 sequoia 4x4, its rated for 6k pounds. It does fine, I believe the vlx with trailer (empty) is around 4800 lbs. Once you add fuel and gear I would estimate 5500 lbs. The sequoia does fine, it will pull grades decent and is good on the flats.

Make sure and get 4 wheel disc brakes on your trailer....this makes a huge difference for stopping.

I went through picking out a tow vehicle a year ago when I got my VTX. Here were some of the finalists:

Tourag... tows a heck of a lot but is really pretty small for a $60k SUV

BMW X5. Will tow 6k lbs

Jeep Grand Cherokee. 7400 with the V8. Prob $45k loaded new

Dodge Durango. 7400 with the V8. About $50k loaded new

We went with the new Durango. It's a tad smaller than an Armada or sequoia. I think it has more room than a Tahoe (third row seat is pretty decent). I really like what Dodge has done with the interior. It has a radar cruise control that keeps distance between you and the car in front of you. We liked it so much that we're thinking about adding a Grand Cherokee to the family. The Cherokee is a little wider... a little shorter.. and doesn't have a third row. All the same amenities available as the Durango though. The Durango has been solid for a year now! I can barely tell the boat is back there... and we tow every weekend and on long trips. It's been up and down the mountains from OH to NC twice.

Happy hunting.

Oh... and I wouldn't go a pound over the tow rating of your vehicle. Field day for the lawyers if you take out a family or some exec. because you can't brake in time.

I have a 08 Sequoia 5.7 6 speed 17-18 mpg with the boat 12.5mpg. I think it is the best bang for the buck. Fits 8 people no problem and as far as pulling the boat you want even know it is back their. The thing is a beast. Like a good man quoted earlier (we are toyota people) LOL. :thumbup:

I went through picking out a tow vehicle a year ago when I got my VTX. Here were some of the finalists:

Tourag... tows a heck of a lot but is really pretty small for a $60k SUV

BMW X5. Will tow 6k lbs

Jeep Grand Cherokee. 7400 with the V8. Prob $45k loaded new

Dodge Durango. 7400 with the V8. About $50k loaded new

We went with the new Durango. It's a tad smaller than an Armada or sequoia. I think it has more room than a Tahoe (third row seat is pretty decent). I really like what Dodge has done with the interior. It has a radar cruise control that keeps distance between you and the car in front of you. We liked it so much that we're thinking about adding a Grand Cherokee to the family. The Cherokee is a little wider... a little shorter.. and doesn't have a third row. All the same amenities available as the Durango though. The Durango has been solid for a year now! I can barely tell the boat is back there... and we tow every weekend and on long trips. It's been up and down the mountains from OH to NC twice.

Happy hunting.

Huh? JGC is more expensive than the Durango when loaded...

Built on the older Mercedes ML chassis which easily handles the LSV. Of course, make sure you get any package that gives you larger brakes. The ones on the AMG work stellar. While the truck can take it, if I were toying 6k miles a year though I'd still rather have something beefier. For how often I tow though it would make no sense.

Huh? JGC is more expensive than the Durango when loaded...

Built on the older Mercedes ML chassis which easily handles the LSV. Of course, make sure you get any package that gives you larger brakes. The ones on the AMG work stellar. While the truck can take it, if I were toying 6k miles a year though I'd still rather have something beefier. For how often I tow though it would make no sense.

JGC $46k on edmunds site ... overland package with most stuff on it.

You're right... Durango comes in at the same. I was figuring the tax in from our purchase.

We have had great luck with our Armada Platinum. Huge brakes, we tow 7,000 no problem, it will tow 9000 pounds. Best tow vehicle we have had. I would go with that. $57k with every option new: $40k used.

Toyota allll day long.

2010 5.7L Tundra here, 50k miles, very heavy towing(9000lb RV @75mph, 247 weighs approx 7800 w/ trailer) 100% flawless. This truck is such a beast, and such high quality I doubt I will ever buy anything else.

I am now a certified Toyota snot.

Toyota allll day long.

2010 5.7L Tundra here, 50k miles, very heavy towing(9000lb RV @75mph, 247 weighs approx 7800 w/ trailer) 100% flawless. This truck is such a beast, and such high quality I doubt I will ever buy anything else.

I am now a certified Toyota snot.

You're racking up the miles! We just hit 20k on our 2010 Tundra that we bought in December 2009. It does tow really well, but gets poor mileage (to be expected). I assume the Sequoia would be just as good if he got the 5.7 and tow package.

I agree. Since he likes Toyotas, that would be a good choice. He could get a used basic SR5 4x4 with the 5.7 and tow package and that wouldn't run much more than $30k, maybe less.

I agree. Since he likes Toyotas, that would be a good choice. He could get a used basic SR5 4x4 with the 5.7 and tow package and that wouldn't run much more than $30k, maybe less.

if he is looking at a 2012, SR5 4x4 new... say medium options(tow package, cloth seats, 4 door, power windows and locks)....he be lucky to get out at less than $35k.