Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Customer Service Sucks

mympower

jkendallmsce

It's hard to connect the dots on the Great Recession? When Malibu has to make severe cost-cuts to be able to operate and when resources are understandably directed towards product which makes revenue to pay for customer service folks?

Where in any post that I have made have I made any excuses nor that there is not ever room for improvement? So, what kool-aid am I drinking? The simple bottom line is that these things are handmade and bear no resemblance to a carbureted ski boat which was good enough for the industry for 30 years. Things are different, more complex, and more expensive. Malibu can't run an entire field test of black boxes or MTCs. They can vet the best they can (which they did) and if there's common issues, deal with them, which they do. Pro-actively replacing MTCs is not customer care? And who said we're talking about LS3 overheat? You're the first to mention that and Malibu doesn't even make the engine, you know that.

THe LS3 engine is a great/perfect example. The base engine for the Corvette. Great engine, tried and tested for years. Marinized. Malibu throws it into a Reponse LXI....BUT due to a few nuances, those engines /boats installed along with heaters and showers, experienced problems with the engine overheating. No problem with the stand alone engine, heater, or the shower, but when all 3 are installed in the same boat, there are problems.

And yes, Malibu does not make the engine, does ANYONE on this site not know that Malibu does NOT make the engines that propel the boats, that they buy them from Indmar? where have you been??? What is your point?? Looks on Indmar's site and you'll see the LS3.

Had the combination of Indmar's LS3 engine, not sure who makes the heater and shower been properly tested (or as you say: vetted), the problem would have been caught, and a proper solution to fix the problem. Instead, there are continuing problems, with no good fix.

ANd customer service has dropped the ball, and dropped it several times.

ANd you need to be aware, that some dealers refuse to do any Malibu warranty work, unless they have signed authorization from Malibu.....cause they have been burned too many times. Try to explain that!!

I am no way saying to not buy Malibu...they make great boats (I have owned Malibus from my 1990 skier to the 2010 LXI), but just cause you've not had any problems/issues, doesn't mean there are any issues with customer service and that they can't make improvements. That is an overly simple concept.

I know you want to parse words, and challenge every printed word, but I have made my point(s), know the facts, have docummentation to back it all up, and don't have time or patience to parse word with pinheads who think they know it all.

Edited by jkendallmsce
  • Like 1

THe LS3 engine is a great/perfect example. The base engine for the Corvette. Great engine, tried and tested for years. Marinized. Malibu throws it into a Reponse LXI....BUT due to a few nuances, those engines /boats installed along with heaters and showers, experienced problems with the engine overheating. No problem with the stand alone engine, heater, or the shower, but when all 3 are installed in the same boat, there are problems.

And yes, Malibu does not make the engine, does ANYONE on this site not know that Malibu does NOT make the engines that propel the boats, that they buy them from Indmar? where have you been??? What is your point?? Looks on Indmar's site and you'll see the LS3.

Had the combination of Indmar's LS3 engine, not sure who makes the heater and shower been properly tested (or as you say: vetted), the problem would have been caught, and a proper solution to fix the problem. Instead, there are continuing problems, with no good fix.

ANd customer service has dropped the ball, and dropped it several times.

ANd you need to be aware, that some dealers refuse to do any Malibu warranty work, unless they have signed authorization from Malibu.....cause they have been burned too many times. Try to explain that!!

I am no way saying to not buy Malibu...they make great boats (I have owned Malibus from my 1990 skier to the 2010 LXI), but just cause you've not had any problems/issues, doesn't mean there are any issues with customer service and that they can't make improvements. That is an overly simple concept.

I know you want to parse words, and challenge every printed word, but I have made my point(s), know the facts, have docummentation to back it all up, and don't have time or patience to continue.....

I have owned other brands, it happens with all of the boat builders. I truly believe your dealer can make or break the brand name for you, making owning a boat enjoyable or a complete headache.

I do agree customer service at Malibu is sub par, still waiting for a phone call back on two surveys I filled out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so we keep the tally current and folks don't think I really get to experience this trouble free "Malibu Difference" I keep hearing about:

I went to Lowes and bought locknuts and new washers to secure the dash back together so the center display doesn't end up in my lap. 3$. If anyone else has the same problem, no worries, 3$ bought enough to do 3 boats, so I got your back even though Malibu didn't, shoot me a PM so we can keep our dashes in our boats.

Update:

So after popping 2 20amp fuses that feed the Viper Box, I put a 30a in there and everything works fine???? I know I know... but my dealer is

4hrs away....

I think that 10amp difference is the "Malibu Difference" they talk about on their website.

where is that customer service rep that came on here months ago and intro'd himself????

Blake?? Anyone??

Crickets.

• Like 1

Let's all remember that you rarely hear about the good stuff.......

I just purchased a new 2012 Response TXi from Paradise WaterSports here in Sothern California. This is my fourth Malibu, and I can tell you that it won't be my last. Malibu has ALWAYS done the right thing to take care of me and has ALWAYS stepped up whenever / whatever the problem may be. They have EARNED my loyalty and make the best boats in the industry.

I have a lot of positive experiences with Malibu ofer the past 25 years.........

I had a problem with the exhaust flaps with my '86 Skier and to keep the story short, Malibu helped me with a rebuild of the motor due to water injestion. The way Malibu handled that problem 25 years ago is why I am still a customer today. I have had a few minor issues over the years, and without fail Malibu makes it right.

My 2012 TXi may have been one of the very first TXi's and we had a few MINOR issues. It took a few emails with my Dealer and once Blake at Malibu engaged in the issue Malibu really stepped up and took care of everything......To be clear my issues were relatively minor associated with the Salt Water Package - and have all been corrected.

Customer loyalty is hard to gain and can be easily lost. Paradise WaterSports, Blake, and Malibu are to be commended. Malibu builds the best boat in the industry and stand behind their product and their commitment to quality.

John

Paradise Watersports is AWESOME. I wish they were near Delta.

I just purchased a new 2012 Response TXi from Paradise WaterSports here in Sothern California. This is my fourth Malibu, and I can tell you that it won't be my last. Malibu has ALWAYS done the right thing to take care of me and has ALWAYS stepped up whenever / whatever the problem may be. They have EARNED my loyalty and make the best boats in the industry.

I have a lot of positive experiences with Malibu ofer the past 25 years.........

I had a problem with the exhaust flaps with my '86 Skier and to keep the story short, Malibu helped me with a rebuild of the motor due to water injestion. The way Malibu handled that problem 25 years ago is why I am still a customer today. I have had a few minor issues over the years, and without fail Malibu makes it right.

My 2012 TXi may have been one of the very first TXi's and we had a few MINOR issues. It took a few emails with my Dealer and once Blake at Malibu engaged in the issue Malibu really stepped up and took care of everything......To be clear my issues were relatively minor associated with the Salt Water Package - and have all been corrected.

Customer loyalty is hard to gain and can be easily lost. Paradise WaterSports, Blake, and Malibu are to be commended. Malibu builds the best boat in the industry and stand behind their product and their commitment to quality.

John

jkendallmsce

John

Just what did Blake do for you??

Here is my latest experience with Blake: Blake sloughed off 2 warranty issues to a Malibu employee at the Merced plant via email. I called and left several messages at the Merced plant with NOT ONE call returned by this employee. When I did catch up with Blake 2 weeks later, I was told the employee at the Merced plant that Blake emailed directing him to help me with my warranty issues, did not feel he could properly take care of the warranty issues, so he never returned my calls....Blake KNEW all this and NEVER took the time to either call me himslef or have someone else from Malibu call me???? WTF kinda customer service is that???

The ball did not get dropped, it was was treated like a radioactive steaming hot terd, that no one wanted to handle. ANd Blake is the type, that does not like to get his hands dirty with the small details, as he is one of them big thinkers, always looking at the bigger picture!!!!

jkendallmsce

I have owned other brands, it happens with all of the boat builders. I truly believe your dealer can make or break the brand name for you, making owning a boat enjoyable or a complete headache.

I do agree customer service at Malibu is sub par, still waiting for a phone call back on two surveys I filled out.

I agree...but saying Malibu's customer service is subpar is akin to saying Rodney King got a slap on the wrist for his erratic driving!!

I have a documented complaint going to the National Consumer Protection Board for military members with his and Springer's name on it, detailing the way they handled my situation, as not friendly and predatory to those who serve(reassigned away from original dealer and refused/delayed service...save $$). My goal is to get an advisory message sent to every military installation worldwide to warn service members about folks like this who take $$$ and the turn their backs when issues happen, I see that as my responsibility, I don't want anyone else to go thru this.  Perhaps other boats companys will/have appreciate service members and put controls in place to ensure they don't get screwed when then can't get "home dealer" treatment, or make them drive 4hrs to find a dealer willing to service them at all, because their boats are so poorly QAQC'd, then company exec's are notified and they ignore.

Ok, so we keep the tally current and folks don't think I really get to experience this trouble free "Malibu Difference" I keep hearing about:

I went to Lowes and bought locknuts and new washers to secure the dash back together so the center display doesn't end up in my lap. 3$. If anyone else has the same problem, no worries, 3$ bought enough to do 3 boats, so I got your back even though Malibu didn't, shoot me a PM so we can keep our dashes in our boats.

Update:

So after popping 2 20amp fuses that feed the Viper Box, I put a 30a in there and everything works fine???? I know I know... but my dealer is

4hrs away....

I think that 10amp difference is the "Malibu Difference" they talk about on their website.

where is that customer service rep that came on here months ago and intro'd himself????

Blake?? Anyone??

Crickets.

My dash bezel is currently gorilla taped in place under the helm, both studs fell out of the bezel itself. My dealer has a new part on order, only 6 weeks to get it.... It works fine now, but not using nylock nuts on this made no sense to me. Both fell out, dealer fixed them, now the studs have released....

Not sure in some of Malibus thought process they use. Every bolt on the boat should be nylocked or they will eventually vibrate loose!

• Like 1

Isn't Malibu shut down right now? Change to 2013's next week?!?!?!? Might be why some are getting responses...

Edited by skurfer

Just what did Blake do for you??

Here is my latest experience with Blake: Blake sloughed off 2 warranty issues to a Malibu employee at the Merced plant via email. I called and left several messages at the Merced plant with NOT ONE call returned by this employee. When I did catch up with Blake 2 weeks later, I was told the employee at the Merced plant that Blake emailed directing him to help me with my warranty issues, did not feel he could properly take care of the warranty issues, so he never returned my calls....Blake KNEW all this and NEVER took the time to either call me himslef or have someone else from Malibu call me???? WTF kinda customer service is that???

The ball did not get dropped, it was was treated like a radioactive steaming hot terd, that no one wanted to handle. ANd Blake is the type, that does not like to get his hands dirty with the small details, as he is one of them big thinkers, always looking at the bigger picture!!!!

Where is your dealer? You should not be calling Malibu, they should be. My dealer told me Malubu really does not want customers calling them directly. They want to talk to the dealers.

And for what its worth, my last boat also had little items go wrong. There is no perfect boat, they all have problems at times. It can be frustrating, but having your dealer help you will expedite everything for you.

I hope you can get this resolved...

• 1 month later...

I have to admit Wizard Lake Marine are great sales guys!!! They will tell you anything you want to hear just to sell a boat. We bought a 2012 LSV 247 in July 2012 had it serviced after the 10 hrs at Wizard Lake and headed out to the Shuswap. Put .1 of an hour on our boat and the V-drive ceased due to water in the V-drive. Luckily we had a cell phone and called Wizard we were put on hold for about 45 min and were told that they really couldn't help us and refused to give us an after hours number let alone talk to any of the owners. We were left stranded in the Lake and had to get towed in by our neighbors. I found a malibu dealer in Kelowna (on my own) and they were more than helpful. They replaced the V-drive the next day but it cost us an extra $6200.00 on a boat that we paid $115,000.00 new. We are still waiting to see if Malibu will step up and warranty this but we have yet to hear from Wizard Lake (it has been a month) as far as they are concerned we are still stranded at the lake. We have been boating for over 30 years and have had 4 new boats - never have we been treated so poorly as Wizard Lake has demonstrated...what service?????? Buyer beware they may be voted top sales but as far as service goes it is nonexistant. Hope you guys (Ron, Gord & family) had a great holiday because ours sucked - thanks to your caring and compasionate business ethics!!!

PS I wish we would have done our homework a little more - we have talked to numerous people since our breakdown that have boughten boats from Wizard and I have yet to hear anything positive. Unfortunately they all have simular stories about Wizard Lake Marine :(

On the positive side - we love the boat but that dealership is something else!!!!

I have to admit Wizard Lake Marine are great sales guys!!! They will tell you anything you want to hear just to sell a boat. We bought a 2012 LSV 247 in July 2012 had it serviced after the 10 hrs at Wizard Lake and headed out to the Shuswap. Put .1 of an hour on our boat and the V-drive ceased due to water in the V-drive. Luckily we had a cell phone and called Wizard we were put on hold for about 45 min and were told that they really couldn't help us and refused to give us an after hours number let alone talk to any of the owners. We were left stranded in the Lake and had to get towed in by our neighbors. I found a malibu dealer in Kelowna (on my own) and they were more than helpful. They replaced the V-drive the next day but it cost us an extra $6200.00 on a boat that we paid $115,000.00 new. We are still waiting to see if Malibu will step up and warranty this but we have yet to hear from Wizard Lake (it has been a month) as far as they are concerned we are still stranded at the lake. We have been boating for over 30 years and have had 4 new boats - never have we been treated so poorly as Wizard Lake has demonstrated...what service?????? Buyer beware they may be voted top sales but as far as service goes it is nonexistant. Hope you guys (Ron, Gord & family) had a great holiday because ours sucked - thanks to your caring and compasionate business ethics!!!

PS I wish we would have done our homework a little more - we have talked to numerous people since our breakdown that have boughten boats from Wizard and I have yet to hear anything positive. Unfortunately they all have simular stories about Wizard Lake Marine :(

On the positive side - we love the boat but that dealership is something else!!!!

Was water in the Vdrive when you took it in for the 10 hr service???? If they changed the vdrive fluid and it happened during the 10 hrs you had it they should have noticed this immediately, apparently they did not. Bummer, I am convinced learning how to service your boat is the best dealer to have.... I never take my boat in unless I absolutely have to, it just always seems to create more problems.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

Was water in the Vdrive when you took it in for the 10 hr service???? If they changed the vdrive fluid and it happened during the 10 hrs you had it they should have noticed this immediately, apparently they did not. Bummer, I am convinced learning how to service your boat is the best dealer to have.... I never take my boat in unless I absolutely have to, it just always seems to create more problems.

So happy my dad is a mechanic just for that reason. It helps out a lot actually.

What engine do you have in your 247???

You paid 6200$ to have your Vdrive replaced on a 2012???

I'm just gonna put this out there....those are some pretty wild claims. I hope your situation improves.

All I know is I contacted Malibu through their online contact page and got no response whatsoever. It's a bit frustrating because their contact page has all this language about "your inquiry is important to us" and "one of our customer service representatives will contact you within 24 hours" and such. What a bunch of corporate PR crap.

Malibu, if you're not going to bother responding to customers, then please don't insult us with your corporate phrases suggesting customer inquiries really matter. It's really quite offensive.

• Like 2

All I know is I contacted Malibu through their online contact page and got no response whatsoever. It's a bit frustrating because their contact page has all this language about "your inquiry is important to us" and "one of our customer service representatives will contact you within 24 hours" and such. What a bunch of corporate PR crap.

Malibu, if you're not going to bother responding to customers, then please don't insult us with your corporate phrases suggesting customer inquiries really matter. It's really quite offensive.

I have found the best way to Malibu is through your local dealer, not that I agree with it, but it seems to get the best results. I think they are very under staffed for the amount of boats on the water. I am still waiting for a response and follow up call from my two surveys I filled out when I bought my 2011.... that has almost been two years ago :(..... I definitely think they need to look at customer service, there seems to be very little unless you go through your dealer.

Contact Blake Moore at the TN plant...He is the Customer Service Manager. And he is the one who'll decide if it get paid or not.

Forget the local dealer, go start to the source......faster, simpler and nothing lost communication wise.

And you are exactly right when you say that customer service sucks...Malibu needs to make MAJOR (even GENERAL, if we are using military rankings) imporvements in that department......like maybe fire the entire bunch and start over.

The customer service has steadily gone down the rat hole since Mailbu was sold. Sure the economy has not helped, nor did closing the Merced plant, but with recreational stuff, customer service HAS to be a priority....cause folsk will takte their money elswhere...Just look at Tige when they first started making boats...they were actually made at the Ski Centurion plant in Merced....BUT their customer service was sooo much better that Ski Centurions....now look who makes more boats and has a better reputation within the industry....Tige or Ski Centurion?? No comparison!!

Edited by jkendallmsce

I have to respond. I have found Wizard Lake Marine to be everything a dealer should be from sales to service to warranty. I too hope Ron, Gord and Family had a great holiday and i am sorry you did not.

Any idea how water got into the v-drive? did you have that much water in the bilge at some point that the water could enter the v-drive vent?

Why do I have a feeling "Malibumeg" has made up this bogus story. Same post on 3 threads...if she doesnt have the balls to respond to these questions perhaps her posts should be removed.

Yep, sounds fishy to me. folks putting BS posts on here contribute nothing. I dont know how a dealer could even charge for the Vdrive swap on a 2012 unless it was operator neglect.

Meg- did you forget to put your hull plugs in when you launched your boat and you swamped the engine compartment thus the Vdrive damage???

Thats why I wanted to know what motor is in his 247. Unless he has the 555hp with every single Malibu option avail + custom stuff done at the dealer.... no way the 247 could be $115k.

Yep, sounds fishy to me. folks putting BS posts on here contribute nothing. I dont know how a dealer could even charge for the Vdrive swap on a 2012 unless it was operator neglect.

Meg- did you forget to put your hull plugs in when you launched your boat and you swamped the engine compartment thus the Vdrive damage???

Thats why I wanted to know what motor is in his 247. Unless he has the 555hp with every single Malibu option avail + custom stuff done at the dealer.... no way the 247 could be $115k.

There is a sucker born every minute, if Candian, with taxes, whatever they charge up there, import taxes, etc. I could see it

We are in the process of moving to Costa Rica, and to import a car, they charge you 80% of the car's value, and they determine the car's value!!! you have no say!! Not sure if the ole Bayliner is worth making the trip.... course I have been told, that a small donation will go along way indetermining the car's worth!!!

I guess they are just more up front and direct about stuff like that, than in CA!!!!

There is a sucker born every minute, if Candian, with taxes, whatever they charge up there, import taxes, etc. I could see it

We are in the process of moving to Costa Rica, and to import a car, they charge you 80% of the car's value, and they determine the car's value!!! you have no say!! Not sure if the ole Bayliner is worth making the trip.... course I have been told, that a small donation will go along way indetermining the car's worth!!!

I guess they are just more up front and direct about stuff like that, than in CA!!!!

Megs whole post seems suspect...i assume the price she quoted is suspect as well...it is something a troll would throw out to get a reaction. With free trade there are no import taxes and the tax rate on a boat is a flat 5% in Alberta.