Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's In Your Playlist?

srintx

I have to say there are some good songs on here but rarely does one of the featured tracks actually make it to my playlist.....However, I have to say that Rival Sons is bad a**. Keep on swinging is now on my ride list. 

ThanX!

28 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

SiriusXM :thumbup:

There's always something we like on one of 12 presets.

Next truck I get I'll get a detachable Sirius receiver, can't bring myself to pay for a separate subscription for the boat.  For now we just use Pandora and a phone, buying and loading a bunch of music on a device sounds like too much work.

11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Next truck I get I'll get a detachable Sirius receiver, can't bring myself to pay for a separate subscription for the boat.

They have a monthly music only plan for $15 per month. We have XM in the cars year round but just get May thru Sept for the boat portable - which also gets used on the deck and dock.

5 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

They have a monthly music only plan for $15 per month. We have XM in the cars year round but just get May thru Sept for the boat portable - which also gets used on the deck and dock.

Hmm, worth looking into for that price.  My stereo is Sirius ready, looks like for $40 I could add the tuner it needs.

http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV300v1-Connect-Vehicle-Satellite/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=dp_ob_title_wld 

16 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Next truck I get I'll get a detachable Sirius receiver, can't bring myself to pay for a separate subscription for the boat.  For now we just use Pandora and a phone, buying and loading a bunch of music on a device sounds like too much work.

if you don't mind streaming data, why not just use itunes match or google music?  No need to load on your device, just stream from your cloud library.

Sirius seriously sounds like AM radio.  SQ is truly awful.  Still, I do like listening to the talking heads on some of the lunatic fringe talk radio channels.... BUT I don't think I'd pay for it.  My pioneer XM receiver in my truck that I picked up used just keeps pulling in channels without a subscription and I'm not about to call and complain.

5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

if you don't mind streaming data, why not just use itunes match or google music?  No need to load on your device, just stream from your cloud library.

Sirius seriously sounds like AM radio.  SQ is truly awful.  Still, I do like listening to the talking heads on some of the lunatic fringe talk radio channels.... BUT I don't think I'd pay for it.  My pioneer XM receiver in my truck that I picked up used just keeps pulling in channels without a subscription and I'm not about to call and complain.

Sirius sounds fine to me, I've got stock stereos in everything and don't blare music.  We have subscriptions in both cars.   Pandora works fine for streaming, but would be nicer to just use the built in stereo and tune it to Octane or Hair Nation without having to attach the phone.  iAnything is pretty much forbidden at our house ;) 

Edited by oldjeep
14 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Sirius sounds fine to me, I've got stock stereos in everything and don't blare music.  We have subscriptions in both cars.   Pandora works fine for streaming, but would be nicer to just use the built in stereo without having to attach the phone.  iAnything is pretty much forbidden at our house ;) 

Well, apple music works on android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.android.music&hl=en  It's also only $15/mo for a family subscription ($10/mo individual) so you can run on multiple devices.  It used to be called Beats Music if that makes you feel better.

Shoot, spotify is only $10 a month for the paid no commercials version (single device at a time, I think), and its SQ is head and shoulders above Sirius.  In addition to listening to "radio" stations and curated playlists, you also have the ability to download any music in their catalog to your device and play offline.

(google music subscription service works similarly, I think, for same $10 a month, but I've never played with it)

But you could also just buy the streaming sirius subscription for $15 a month and skip the radio tuner bit. (why you would pay more for inferior SQ just to prove your status as a tin-ear contrarian I cannot fathom, but this is 'murca and you can do whatcha want!)

Edited by shawndoggy

Again - simplicity of using the tuner in the boat is a benefit to me over having a phone connected to the stereo via the headphone plug.  And for whatever reason in my boat and every phone we own, we get a ton of noise if I have the usb attached to keep the phone charged while it is also attached to the stereo input.

Looks like Sirius is $10.99 for the Mostly Music - before whatever discount it is I get for having multiple subscriptions.  Thanks @minnmarker for the info, I haven't really paid any attention to the service levels they have added since my truck has a lifetime everything subscription I bought 7 years ago and I set my wife up with her plan 5 years ago and never even look at it.

Edited by oldjeep

bluetoof or airplay are always options... I don't get noise through those while charging.

If you have an electrical issue that's causing noise, is there a strong reason to believe you won't have the same issue when using a portable XM tuner?

Edited by shawndoggy
1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

bluetoof or airplay are always options... I don't get noise through those while charging.

If you have an electrical issue that's causing noise, is there a strong reason to believe you won't have the same issue when using a portable XM tuner?

Not a portable tuner.  The one that is designed to plug right into the back of the head unit.  My factory head unit has no Bluetooth (RXF3000) (RFXMR5BB)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3FUQOIES8LU9I&coliid=I3CE5XCPX3H9L2&psc=1

Hmmm, well I can play you some sirius in my truck and then I can play you some 128kps mp3s streamed over BT (so double compressed) and there's no comparison.  At all.  Sirius/XM's SQ is absolute garbage and DEFINITELY not better than FM.  

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:56 PM, oldjeep said:

Not a portable tuner.  The one that is designed to plug right into the back of the head unit.  My factory head unit has no Bluetooth (RXF3000) (RFXMR5BB)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3FUQOIES8LU9I&coliid=I3CE5XCPX3H9L2&psc=1

well bummer. That tuner doesn't work with my radio, picked one up at best buy.  Turns out that the only thing that will work is an SCC1 which is discontinued and only available from places like eBay - used.

Been using Spotify the last month or so SkySkiing & paddling. It's barely making a dent in the data on my cell account. Sounds good enough my sub is hitting, good highs, tons of playlists already in place or build your own, good selection of music, etc. No ads is friggin awesome. Wonder how long thats going to last.

On 4/16/2016 at 8:32 PM, oldjeep said:

well bummer. That tuner doesn't work with my radio, picked one up at best buy.  Turns out that the only thing that will work is an SCC1 which is discontinued and only available from places like eBay - used.

This was on sale for $45 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-Satellite-Radio-SXPL1V1-Vehicle/dp/B00I59XQKO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Screw this into the floor molding thing right below the head unit: http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-Swivel-Screw-Mount-Heavy/dp/B017DMWSR0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

And if you want to play or stream with your phone you can change it out for this using the RAM stalk: http://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Holder-Universal-X-Grip-Cellphone/dp/B0055PH0XA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage