Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Rules

a92harley92

The whole pop, soda, coke thing is regional and even state to state. We had this long conversation the other day at work, so this is like deja vu, ha.

This is gonna be a great summer,

Steve B.

Here is a link to the pop vs. soda chart by County

My link

No shoes. Ever. Even made my pastor and his wife take them off. Wife gave me the "eye".

No drinking and driving. Ever.

I dock my boat. Always. The learning curve is too expensive. Go learn to dock someone elses boat.

I wipe my boat down inside and out everytime I bring it back to the lift. Always.

Take your trash with you. Always.

We will not go fast until the engine is up to temperature. Always. Sit back and relax.

Keep your skis on the swim platform or in the ski locker. Don't put them on my seats. Ever.

I like my music. I will try yours. If I don't like it, I will change it. Always.

I won't give up on teaching you how to ski. As long as you don't give up on yourself. Ever.

You are always welcome to bring a can of gas. Always.

You are never expected to bring a can of gas. Ever.

If you'd like to eat and drink, bring it. Always.

Thats about it. :biggrin:

We really only have 2 rules. First one is that the boat is driven from one seat, and it's the helm seat. Unless you are in the water at the end of the rope, do not tell me how to drive. Second one, if you wear shoes in the boat, you clean the boat. Correctly.

Oh, and don't touch the radio :biggrin:

Edited by CVand2010VLX

No spitting, fighting, or swearing (except at tubers or jet skiers that come too close). This also applies to hand gestures up to and including the elbow.

You may wear anything that you like while boarding, but if anything falls out, you must put it back in yourself and the pictures will be posted on Facebook.

If you don't want to step in it, sit in it, or clean it up, don't eat or drink it in the boat. :biggrin:

I think a lot of it depends on the condition of your boat and how you conduct yourself. If your boat is spotless and in pristine condition I believe the average person will respect your rather large

investment. common sense should should be applied. even when I was on a brand new VTX and watched the owning spitting his own sunflower seeds on the floor of his boat I still removed my shoes and kept my space clean and tidy.

Dipping feet is my number one rule. When people have to walk across beach sand to get on the dock and in the boat, everyone dips.

How many of you have teenagers? I am pretty sure that if I handed mine a laminated card of rulez, there would be a mutiny.Unsure.gif

No laminated sheet of rules, there would be mutiny. My kids know the rules and they actually enforce them withtheir friend if the kids don't pick up on the rules themselves. :rockon: As for the number, last year we usually had 8-10 on the boat and all but three or four were teens, with one 10 year old. The teens greatly outnumber the adults. I actually did one trip last year with 8 teens plus me, the only issue I had was I didn't get to ride and we went through an entire tank of gas.

Rule 1 - welcome and and HAVE FUN

Rule 2 - no shoes

Rule 3- HAVE FUN

We went out with a friend a few years back that had lots of rules and obsessed about them... it actually ruined the day....we were yelling at our kids ... he was complaining about them... we have never been back out with him...completely missed the point when you are more interested in your stuff than enjoying it with friends and family.

Your boat will suffer some wear and tear..and IMHO that is the point of owning it... mine still gets well cared for... wash wax..cleaning...vinyl protectant...all maintenance done but when I do sell it I will be selling a 8 or 9 out 10 boat... and those two lost points will be worth every minute.

example I had a good sized gouge in my gel coat last year... a young girl as putting on a wakeboard and spun around and tagged the boat... my response in a level voice was please be careful... her parents felt bad but I said it happens she knows what to do next time.... If I freaked out she and her parents probably won't be in a rush to come out again.... which would result in a lost opportunity to hang out with friends an a girl who really loves wakeboarding losing an opportunity to do it... that gouge was a good investment. The gouge is now fixed and everyone carries on.

No glass bottles, stay away from ropes, & sit down with hands in boat when pulling into the lift. Adults & kids always want to grab the lift when pulling in to help, & I end up yelling at them. No accidents so far but people don't understand what is going to happen if there hands or fingers get pinched & usually they will get me crooked. It may seem anal about pulling into the lift but the water is usually rough and I have 1 shot to get on the bunks. If I have to back up & try again I am not the happiest camper. Our place is located on a point and most boats come close & I have to watch for other boats or wait & then turn around for a 2nd attempt.

I like the 3M idea! On my 99 VLX I had the gunnel steps. What are other using to protect and use as steps for the gunnels?

Here is what I have used. My wife took a really bad fall getting out of a friends boat due to slick fiberglass and bare feet.

I am very happy with the result as I like the looks of it and it makes it so much safer. It also protects against those times when people still have there shoes / flip-flops on (it will happen).

Kris

No laminated sheet of rules, there would be mutiny. My kids know the rules and they actually enforce them withtheir friend if the kids don't pick up on the rules themselves. :rockon: As for the number, last year we usually had 8-10 on the boat and all but three or four were teens, with one 10 year old. The teens greatly outnumber the adults. I actually did one trip last year with 8 teens plus me, the only issue I had was I didn't get to ride and we went through an entire tank of gas.

8+ teenagers wow, you would need a case of "pops" and four bags of cheetos an hour just to keep them alive

Awesome, looks like the hardest part is making the template...

Here is what I have used. My wife took a really bad fall getting out of a friends boat due to slick fiberglass and bare feet.

http://www.themalibu...__1#entry452882

I am very happy with the result as I like the looks of it and it makes it so much safer. It also protects against those times when people still have there shoes / flip-flops on (it will happen).

Kris

Kris

:plus1: just added this to my project list for his spring. Under the rear hatches and behind the tower.

I like the 3M idea! On my 99 VLX I had the gunnel steps. What are other using to protect and use as steps for the gunnels?

For years I have been using a piece of black, cushioned grip, shelf liner about the size of a small towel and available from Lowe's. I carry it in the boat and throw it over the gunnel, adjacent to the tower whenever we dock. It grips to the boat regardless of how wet or slippery, protects the gunnel but more importantly, prevents folks from slipping off the gunnel.

8+ teenagers wow, you would need a case of "pops" and four bags of cheetos an hour just to keep them alive

Yea pretty much, They are all good kids so it makes clean up pretty easy, even when something does get spilled.

• 4 weeks later...

You can usually tell west coast from east coast by those who use the term "pop". :) I just tell people the basics, no smoking, no shoes, and if it's darker than coors light, wait till we stop. But then again I have a small crew, and it's been the same way for awhile. If anyone new comes out, I tell them the rules before we even get them to the lake. Pretty easy to remember!

I like that. The worst is a glass of merlot after hitting a huge roller :/

Only simple boating stuff for people new to boating - don't jump over the sides, don't get out or in if the engine is on, everyone wears a life jack or ski diaper when in the water (everyone).

Regarding our boat - we are into boating to have fun. Only rules are no alcohol (save it for later), and no cheetos.

I have 3 dogs, 100 lb Silver Lab, 70 lb Black Lab and a 20 lb Italian Greyhound. We watch our neighbor take off in his fishing boat, with his black lab on the dock going huhhhh????? My wife and I are in the process of buying a Malibu SS LXI. Taking the dogs boating is mandatory. My neighbor on the other side is even more meticulous!! I know it's going to be a pain, but we are dog lovers and can't imagine not taking our furry kids!! I even thought about booties! Geez!! But I do want to protect our investment! Any suggestions? Thanks

I have 3 dogs, 100 lb Silver Lab, 70 lb Black Lab and a 20 lb Italian Greyhound. But I do want to protect our investment! Any suggestions?

There is a wide array of what is considered "reasonable boat care" on this forum. I have buddies that take out their dogs a couple times a week. While their boats are not perfect (and the carpet gets full of hair), the vinyl isn't totally trashed. If dogs were a priority of mine, I'd do the following.

1) always buy used boats

2) set aside a grand and plan on getting the seat cusions (and possibly back deck) reuppolstered in a couple years. (note, seat bottoms are the cheapest item to have reupohlstered.)