Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Rules

a92harley92

The only rules I tell people about before getting on board are 'no shoes, no glass'.

If I see red wine, hawaiian punch, or any other liquid that stains easily I ask them to leave it on the dock and offer my drinks. If I know they are smokers I'll ask them to only smoke behind the boat when stopped.

that's about it. I've got 2 little kids that get pretty messy and love to eat snacks, so I have to shop vac the boat every outing. Actually ended up installing the shop vac by the boat slip on the doc. Since no guest will ever be as messy as my own kids, I dont' even bother my guests about food or messes, or even helping clean at the end of the day, cause I'll have to do it regardless of guests coming or not. If they want to help I'm not stopping 'em though.

7. If I dont know you well or you have been drinking = life jacket while in the water. Yes even while floating and hanging out. Yes even grown men. Go find another boat to go drown off of.

Ditto that. Diaper style is best too. Better mobility for beer in one hand and chucking/catching the football in the other.

you mean coke? like as in, "I would like a coke.""what kind of coke would you like?""Sprite."

I'm a Pepsi man, lol.

3. Spray suncreens only off the swim platform taking into account the direction of the wind. To ignore this is akin to playing naked twister with a bottle of baby oil the rest of the day with the greasy seats.

My wife has this rule, 'cause she usually wipes down the interior.

4 No first time swim suits. I had one guys swim suit that was brand new bleed coloring all over the white seat :(

Good one... I guess the new swim suit has to sit on a towel at all times.

Keep the list going!

This made me laugh...When I was younger, like 14 or 15 my uncle bought a brand new American Skier. He had the normal rules like no shoes, but he was always a fanatic about telling everyone NO CHEETOS ON MY BOAT. It became a joke in our family and close friends to the point that anyone that knew about the rule would always bring an opened family sized bag just to get him fired up.

I have all of the same rules that most of you have...Thats why my parents '77 Starcraft looks as good as is does today.

That's Hilarious! :lol:

Edited by james11music
Oh yea if you come on my boat and expect NOT to get wet, you are in the wrong place splashing is authorized unless the food is out.

This goes along with our only big rule, "NO cell phones" You are going to get wet, and you may get thrown/pushed in, we like to have fun while out there and have ruined a few phones. Mines in the boat if you need one, and if it gets ruined from being wet its my fault and has insurance. If you really need yours, then it goes in the glove box, preferably off. Theres nothing worse then someone constantly checking a phone, it really takes away from the fun going on around them. Smoking only on the swim platform, Unfortunately my girlfriend smokes.

We don't really have rules, I am very anal about keeping the boat clean, and most people realize it after seeing how clean it is for its age, especially after my girlfriend teases me about it in front of them. They will usually ask about shoes or drinks and stuff like that. If you are wearing shoes, step on the throw cushion not the seat, we tease about messy snacks if someone has them, so they tend to be more careful after a little ribbing. Open drinks don't bother me, try to put empty's in a bag, I'm not a drinker so if anything the smell of picking up open bear cans at the end of the day is annoying to me. We do try to pay attention to new shorts and someone wearing alot of tanning oil, they sit on towels.

Biggest rule, be respectful and have fun, We love to see someone try something for the first time, and if it takes an hour trying to get you up, then that's what it takes.

I just tell my friends and other guests that their first time on or boat will decide whether they will be invited out on it again and to use their head. We haven't had any problems yet. Tho only rule ive had to make is to not touch our ropes when we're getting ready to ski, barefoot, and wakeboard. I always coil them the right way so they unwind nicely and whenever somebody touches them, a knot forms the majority of the time. The worst part is that my dad is the one that usually messes with our ropes!

1) No shoes,dip your feet. i have a bucket on the dock to dip in

2) no paws or claws

3) smoking only on the platform when we are stopped

4) bathing suits are optional after 7pm

you mean coke? like as in, "I would like a coke."

"what kind of coke would you like?"

"Sprite."

This ^^^^^^ :thumbup:

I was confused this whole thread what "pop" was. I think thats gonna be rule #1 on my rule sheet, no use of the term "pop". With #2 regarding Shoes, if you enter my boat with shoes, i get to throw them overboard.

I had a lady step right off the dock onto the gunnel and then the seat with street shoes on before I could catch her. I asked her if she let people walk on her fenders and seats in her fancy Lexus with shoes on. She replied, "Of course not"! I then asked why would you do that in our boat that costs more money than your car. She got the message...

I had 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film installed on top of the gunnels when this boat was new since it has colored gelcoat on top of the gunnels. It's still hard to see and has held up well going on 3 years. My installer set it up on his cad film cutter so it looks straight and all the edges/corners are the same.

This ^^^^^^ :thumbup: I was confused this whole thread what "pop" was. I think thats gonna be rule #1 on my rule sheet, no use of the term "pop". With #2 regarding Shoes, if you enter my boat with shoes, i get to throw them overboard.

I would struggle with rule #1. However, I like the option of throwing shoes overboard.

Am I the only person that refers to a carbonated soft drink as "Pop"? At least I don't say "Sodi Pop" any more. :unsure:

There are no written rules for our boat. We boat with friends, family, and fellow boaters so nothing needs to be said. Kids need some instruction and I'll remind people not to step on the seats, but I don't care what people do as long as they are safe and mindful of others in the boat and on/around the docks. If we boated with strangers (friends of friends) more often I could see coming up with rules.

EDIT: I have one rule can't be broken. No drinking and driving. If I don't think you're up to driving (after drinking) don't even try it. I'll fight ya :)

Edited by jetskipro550

1) No shoes,dip your feet. i have a bucket on the dock to dip in

2) no paws or claws

3) smoking only on the platform when we are stopped

4) bathing suits are optional after 7pm

4) bathing suits are optional after 7pm I like this ONEROFL.gif

I haven't heard the dipping of the feet...what is that about?

The no shoes policy is strictly enforced! Funny thing is that most of the rules other people just pick up on without you having to say anything.

Edited by srintx

I would struggle with rule #1. However, I like the option of throwing shoes overboard.

Am I the only person that refers to a carbonated soft drink as "Pop"? At least I don't say "Sodi Pop" any more. :unsure:

I call it pop... I've never called it Sodi Pop, however I have called it soda pop, but usually just Pop :biggrin:

As for rules, the no shoes things is standard on our boat. Also no ketchup chips or any other type of chip that leaves stains. I also hate it when people bring any type of berry on the boat since they tend to get squished into the carpet. But our friends know this so they usually eat them with a towel on their lap and so far, only one berry squished(and that was by my own daughter :mad: ) I also have the stand on the swimstep for suntan lotion spray rule. I tried to instill the "no fishing" rule. And it worked for a while, but then my wife, who loves to fish, put up a big stink. So we compromised and she promised to not hook the upholstery and to stand on the swimstep when hauling anything in. Then the fish go straight into a cooler. I had to explain to my wife why putting the fish on ice in the built in cooler was a bad idea.

I'm glad someone else thinks this way too!

As far as shoes go, a friends dad told me once "You can't walk on water, so you don't need shoes on my boat". I've used that saying ever since I heard it.

I love that. Ill have to start using it this summer

I like the 3M idea! On my 99 VLX I had the gunnel steps. What are other using to protect and use as steps for the gunnels?

I had a lady step right off the dock onto the gunnel and then the seat with street shoes on before I could catch her. I asked her if she let people walk on her fenders and seats in her fancy Lexus with shoes on. She replied, "Of course not"! I then asked why would you do that in our boat that costs more money than your car. She got the message...

I had 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film installed on top of the gunnels when this boat was new since it has colored gelcoat on top of the gunnels. It's still hard to see and has held up well going on 3 years. My installer set it up on his cad film cutter so it looks straight and all the edges/corners are the same.

I like the 3M idea! On my 99 VLX I had the gunnel steps. What are other using to protect and use as steps for the gunnels?

My protection is telling people not to step on the gunnels. Usually works for me.

2. I dont need your help while docking (ropes, push off the dock or anything) -- please stay seated.

This is an interesting one. I think it depends on the weather, driver skill level, and skill of person helping.

If it's windy, I'm driving and docking from downwind, and I have someone with experience...then I'll take their help. I'd probably ask them to grab a rope and hop out as I get up close.

I also find (learned) it's important to make newbies aware of pinch points. I'll never forget my last houseboat trip (bachelor party) where the man of honor stuck his hand between incoming ski supreme and side of houseboat. Day 1 of his party he lost a finger nail. Ripped it clean out from the root. Lots of blood. :shocked:

Edited by Scott N

I forgot I do have the no fishing on my boat - ever. Same rule on my old I/O too; I hate fish and fishing, don't own a fishing boat, and you will never fish on my boat - EVER.

As for ropes and holding the boat at the dock, I never saw the point. Going out to boat if the ramp isn't busy I'll have my guests hold the boat while I park and come back (takes about 60-90 seconds). Coming in, I just step off the boat onto the dock, and have whomever is driving troll around until I get my turn on the ramp. Nothing pisses me off more than people eating up ramp spots with their damn boat parked there. Unless you are boating alone there is no damn reason you need to leave your boat parked in the way of everyone else.

I forgot I do have the no fishing on my boat - ever. Same rule on my old I/O too; I hate fish and fishing, don't own a fishing boat, and you will never fish on my boat - EVER.

As for ropes and holding the boat at the dock, I never saw the point. Going out to boat if the ramp isn't busy I'll have my guests hold the boat while I park and come back (takes about 60-90 seconds). Coming in, I just step off the boat onto the dock, and have whomever is driving troll around until I get my turn on the ramp. Nothing pisses me off more than people eating up ramp spots with their damn boat parked there. Unless you are boating alone there is no damn reason you need to leave your boat parked in the way of everyone else.

NB so true! Teach yer old lady to back up the truck or trailer the boat for goodness sake ya boat ramp hogs!

Still figuring out how I can impose that boat rule on others.....

The whole pop, soda, coke thing is regional and even state to state. We had this long conversation the other day at work, so this is like deja vu, ha.

This is gonna be a great summer,

Steve B.

4) bathing suits are optional after 7pm I like this ONEROFL.gif

I haven't heard the dipping of the feet...what is that about?

The no shoes policy is strictly enforced! Funny thing is that most of the rules other people just pick up on without you having to say anything.

We do ask people to do this also, its to get the beach sand off your feet.

Funny thing - rules are an interesting topic on the boats - a divisive issue - a few years back I warned my nephew about snapping a towel at my son - told him not to do it - he did it again - right in his face, he was summarily tossed overboard - his mother was warned that if she opened her mouth, she too would be tossed... the kid couldn't quit apologizing when he surfaced and swam back- to this day- he's been the model of behavior... incidentally - that was the last time they elected to join us.... and we've enjoyed each and every outing without the family mooching... tight quarters deserve proper etiquette and respect.

As owners, we take passionate pride in caring for and maintaining our boats. for us - you break it you buy it - gear, boat, whatever - smoking on the swim platform only facing rear - one of our regulars has yet to kick the habit - and also-(I know I'll be chastised) no beer or spirits unless moored for the day/night... save it for the BBQ afterwards. our safety record has zero issues and about the worst event besides normal bumps and bruises caused from wakeboarding - a couple of ropes through the prop due to wind... at any rate - we try and set an example for the younger members of our crew and figured we would carry it to the boat as well. just my 02 cents...