Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How To Find The Source Of A Leak

New2Texas

The jack was the original (1996) but in any case, if something I own breaks while in your possession you should pay to fix or replace it.

to make matters worse, i water tested today and there is still water coming in from somewhere. I had a full boat today so couldn't trouble shoot it, I will investigate further tomorrow. I may end up going back and getting him to work on again under his warranty!

Edited by New2Texas

The jack was the original (1996) but in any case, if something I own breaks while in your possession you should pay to fix or replace it.

Only if the shop was negligent, and broke it...should they fix it. If the trailer brakes broke on the way out of the shop's driveway, would you want them to fix that, too?

Yea, I'd be upset if this happened while they had it... but the jack is 16 years old. Also... if the boat was spotless when they tested it, I'd be upset if they didn't wipe it back down.

Only if the shop was negligent, and broke it...should they fix it. If the trailer brakes broke on the way out of the shop's driveway, would you want them to fix that, too?

Yea, I'd be upset if this happened while they had it... but the jack is 16 years old. Also... if the boat was spotless when they tested it, I'd be upset if they didn't wipe it back down.

I agree, the jack breaking was probably just bad timing, but the boat was spotless when i dropped it off.

I'd be more worried about the fact that there are still leaks. Is it leaking less? Do you trust that the original work needed to be done? Did they actually do the work or just adjust the shaft packing nut?

As for the scum, I personally wouldn't worry about it. I don't want to pay them to wash my boat (that's why they are cheaper), and it didn't cause any damage you have to pay for, just your time. The jack could have been bad timing. Are there any signs that the jack was abused under their care?

I took the jack to Magnum trailers when I was purchasing the replacement hoping to find parts instead having to replace, but after looking at it the service guy there said it was only a matter of time before it failed.

Did I mention that when i took the boat to the Malibu dealer prior to any work being done, the service manager climbed under the boat and briefly inspected the tracking fins, wedge, rudder, swim platform attachments, and it was he thought it was the HDS (he said he was "97% sure")?

so now, I will be taking the boat back to the fiberglass workshop tomorrow and stating the following:

* when the work was completed he told me on 2 occasions the boat was "water tight", however water is still entering the boat.

* there is less water coming in now which indicates to me that the work completed had an impact on the original leak but failed to fix the problem.

* the service manager from the Malibu dealership (who use this fiberglass company for all repairs) was 97% sure the problem was the HDS.

<sigh> it is a comedy of errors that have me so frustrated with the situation. when you pay for work to be completed, you expect it is done correctly. In this case my boat still leaks, I am several hundred dollars out of pocket, i was forced to buy a new jack and I had to wash my boat without riding it first! WTF!

:crazy:

Edited by New2Texas

First, hope this is fixed quick and easy. Now, did you ever do a leak down test like was discussed?

When in the lake, did you watch the HDS to see if water was coming in?

First thing I'd do is fill bilge with some water and see if you can see it coming out.

Good luck,

Steve B.

First, hope this is fixed quick and easy. Now, did you ever do a leak down test like was discussed?

When in the lake, did you watch the HDS to see if water was coming in?

First thing I'd do is fill bilge with some water and see if you can see it coming out.

Good luck,

Steve B.

i will doing this tonight. thanks.

it is a comedy of errors that have me so frustrated with the situation. when you pay for work to be completed, you expect it is done correctly. In this case my boat still leaks, I am several hundred dollars out of pocket, i was forced to buy a new jack and I had to wash my boat without riding it first! WTF! :crazy:

I agree! Nothing ticks me off quicker than paying someone to fix a problem and it's still broke.

So if you park the boat & trailer on a dry, flat spot on a concrete driveway. Dry the boat & trailer good. Then fill the bilge with water with a garden hose. Does a wet spot develop anywhere on the driveway?

If it was a skeg, it would leak in this test.

Bow eye, would not leak.

The one time I've done this, my prop packing leaked doing this test.

!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: CONCLUSION :clap: :clap: :clap: !!!!!

I filled the bilge with water and waited... Nothing was happening so I filled it a little more.... and a little more.... little more..... but still no water escaping the boat anywhere! Feeling frustrated with no result, i decided to move the boat (with all the water still inside) to a decline, but no result. From there I moved to an incline and only then did I start to see a small amount of water leaking though the rear drain plug!

It would appear that no matter how tight the plug was, water continued to drip out! I would have never guessed this could have been the source. I will replace the o ring on the plug and failing that just use some plumber's tape and leave the plug in permanently.

So in conclusion, the water test in the boat on incline/decline is the most effective way to find a leak!!

Edited by New2Texas

Are you sure it is just the plug? While you are back there you may want to replace the whole assembly and put some new silicone around it.

the water was coming from the plug, not the mounting. But I will consider it if after I seal the plug if I continue to see water in the hull.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me work through this. I really value the contributions :rockon:

Edited by New2Texas

Wouldn't you want to be able to access that drain plug...mine is finger tight and does not leek and I pull it out after every time on the water.

:plus1: I out a new O ring on mine works great.