Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Wakesetter Vlx Opinions

Asmodeus2112

I'm not trying to sell my boat but, a VLX will have much more storage room than any DD. (and, better seating too)

I almost bought a SunKicker (a.k.a. wakesetter DD). Thank God I didn't. I pack so much stuff for any outing, you'd be amazed.

I'm not trying to sell my boat but, a VLX will have much more storage room than any DD. (and, better seating too)

I almost bought a SunKicker (a.k.a. wakesetter DD). Thank God I didn't. I pack so much stuff for any outing, you'd be amazed.

i agree with that. i love the extra storage on each side of the engine. with the soft ballast bags in there, it's great to pack in some gear and not worry about it flying away. it's amazing how much extra stuff we pack in the boat when going to the campsites.

Thanks, you helped me confirm that I need to hold out for a good VLX. Hard to compromise after seeing the pics and vids of Pete's though, none of the VLXs I've seen locally compare! I had a 2001 Sunkicker, and we really loved it. It got me hooked on Malibu, really hard to look at other brands. Moomba's are cheap, but, well they are cheap. Mastercraft are nice, but sort of odd IMHO. Correctcraft are the only other brand I may consider, but in the year/price range there isn't a CC V-drive. Test drove a Moomba and it handled like poop and didn't track straight. So, if I can find a 200/2001 SSVLX or WSVLX and it will be all the Sunkicker was but more, sounds like the way to go.

Thanks, you helped me confirm that I need to hold out for a good VLX. Hard to compromise after seeing the pics and vids of Pete's though, none of the VLXs I've seen locally compare! I had a 2001 Sunkicker, and we really loved it. It got me hooked on Malibu, really hard to look at other brands. Moomba's are cheap, but, well they are cheap. Mastercraft are nice, but sort of odd IMHO. Correctcraft are the only other brand I may consider, but in the year/price range there isn't a CC V-drive. Test drove a Moomba and it handled like poop and didn't track straight. So, if I can find a 200/2001 SSVLX or WSVLX and it will be all the Sunkicker was but more, sounds like the way to go.

Whats your budget and how far are you willing to travel?

Whats your budget and how far are you willing to travel?

I'm looking in the 12.5-17.5K range. I'm quite handy, so looking for a sound boat, but if it needs some TLC I'm good with that as long as it hasn't been abused or high hours. At this price range if I have to drive more than 4-5 hours it makes the travel a pretty high percentage of the cost that probably would be better spent on a higher priced local boat. Being in Austin that limits my range to Houston, San Antonio, DFW and all the towns around. Maybe south OK or east LA for the right boat... I'm seeing a few VLX's at the top of this range, and have one in my sights but there are still some variables that I'm holding off on it for.

I have two bothers and a nephew that live in Indianapolis, so I might start looking in IN. They would do the deal for me, and then I could pick it up on the way to WI this summer where we are going to spend a month on a lake...

Edited by Asmodeus2112

The only one I know of in the IN area that in that price range is here (http://southbend.craigslist.org/bod/2843376178.html). Our main home is actually in the South Bend area.

There aren't a ton of Malibus here locally. We bought our Malibu out of AZ and had it shipped across the country site unseen. We had it all checked out and had the marina that checked it out send us a bunch of pictures and give us a personal opinion on the boat.

The only one I know of in the IN area that in that price range is here (http://southbend.craigslist.org/bod/2843376178.html). Our main home is actually in the South Bend area.

There aren't a ton of Malibus here locally. We bought our Malibu out of AZ and had it shipped across the country site unseen. We had it all checked out and had the marina that checked it out send us a bunch of pictures and give us a personal opinion on the boat.

I bought my SSLX spring last year and it was a solid boat with about 300 hours, but not perfectly clean. I fixed the trailer brakes, new tires, bilge, blower cleaned, oiled, rewired etc. and sold it for a slight profit over what I had invested. (Minus consideration of my time, but I enjoy it...) We had a great summer with it, and I now wish we would have kept it, but we didn't know in the fall that we would have to opportunity to take another month long vacation on a lake. So, now I'm looking for a good boat that needs some attention, but not a new motor or tranny... I'm hoping this time I get to keep her for more than a season too... But, it's a little different than buying a boat that is going to be parked at the lake house for 7-10 years. Paying for transport pretty much blows the budget and as I can't amortize it over a longer time period. I'm patient, but don't want to wait too far into spring and run out of time to get the boat/trailer ready for the trip from TX to WI.

I bought my SSLX spring last year and it was a solid boat with about 300 hours, but not perfectly clean. I fixed the trailer brakes, new tires, bilge, blower cleaned, oiled, rewired etc. and sold it for a slight profit over what I had invested. (Minus consideration of my time, but I enjoy it...) We had a great summer with it, and I now wish we would have kept it, but we didn't know in the fall that we would have to opportunity to take another month long vacation on a lake. So, now I'm looking for a good boat that needs some attention, but not a new motor or tranny... I'm hoping this time I get to keep her for more than a season too... But, it's a little different than buying a boat that is going to be parked at the lake house for 7-10 years. Paying for transport pretty much blows the budget and as I can't amortize it over a longer time period. I'm patient, but don't want to wait too far into spring and run out of time to get the boat/trailer ready for the trip from TX to WI.

Understood. Finding a V-drive in that price range will be challenging, especially locally. Just a little FYI, I believe we paid $1,300 to have the boat shipped 2,000 miles top us.

I bet you are looking at some of the same boats I was considering around Houston. One thing I decided early on was that I would not consider any malibu without a wedge. This was a problem for me with some of those vlx's near houston. If you can find a wedge to add it's usually around a grand.

ended up with a 04 wakesetter from north Houston. a nice boat but twice as much as a good sunsetter.

I bet you are looking at some of the same boats I was considering around Houston. One thing I decided early on was that I would not consider any malibu without a wedge. This was a problem for me with some of those vlx's near houston. If you can find a wedge to add it's usually around a grand.

ended up with a 04 wakesetter from north Houston. a nice boat but twice as much as a good sunsetter.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. A lot of VLX's don't have them, so I was wondering if they were needed as much as with a DD.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. A lot of VLX's don't have them, so I was wondering if they were needed as much as with a DD.

I got a power wedge for ~$700, manual wedges can be had for a little less if you search around. I wouldn't let that stop him. :)

In 2000 and I believe 2001 the Wake Setter VLXs did not come with a wedge. It wasn't even an option.

I added my bent wedge after owning the boat for a few years. But, honestly, it doesn't make the wake board wake that much better. It might help with a surf wake but, I wouldn't know b/c I don't surf. What really makes the wake huge is bodies.

A wedge on a DD that would likely have a diamond hull makes a very noticeable difference in comparison.

In 2000 and I believe 2001 the Wake Setter VLXs did not come with a wedge. It wasn't even an option.

I added my bent wedge after owning the boat for a few years. But, honestly, it doesn't make the wake board wake that much better. It might help with a surf wake but, I wouldn't know b/c I don't surf. What really makes the wake huge is bodies.

A wedge on a DD that would likely have a diamond hull makes a very noticeable difference in comparison.

the floating wedge is supposed to be better for the diamond hulls, right?

What about this one? http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2775906670.html

^^^ I can't get a response from this one, maybe a scam but I haven't called only e-mailed. To be honest I like the 2000/2001 models, am not fond of green (or purple for that matter), and don't like the one piece engine cover. Oh, and the table is a negative as well... does have nice accessories though.

This the one you are referring too?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2860790979.html

:Doh: SHHHHH, now everyone knows! Yeah, that's the one. End of the day it's the best one in the region at the moment, but it has it's warts. Trailer Brakes, no wedge, purple, no bimini, only a cheap generic cover, some seats redone... hours are nice if that is indeed the true hours. There's one in Austin, but it is trashed, poor thing.

:Doh: SHHHHH, now everyone knows! Yeah, that's the one. End of the day it's the best one in the region at the moment, but it has it's warts. Trailer Brakes, no wedge, purple, no bimini, only a cheap generic cover, some seats redone... hours are nice if that is indeed the true hours. There's one in Austin, but it is trashed, poor thing.

I apologize. What about the white/green one in Conroe?

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

in 2000 only, they called purple boats 'vlk's very odd

Really?!? I just thought that was a typo! Learn something new every day. Owner seems like a nice guy, but not too confident he knows much about boats/Malibu. I think he knows cars/general mechanical stuff fairly well though.