Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quick drain block modification

Fman

Good choice. Martin couldn't have said it any better. Most of the time nothing is going to happen.....until you get that tankload of bad gas.....then all heck can break loose.

• 2 months later...

I have a newbee question, so please be kind:

I picked up my first Malibu just a few months ago and the seller explained that the only winterizing he has done for the last 12 years is unscrew the bolt on either side of the block to drain the water from the engine. The winter here in Texas has been mild and I have used the boat several times over the last few months, ensuring that if the temperature was expected to drop close to freezing I would remove the bolts and only re-insert them prior to hitting the water. Each time I have done this, the bolts have gone in/out very easy, however yesterday the bolt on the port side wouldn't screw in at first and took several attempts to attach it. I finally secured it but now I am worried I have de-threaded the hole.

I ran the boat for several hours yesterday at various RPM and kept one eye on the bolt, thankfully it held secure all day.

What should I do?

Edited by New2Texas

Were the threads just scaled over badly? You may need to clean out the threads.

In the end... If it doesn't dip below freezing often there, I would put in a bilge/engine heater (provided you have electricity at your boat storage) and not worry about draining it (if you're going to use it in the winter).

I remember seeing rubber plugs to replace your freeze plugs. That would be an easy quick way to drain the block.

Or like others said just drill and tap some other location on the block. Maybe veen make it a 1/2" hole so it drains and doesn't have scale clogging issues.

I remember seeing rubber plugs to replace your freeze plugs. That would be an easy quick way to drain the block.

Or like others said just drill and tap some other location on the block. Maybe veen make it a 1/2" hole so it drains and doesn't have scale clogging issues.

Wow, I have no idea where I would even think about adding drilling a hole in my block. Sounds dicey to me. To the prior newbie question , you may have cross-threaded, but if when you pull the plugs you leave them out then the treads could have gotten rusty and that was what was making it difficult to screw in last time. After you drain, put them back in with some high-temp thread sealer.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is old but it has a lot of good information in it and I'm actually looking for the same information. I understand for a lot of people it "only takes a few minutes" to get the plugs out and put them back in. For me who keeps big ballast bags in the back as well as other gear, it's a more involved process (not to mention other friends usually help and they aren't as careful removing the engine sidewalls as I'd prefer). I also ride early and late season every season without fail. I probably remove those things 3 times a week for about 3 months of the season, and honestly it adds up.

Has anyone actually come up with a certified solution for getting a real drain valve in the block? Sure would be nice if indmar could start tapping those by default? Winterizing my *89 sunsetter* was a dream. For some reason when I bought up and got a 2006 I was punished for it ;)

Try to refrain from suggesting I just spin them out like everyone else, looking for some people smarter than I to put on some thinking caps and actually try to come up with a valid solution.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Let me ask it this way I guess, has anyone drilled and tapped their own hole specifically for a dedicated drain valve? If so where did you tap? Port side looks like there is more room, starboard side has more "stuff" in the way but I think it could still be doable. I wonder if Paul has ever seen anyone that tapped their own drain holes...

• 2 weeks later...

So could he put his KS back and tap another hole to either side of the KS and run a valve straight out of the block?

Just when you thought cutting into the gelcoat makes you nervous ..........

Let me ask it this way I guess, has anyone drilled and tapped their own hole specifically for a dedicated drain valve? If so where did you tap? Port side looks like there is more room, starboard side has more "stuff" in the way but I think it could still be doable. I wonder if Paul has ever seen anyone that tapped their own drain holes...

Better save this task for the next time you rebuild the engine.