Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

LOL my wife and son really don't like the SC emily that I got them. They prefer the phase 5 prop they've been riding for the past 3 seasons. Go figure. I'm pretty sure they are just crazy?

I will say that from attending the polar bear last year, there were boards that I hated that others loved, and vice versa. At the custom level, they are basically like glass slippers.

I've ridden a bunch of IS boards (though not the SSP) and I've pretty much hated them all because they feel dead.

That seems pretty accurate Shawn.

With these custom boards, you either love em or hate em

You loved the Zulu didn't you Shawn?

LOL my wife and son really don't like the SC emily that I got them. They prefer the phase 5 prop they've been riding for the past 3 seasons. Go figure. I'm pretty sure they are just crazy?

I will say that from attending the polar bear last year, there were boards that I hated that others loved, and vice versa. At the custom level, they are basically like glass slippers.

I've ridden a bunch of IS boards (though not the SSP) and I've pretty much hated them all because they feel dead.

At the Polar Bear events according to the reviews the consensus is pretty much that the Soulcraft boards were a crowd favorite. When I was considering what to build it was between a TWP Bomb Pop, or SC Jetty Swallow. The TWP was another crowd favorite. In the past year we have seen lots of Custom Shapers make themselves known. Edited by Afun

Hey guys, I ride the carbon one skimmer at 4'4.

I personally love the board. Very quick down the line. Its very easy to thrash around on it! Doing a 360 almost comes naturally on the board.

Also the semi twin tip and the front fin make it very easy to ride backwards.

As far as doing an Ollie, I havent perfected it. But its alot easier for me to attempt one on this board.

That seems pretty accurate Shawn.

With these custom boards, you either love em or hate em

You loved the Zulu didn't you Shawn?

The zulu was my favorite brigade board. It's narrower than a lot of boards I rode that day and I think that makes it ride differently? I found it quicker edge to edge and easier to carve, but still stable. Aside from the SCs I rode (which were my glass slipper), I'd put the zulu at the top of my personal list. Even more than the other brigade pro models. <--- again, for my particular style of weaksauce surfing.

Anybody ridden the Brigade Radical or Bomber? Or the Victoria Agent? I'm a bigger guy (225 lbs) and I need a larger board.

It depends on what kind of riding you're looking to do. The Agent is one of the fastest and easiest boards to ride, but it's not designed for aggressive riders. It spins better than anything, but it's not going to do big airs. It's crazy how easy it is to ride. It's so fast that it's hard to fall out of the wake.

It depends on what kind of riding you're looking to do. The Agent is one of the fastest and easiest boards to ride, but it's not designed for aggressive riders. It spins better than anything, but it's not going to do big airs. It's crazy how easy it is to ride. It's so fast that it's hard to fall out of the wake.

Well, I'm on my first year surfing, and I currently ride a Hyperlite Broadcast that I find slow and not very responsive. Airs are not in my immediate future. I would like something faster. The price of the Agent is very reasonable too!

Well, I'm on my first year surfing, and I currently ride a Hyperlite Broadcast that I find slow and not very responsive. Airs are not in my immediate future. I would like something faster. The price of the Agent is very reasonable too!

based on all that, you will love the agent. It is very fast, but also super easy to ride. You can teach beginners on it but it will also get you into spins and shuvits.

WEAK SAUCE...I love it! I am starting to say it myself with a little spanish lingo. I hope to try out that Factor PCX tomorrow...hopefully Tims lends it to us. I wish their was a way to tag him like on Facebook, lol.

Brigade seems to make different boards for different weight classes...that .352 may fit me

In a couple weeks I will also get to try a Doomswell Nub or something like that...I will report back

Still kind of shocked on SC reviews!!!

WEAK SAUCE...I love it! I am starting to say it myself with a little spanish lingo. I hope to try out that Factor PCX tomorrow...hopefully Tims lends it to us. I wish their was a way to tag him like on Facebook, lol.

Brigade seems to make different boards for different weight classes...that .352 may fit me

In a couple weeks I will also get to try a Doomswell Nub or something like that...I will report back

I will send up my Victoria with Mike tomorrow. The more you ride it the more you will like it. And it matches my boat colors.

Don't do Facebook!!!!

Edited by Tims

And what the heck did you do to Mike? We used to make fun of you guys burning 12gph to putt around behind your boat. Now he has budgetgate on his boat and is getting a big prop and 1100 bags. :lol:

• Like 3

I will send up my Victoria with Mike tomorrow. The more you ride it the more you will like it. And it matches my boat colors.

Don't do Facebook!!!!

I hope to get my Soulcraft in your hands .....it has a big fat Malibu logo on it...but it's OK...were family!

And what the heck did you do to Mike? We used to make fun of you guys burning 12gph to putt around behind your boat. Now he has budgetgate on his boat and is getting a big prop and 1100 bags. :lol:

Haha, I got video of him having fun on three different boards. He had a smile from ear to ear...Were doing it again tomorrow. Wish you could come out.

FWIW, the podium at this year's wakesurf contests appears to be pretty well stacked with SC boards, and not just among the barely compensated pros, but also the amateur ranks (people who are spending their own hard earned $$$ to go compete). <--- take that FWIW... I'm personally on record comparing wakesurfing comps to midget dunk contests... but when people who compete choose what board to compete on, they appear to be choosing SC (and sure, I'm sure they're getting them on the cheap, but they could be getting other manufacturer's boards on the cheap as well).

• Like 2

Anyone ridden a mendonesia board?

Chris Wolter is my main Wakesurf riding buddy so I've had the pleasure of trying out a bunch of mendonesia boards.

Chris' boards are very high end models that are designed for his style of riding. He does amazing airs on them and has shuvs and bigspins on lock.

In my opinion, if you can't do airs then you are not ready for Chris' pro model. Recreational riders will generally not like the board. It's for advanced riders trying to take it to an elite level.

I feel like I'm a decent rider, but this board is still a lot to handle for me. I can do airs and 3s on it, but I don't have total control. It is still my favorite surf style board to ride though.

They do have other models that are designed for a various riding styles.

FWIW, the podium at this year's wakesurf contests appears to be pretty well stacked with SC boards, and not just among the barely compensated pros, but also the amateur ranks (people who are spending their own hard earned $$$ to go compete). <--- take that FWIW... I'm personally on record comparing wakesurfing comps to midget dunk contests... but when people who compete choose what board to compete on, they appear to be choosing SC (and sure, I'm sure they're getting them on the cheap, but they could be getting other manufacturer's boards on the cheap as well).

I can't comment on all their boards. Maybe some are better than others. I hear mixed things about the Da Honu as well

All I know is that the jetty fang I rode was horrible. And a few others seem to echo that sentiment. Doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad board. Just means I didn't like it. Have no idea about other models though.

Hey if the midget dunkers love it, then it must be the whoop!

While I haven't ridden "a lot" of boards I did ride a Brigade 352 a couple months ago. I believe it was 4'8" and I couldn't stand it. For a surf style board the back end of it seemed to want to slide out all the time and it was slow. I was riding it behind my A24.

How does that happen!! Message sent

He was mesmerized by the interior quality of the SC and left it on the gunwale. :rofl:

Make sure to get good video of you knuckleheads on the Victoria.

• Like 2

Victoria Skimboard PCX Factor 52 inch....let me tell you this is the smallest board that I have rode successfully. It sure is fast! More stable than the Danielo Diamond, but almost just as fast. I could pump it better than the Danielo. You still have to be on your toes with this one. I amazed how small it is. You could still ollie on it. More to come because I want to ride it more.

• Like 2

Victoria Skimboard PCX Factor 52 inch....let me tell you this is the smallest board that I have rode successfully. It sure is fast! More stable than the Danielo Diamond, but almost just as fast. I could pump it better than the Danielo. You still have to be on your toes with this one. I amazed how small it is. You could still ollie on it. More to come because I want to ride it more.

I'm stoked you liked it!

Wake Skimboards are definitely meant to be ridden with more weight on your toes. You get control and speed by having the rail in the wake. They aren't meant to be ridden flat. That's when they feel like a bar of soap.

On edge, a skim can feel very locked in