Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

My price range would like to be less than $500 but am open to raising if needed.

I asked the pro shop guy at Bake's about the mucus and he said he wouldn't go that route for a first board. Instead he recommended a Ronix Cortez or Thrasher. Said it would save some money too and spend more on the second board after used to surfing.

Two of my friends started surfing last year both learned on my mucus and was riding ropeless on the first day and both went home and bought them a mucus surprised Bakes said that. I buy from Bakes all the time but I disagree with them on this if your budget is $500 mucus is a great pick. I keep the board because of the wide weight range and it is so durable and so easy to ride and its super fast. When it was time to up grade I went with this.

http://www.triplexsurfandskim.com/products#!/~/product/id=3591173

Next It will be time for a skim board. Friend picked up the Victoria Factor PCX, So I guess I will have to get the Phase 5 Pro Carbon.

phase 5 and mucus are going to ride totally different. the mucus will be faster down the line and a little more stable, the phase 5 will be less prone to pearl. If you know how to hold an edge, I think that the phase 5 is probably the easier board to ride (aggressively?) but I don't discount BT's opinion that the mucus is easier to learn on. The thing about skims like the oogle is that they have one small fin in the back so you need to be able to weight the inside edge of the board to cut into the wave. Surf style boards like the mucus are a bit more forgiving in that regard because they are "locked in" with fins.

IMHO there is a human spaz factor that you need to look into the mirror and assess. Are you generally good at picking stuff up like this? Can you snowboard? skateboard? surf or skimboard? Or is it totally foreign?

I've been doing something standing sideways all my life (mostly skateboard and snowboard). My wife, not at all. It took her the better part of two seasons to figure out how to weight the inside edge, and during that time a surf style board was invaluable. She shreds now and can ride a skim no problem (and prefers it)... but had she started out on a skim it probably would've been very frustrating.

So will the mucus be good for larger people as well should some of my 250 poundish friends want to ride?

So skip the Cortez then at a cheap price?

Edited by SouthsideBoarder

Is the mucus durable? How does it it hold up compared to other boards durability wise? We will take care of it but don;t want it to break easy being our first board and all.

phase 5 and mucus are going to ride totally different. the mucus will be faster down the line and a little more stable, the phase 5 will be less prone to pearl. If you know how to hold an edge, I think that the phase 5 is probably the easier board to ride (aggressively?) but I don't discount BT's opinion that the mucus is easier to learn on. The thing about skims like the oogle is that they have one small fin in the back so you need to be able to weight the inside edge of the board to cut into the wave. Surf style boards like the mucus are a bit more forgiving in that regard because they are "locked in" with fins.

IMHO there is a human spaz factor that you need to look into the mirror and assess. Are you generally good at picking stuff up like this? Can you snowboard? skateboard? surf or skimboard? Or is it totally foreign?

I've been doing something standing sideways all my life (mostly skateboard and snowboard). My wife, not at all. It took her the better part of two seasons to figure out how to weight the inside edge, and during that time a surf style board was invaluable. She shreds now and can ride a skim no problem (and prefers it)... but had she started out on a skim it probably would've been very frustrating.

I wakeboard quite a bit but those who do not will be learning as well. Never surfed. I think that probably removes the Oogle from the list? Any other recommendations or is the Mucus probably our board because it will track better for all of us with more and larger fins.

Is the mucus durable? How does it it hold up compared to other boards durability wise? We will take care of it but don;t want it to break easy being our first board and all.

Very durable. I would its a 8 out on a 1 to 10.

A great all around board is the cwb tsunami. My 110 lb wife and I can both ride it. I am 215.

It is a great board easy to ride for a beginner and good enough for an advanced rider. Member -BS- rides it and can nail 3s like 90 percent of the time with it.

Very very durable, fits in a wakeboard rack. Generally not considered a high performance board but it hasn't slowed -BS- down. Its his board of choice. In fact his needs the traction replaced, his sandpaper feet have almost worn it off. :biggrin:

What do you think of the Triple X Slayer for a first/beginner board for us to get started out with?

Is it fairly durable, easy to learn on, grow with?

Also looking at the Inland Surfer Squirt and wonder how it compares.

I checked with Bake's and they are all out of the Mucus.

If so, where is the best place to get it?

I'll share my experience. I went skim over surf style. I had debated between LF Doum Skim, P5 Danielo Pro Carbon, and IS Keenan Skim. Price wise, they all varied significantly with the LF coming in a $350, P5 $600+, and IS $650+. I did my research, read plenty reviews, and decided that the P5 Daniel Pro Carbon was the best bet. Side story, I ended up ordering my skim from BoardCo and I went with the '12 P5 Danielo model to save some bones. '12 and '13 board and exactly the same, just different graphics. I found a %10 coupon, and ended up getting the cost down for cheaper than what was listed out of the door from BoardCo. Two days later, I get an e-mail stating the board was completely out of stock and their was a mis-communication on their website. In that same email, BoardCo stepped up and offered to bump me up to a '13 model free of charge. Great guys to deal with!

I've had the 51" (I weight 150lbs) P5 Danielo Pro Carbon for 10+ runs this year, and it's a great board. I've never had a true skim board prior, so I don't have anything to compare it to in its category. What I can say is that it is far different than the log of a board I rode prior (5'4" Broadcast). P5 Danielo is fast down the line, very responsive (initially squirrely), lightweight (carbon-fiber) and allows for an abundant amount of skill-growth. I can't see myself progressing out of the board, so it's only a matter of durability. Board bags are great to for storage. No buyers-remorse for the board and I look forward to several more rides behind the 'Bu this year. The pops now operates BobbyBright's former 07' VTX, which happens to have a pretty sweet set-up for surfing, so I am able to go ropeless.

Edited by MCObray

Looking at purchasing our first wake surf board. My family has grown up on the lake and my kids are river rats. However, we have never owned an inboard until now. So we need some toys to go with our new Malibu. Kids are really wanting to wake surf and I must admitt I would like to as well. Kids are 9, 13 & 15 and I weigh about 170. Is there a beginners board for all of us or are we going to have to buy two? What about the Ronix Wakesurf Board Marsh "Mellow" Thrasher 2013?

Shopping advice would be great. Memorial Day is coming soon!

Looking at purchasing our first wake surf board. My family has grown up on the lake and my kids are river rats. However, we have never owned an inboard until now. So we need some toys to go with our new Malibu. Kids are really wanting to wake surf and I must admitt I would like to as well. Kids are 9, 13 & 15 and I weigh about 170. Is there a beginners board for all of us or are we going to have to buy two? What about the Ronix Wakesurf Board Marsh "Mellow" Thrasher 2013?

Shopping advice would be great. Memorial Day is coming soon!

Hyperlite Broadcast is a good beginner board. All 4 of us used the 5' 4" version with great success and gave us a fond understanding of feet placement, toe/heelside, how to get up, tossing the rope, etc. Nothing but good things to say for it being a beginner board. Weights for us ranged from 120lbs-185lbs and worked for each one of us.

Edited by MCObray

I learned on a friends Hyperlite Broadcast, then bought a Walker Project Outlaw on the forum here. It's a surfstyle board - I think it's 4'10". I am 235# and can surf ropeless all day with just a driver in the boat. 03 VLX, wedge down, 750's in back, stock center floor, 400 in seat surfside, and maybe 300 in front surfside.

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/inventory.html

Quick question for all you surf pros:

Are advertised board lengths measured pre-molding/shaping (so it would be normal for the finished product to be shorter than listed), or are wakesurf boards like regular surfboards in that every one is a little unique?

I just bought an 07.5' (the pointy nose) Inland Surfer Yellow Loogie off of Craigslist, and it measures about 4'4" as opposed to the advertised 4'6". Normally I'd chalk that off as no big deal but, in this case, it's an important two inches {giggles}. I'm stretching out the weight limit of this board as is (max weight suggestion is 200...a couple of our crew, including me, are about 210), so if I got a shorter-than-normal-template Yellow Loogie, I may be in trouble! I know it's probably not the perfect board for me, but it was too good of a deal to pass up ($100 for an excellent condition Inland Surfer).

Quick question for all you surf pros:

Are advertised board lengths measured pre-molding/shaping (so it would be normal for the finished product to be shorter than listed), or are wakesurf boards like regular surfboards in that every one is a little unique?

I just bought an 07.5' (the pointy nose) Inland Surfer Yellow Loogie off of Craigslist, and it measures about 4'4" as opposed to the advertised 4'6". Normally I'd chalk that off as no big deal but, in this case, it's an important two inches {giggles}. I'm stretching out the weight limit of this board as is (max weight suggestion is 200...a couple of our crew, including me, are about 210), so if I got a shorter-than-normal-template Yellow Loogie, I may be in trouble! I know it's probably not the perfect board for me, but it was too good of a deal to pass up ($100 for an excellent condition Inland Surfer).

Try it out is the only thing to do. A lot will depend on the size of the wave your boat can make.

Try it out is the only thing to do. A lot will depend on the size of the wave your boat can make.

Oh definitely. That's the next step. Hopefully Saturday. For $100, it's well worth it even if a couple of us can't surf it well. I guess I was just curious if high-end wakesurf boards are individually hand-shaped or if it's more of an assembly-line, machined, repeatable process.

Also, would I be correct in saying that the 07.5' Yellow Loogie is identical to the 08' Green Loogie apart from the color? I read this on a forum but haven't been able to confirm.

Thanks guys!

Edited by aggie08

10lbs+/- won't make a huge difference. Shoot, I'm nearly double the recommended weight for a phase 5 scamp kids board (max 90 lbs) and I can ride it (though must pay VERY close attention to stay in the pocket and pump that sucka like a madman). The loogie I had (earlier model) was crazy fast down the line. Probably the fastest board down the line I've ever ridden. It just pearled like crazy which made it hard to ride.

10lbs+/- won't make a huge difference. Shoot, I'm nearly double the recommended weight for a phase 5 scamp kids board (max 90 lbs) and I can ride it (though must pay VERY close attention to stay in the pocket and pump that sucka like a madman). The loogie I had (earlier model) was crazy fast down the line. Probably the fastest board down the line I've ever ridden. It just pearled like crazy which made it hard to ride.

Thanks! Good to hear. I'm pretty excited to try it this weekend. We don't have the biggest wave (800 in back surfside, ~500 in ski locker, 6-7 people scattered about, no wedge), so speed sounds good. I'm hoping the upturned nose will take care of some of that pearling.

pearled? meaning it slid off the wave?---> needed bigger or more fins?

;) for the dude with the biggest wave, you don't speak surf too well Ryan.

"Perl / Pearl

This is a common term describing when a person buries the nose of their surfboard in the wave and goes "over the falls." It's often referred to by the actual surfer as "@#%%@#@!"

http://www.surfing-waves.com/surf_talk1.htm

"

thats burrying the nose in my speak! gotcha. I grew up surfing, never heard that term.

whats it called when the wave is so big and steep your board slides out from under you because you need bigger fins? going thru that now. Just added a 3.5" to the Swell and a 4" to the Mucus.

Went to a Ronix demo yesterday an got to try some different gear. The parks thruster was BadA$$. I've always had a hard time letting go of the rope. Tried several boards with surfgate, an had a hard time. Mendez had me try the 5'1" thruster and it was on. Just amazing. Really responsive, loose enough to spin. I know what I'm getting for Father's Day!