Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

Found an Inland Mucus locally for really cheap. What's the word on it?

If it is under $300 it is a really good introduction to surf style. Most boards below $500 even if they advertise as surf style dont really have a surfy feel to them.

they are compression molded (like most inland stuff). It's an OK board. For $350.... I'd look for a used/demo "real" surf style board for just a bit more. If it were like $175, it would be worth it... but at $350... personally I'd keep looking. But that's me.

Inland Surfer boards are not compression molded. Only the Tako is compression molded.

Everything else is built using a sandwich construction. The Mucus is built the same as the other boards but just doesnt have the wood veneers which stiffens up the board (wood-lock is what inland calls it)

I remember first riding inlands and thinking that they were the highest performing boards out there. Other brands have step it up a ton and now I barely hear about Inland. But Inland still sells way more boards because they sell to shops.

Make sure they put their back foot all the way back against the kick pad. Their stance is so far forward they are close to burying the nose. It should be plenty fast with their foot in the back. Ive had a 180lbs guy ride the Small Debut with no issues.

The first recovery at the end was awesome!

Edited by wakemitch

I just got rid of my Phase 5 Razz. Looking at IS Sweep Spot. There is no Sweet spot pro this year, just sweet spot and the ultra. Did the pro become the ultra or did the pro become the regular and the ultra is new?

Same shape. The Ultra is a full carbon model. The regular is Classic Construction. Again, appears to be the same shape.

Last year's Sweet Spot Pro does have carbon rails.

yeah, there's carbon on the sweet spot, down the middle and the edges, just a wrap though. It says 'classic construction' on it.

I picked it up, the local store had it for $579 and had 100% satisfaction return policy, even if we ride it. Hard to beat that policy from a local shop.

yeah, there's carbon on the sweet spot, down the middle and the edges, just a wrap though. It says 'classic construction' on it.

I picked it up, the local store had it for $579 and had 100% satisfaction return policy, even if we ride it. Hard to beat that policy from a local shop.

that price is a steal!

Make sure they put their back foot all the way back against the kick pad. Their stance is so far forward they are close to burying the nose. It should be plenty fast with their foot in the back. Ive had a 180lbs guy ride the Small Debut with no issues.

The first recovery at the end was awesome!

wakemitch, I need your input. after reading all the threads on this subject . My head is swimming and I am more confused and scared to buy a new board.

my wife and I am 5'4'' /150lb she is less . we both can surf without a rope for couple of years. we have surfgate boat and have been riding only on Doum 54" that was thrown in with the boat purchase

we are trying 360 but have not got it. I am looking to get a new board but confused on whether another skim style or surf style. no experience on surfstyle.

what is the major difference ? is this board good enough but we need to improve on our skills?? your recommendation would be appreciated

wakemitch, I need your input. after reading all the threads on this subject . My head is swimming and I am more confused and scared to buy a new board.

my wife and I am 5'4'' /150lb she is less . we both can surf without a rope for couple of years. we have surfgate boat and have been riding only on Doum 54" that was thrown in with the boat purchase

we are trying 360 but have not got it. I am looking to get a new board but confused on whether another skim style or surf style. no experience on surfstyle.

what is the major difference ? is this board good enough but we need to improve on our skills?? your recommendation would be appreciated

The Doum is very long for both of you, but the board shouldnt hold you back much (a 48-51" would be ideal). It's not a very quick board, so a higher end board would help you recover easier. But the shape of the Doum is actually pretty good and shouldnt make 360s harder. It's just heavy and take more effort to get going.

The Doum is very long for both of you, but the board shouldnt hold you back much (a 48-51" would be ideal). It's not a very quick board, so a higher end board would help you recover easier. But the shape of the Doum is actually pretty good and shouldnt make 360s harder. It's just heavy and take more effort to get going.

thank you for your insight and time . much appreciated

I just picked up a Liquid Force Fiver. The shop gave me 2.9 inch fins with it and when I got home I realized it possibly was supposed to come with the 4.5 inch. All the pictures I can find look like 4.5 inch. Can ayone clarify for me?

we just got back from powell and had plenty of time to mess with our wake. We also just bought slingshot 52' skim bender, WOW this thing is fun and around $399. I'm 38 and around 170LBS. Couldn't justify spending $700 on a skim/wakersurfer when its a second to us after skiing. Have a hyperlight landloock, old school and it still works great for surf style. Also have Connelly 5'6 and its too think not my liking. After adding the middle 2' fin to the sling shot it spins still really easy and I can cruise really easy behind our 13 VTX.

Highly recommend slingshot skim bender. Can't be beat for the price... Save $$ and it does the same thing as all the others.

To answer your 2 questions.....

The difference between a LF Doum and a traditional surf style is night and day. You're really going to need to ride one to experience the difference. If you haven't ridden a true surf-style board, the only way I could describe it to you is: the exact opposite of what you are currently riding.

Is the LF Doum good enough? Yeah. Absolutely. It's a great skim style board. Are there "higher performance" skim style boards out there? Sure, probably, maybe...... but we're talking about maybe 2 or 3 models IMO. The Doum is a pro-level board.....so to answer your question, no....it's not holding you back.

As far as spinning the Doum..... Personally, the Doum is the easiest board to spin I've ever ridden. If you're having trouble spinning 3 on it, it's a technique issue, not a board issue. I actually had trouble stopping at 360 or 720 when I needed to and was over rotating almost every spin I tried. I had to really back off how I initiated them and sometimes put a hand down to stop my spin when I needed to.

Anyway, hope this provides some more info on the board. And FWIW, I thought the Doum was really really light and easy to air out.......but I'm sure there are lighter boards out there