Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

I found a Phase 5 Razz for fairly cheap. What's the word on that board?

if the price is right should be a good board. We have a prop (2" shorter) and my small wife really likes it. For me at 170 it is pretty slow (lots of rocker) compared to my victoria factor. Because of the rocker and narrow nose they are great boards for teaching newbs, especially if you have the "big" fin.

It's used, but well priced. Shipping might kill me a bit. Or do I wait and pick up a Victoria Factor? It's tough to get some demos here in the North East.

Edited by saxton15

I found a Phase 5 Razz for fairly cheap. What's the word on that board?

A bit heavy skimmer. Not very floaty, and requires much work to stay with the wave. You have to be on your toes with this one.

the razz is the same shape as the XL Danielo Pro, just different material.

We just got it a week ago, take my review with a grain of salt as I am still trying to learn how to air off the wake, but I can say I haven't had an issue staying with the wave. It's not fast, not slow. good for my 190 lbs. My wifes factor is definitely more playful. I am wondering if a smaller fin than what came with the razz would be good. I've been trying to surface 180 on it and the back just grabs when I get 90 (sideways), probably just a skill thing. I am trying to 180 on it like I would a wakeboard, could be wrong.

Edited by augie09

I'm at the same skill level Augie.

There just isn't the opportunity to demo boards where we are, so I'm puzzled on what to pick up next. I just missed out on a shop clearing out some Factors for 200$.

both factor and razz are going to be hard boards to learn to get air on. Skims (and heavy boards like the Tsunami... which BS can undoubtedly get airborne) are harder to get off the lip than a true surf style. my skim "airs" are like 1" high.... and that's only after learning how to do it on a surf style board.

Edited by shawndoggy

everyone is different. I personally learned airs on a skimboard first and I find them easier on a skim than on a surf style. And I have taught more people how to get air on skimboards than surf style.

but then again, I am not very good on a surf style board.I dont ride them much.

If you ride a surf style more, you will probably be better at surf style. If you ride skim style more, you will probably be better at skim style. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. No one board style (surf or skim) is better at airs than the other

Edited by wakemitch

Mitch,

Went through the thread and never saw your perspective on the Byerly Hazard. I saw a reco on it, but would like to hear more of your thoughts on it; Would you mind providing them?

both factor and razz are going to be hard boards to learn to get air on. Skims (and heavy boards like the Tsunami... which BS can undoubtedly get airborne) are harder to get off the lip than a true surf style. my skim "airs" are like 1" high.... and that's only after learning how to do it on a surf style board.

oh, well 1" is how big my airs are now. I am like WTF, maybe I need more speed going up the wave, so I figured I'd try really focusing on building speed and then getting the ollie timing down perfectly. or maybe it's just white men can't jump. I am ready to practice this all day tomorrow! TGIF

I am just now getting some bigger airs. the difference for me was realizing I needed to pull my knees up higher. The board can only go as high as your feet. If you look at the pros the knees are always up in their chest....

Mitch,

Went through the thread and never saw your perspective on the Byerly Hazard. I saw a reco on it, but would like to hear more of your thoughts on it; Would you mind providing them?

I actually really liked the Hazard as an introduction to surf style. As a quad it rides like an inland surfer sweet spot, but a little slower. It was fun for airs and alley oops.

It didn't ride well with a single fin like a skim in my opinion. It's better rider as a surf style

Edited by wakemitch

I actually really liked the Hazard as an introduction to surf style. As a quad it rides like an inland surfer sweet spot, but a little slower. It was fun for airs and alley oops.

It didn't ride well with a single fin like a skim in my opinion. It's better rider as a surf style

Excellent . . . Thank you very much for your perspective.

I have been wanting to try the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot for several years now and I finally got my chance. I really like this board. I haven't ridden very many of the newer high end boards, so I can only compare it to some older boards that I or my friends have: This board was really playful for a surf style board (which is what I prefer). I have mainly ridden skim style for the last few years and this was an easy transition. It was much faster than both the Ronix Koal and Carbon Thruster, even though it was just a twin. I think with some practice, I should be able to spin it as well. It was very easy to manuever, but had great bouyancy and drive. I would love to compare it to a Walker, Flyboy or Soulcraft, but don't know anyone with one. If I can find a used Sweet spot, I will probably buy it. My quiver is aging rapidly and needs some new life.

• 3 weeks later...

Ronix Carbon Thruster: A couple of years ago I rode this board in a 5'0" with quad fins and I didn't like it. Although it seemed fairly fast down the line, it was waaaaaaay too locked in and boring. This past weekend I rode a 4'7" with just the twins, and it was AWESOME! So playful and so fast. I could really thrash this thing and I started spinning it.(didn't ride away, but close). Now I really want to ride the Sweet Spot again back to back with the Carbon to compare. When I rode the SSP, it was on a different boat with a smaller wake so tough to compare the 2, but I liked the SSP. The Carbon thruster was even more playful it seemed. Now I just have to get my buddy with the SSP to come down and ride behind my boat to give it a fair shot against the Carbon Thruster.

Edited by Brodie

Ronix Carbon Thruster: A couple of years ago I rode this board in a 5'0" with quad fins and I didn't like it. Although it seemed fairly fast down the line, it was waaaaaaay too locked in and boring. This past weekend I rode a 4'7" with just the twins, and it was AWESOME! So playful and so fast. I could really thrash this thing and I started spinning it.(didn't ride away, but close). Now I really want to ride the Sweet Spot again back to back with the Carbon to compare. When I rode the SSP, it was on a different boat with a smaller wake so tough to compare the 2, but I liked the SSP. The Carbon thruster was even more playful it seemed. Now I just have to get my buddy with the SSP to come down and ride behind my boat to give it a fair shot against the Carbon Thruster.

If you like the 4'6" Carbon Thruster, you should try the 4'5" Carbon Powertail (two fins). It's everything you like about the Thruster, only better.

Is ronix really calling a board with four fins a thruster? thruster by definition is three fins.

It can be ridden as a thruster, as it has the rear middle fin slot. I have ridden it as a quad (didn't like) and a twin (really liked). I am guessing I would not like it as a thruster.

Edited by Brodie

Just bought a phase 5 wire. My previous board was a fly boy, so I will compare it to that. Super fast board, even faster than the flyboy. Looser than the flyboy, easier to throw sideways. Has the edge grip of the flyboy, that I really like. Easier to spin. It feels a bit bigger than the flyboy, even at 4'5". Super poppy off the top, it is a stiff board. The blunt nose is hard to pearl, but when you do put it under, it sprays you in the face ?downsides, a full lb heavier than the flyboy. Also feels more buoyant. Great board so far, wanted a 4'6 fangtail, or a bluntnose soulcraft, but couldn't wait. I think you can downsize with a blunt nose. I am 5'6 and 155 for reference. Also one last thing, the traction pad has not much in the way of a arch bar, not sure if I like that.

Edited by surfdude

I got to ride with Chris Wolter of Zombie Surf today and got to try out the 4'7" Zombie Pro again. I tried it in the early spring and loved it, but I tried it again and it is definitely my favorite surf style board on the market. I rode one set with Futures Blackstix WCT and then a set with Blackstix3 F4 fins and the F4s were WAAAY better. (Both set ups used Von Sol nubsters in the rear) The board was so crisp and snappy. Perfect amount of hold and a snappy release of the top of the wake. There was no slop.

The Zombie Hybrid is more forgiving and easier to ride, but the Pro Model is so freaking good. I'm still stoked off the ride today. If you do airs, check out the board when you are looking for a new one.

Photo%20Aug%2005%206%2028%2058%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2005%206%2028%2018%20PM.jpg

• Like 3

One more weekend on the p5 wire. Still one of the fastest boards I've Been on friggin amazing. hit the brakes, or your gonna smack the boat! Still it does not have the mauevering ability of the flyboy, more buoyant, but not as turny, yet still looser? Hard to explain. still a great board.

Found an Inland Mucus locally for really cheap. What's the word on it?

For really cheap it's an OK board. It's a bit heavy and not very fast and we found that it tended to pearl a bit too. But that was all riding a less than ideal wave too.