Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

Well, the proshop did not have the Tsunami so I pulled the trigger on the powertail. Should I start with the fins in the forward position or the back position. How does that affect the way the board rides? Thanks.

I haven't ridden my power tail yet, but what are you talking about forward and backward position? Does each fin slot have two positions?

It is a three fin set up, but each fin "box" (not a true fin box) has three screw holes. You can set the fins up on the two back screw holes or the two front screw holes. I.E. The middle screw hole will always be in use, either as the front of the fin, or the back of it. So that is why I ask what the difference would be with having them a couple inches forward versus having them a couple inches back. Hope that makes sense since I can't really put a picture up yet.

Further back, the fins will hold longer through turns. When the fins are more forward they will release quicker and not hold as well through turns.

• Like 2

I rode a thruster for a bit but found the board to be much too locked in. You'll really have to put a lot of effort into the bigger turns. Picture slow swoopy turns. The board will be much more stabil and easy to ride. Ride it as a twin and it will likely be harder to ride but much looser allowing for quick snappy turns.

Personally I don't like thrusters.

Just my limited experience. My natural progression started me on a thruster but within 5ish rides that way I went to a twin and never looked back.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • 3 weeks later...

so I picked up an elusive tsunami for a boat board. Having ridden it this weekend, a couple of conclusions: First, it's easy to ride and fast and carves pretty well. Second, the fact that BS can air that board out says a lot more about his skills than the board. Make no mistake, this is a heavy, longish production board. I will be riding it some more this season, but I don't think it's something I'd give up riding the soulcraft or the victoria for.

That said, I'm very hopeful that this is finally the board that we can use to get newbs up and surfing ropeless.

• Like 3

so I picked up an elusive tsunami for a boat board. Having ridden it this weekend, a couple of conclusions: First, it's easy to ride and fast and carves pretty well. Second, the fact that BS can air that board out says a lot more about his skills than the board. Make no mistake, this is a heavy, longish production board. I will be riding it some more this season, but I don't think it's something I'd give up riding the soulcraft or the victoria for.

That said, I'm very hopeful that this is finally the board that we can use to get newbs up and surfing ropeless.

Sweet! I and purchasing a tsunami tomorrow for $180...good deal? Looks like last years model. I plan to use this as a boat board

• Like 2

"Leg strength? What's that you say?? I thought all you surfers do is stand back there, listening to tunes while you swill another beer. Don't tell me you actually get tired doing this..."

--- Slalom Snob

You guys ever notice that the worse you are at surfing, the less work it really is? Thats the irony of the whole thing. I have finished sets utterly blown up.

I think its hilarious when other disciplines try to call out wakesurfers for this. I could get on my bike right now and ride a 100 miles and yet a couple of sets in a day works me over good.

• Like 3

It is a three fin set up, but each fin "box" (not a true fin box) has three screw holes. You can set the fins up on the two back screw holes or the two front screw holes. I.E. The middle screw hole will always be in use, either as the front of the fin, or the back of it. So that is why I ask what the difference would be with having them a couple inches forward versus having them a couple inches back. Hope that makes sense since I can't really put a picture up yet.

well, we went out and rode the power tail last weekend. Turns out the mounting positions was a mute point because 2 screws were broken, so our outside fins are both mounted forward and the inside fins are mounted backward, only option for us.

I am a beginner at surfing ,but the koal power tail seems to be perfect for me. My beginner board won't stay in the pocket, and I rode a P5 board and it was way too fast for my skill level. i believe I'll out grow the power tail in a few months, but it was easier to keep in the pocket for me.

well, we went out and rode the power tail last weekend. Turns out the mounting positions was a mute point because 2 screws were broken, so our outside fins are both mounted forward and the inside fins are mounted backward, only option for us.

I am a beginner at surfing ,but the koal power tail seems to be perfect for me. My beginner board won't stay in the pocket, and I rode a P5 board and it was way too fast for my skill level. i believe I'll out grow the power tail in a few months, but it was easier to keep in the pocket for me.

Did you take it back?

Further back, the fins will hold longer through turns. When the fins are more forward they will release quicker and not hold as well through turns.

Mitch,

How do you like the Brigade Zulu? This is a board that has caught my eye recently.

Have you rode any of the Brigade boards?

im pretty sure I did years back, but I haven't tried anything recently. No one I ride with has had one

I can't believe I stumped Wakemitch!

I've been reading board reviews from last year's Southern Surfest... so hard to determine by numerical scores and a few short comments.

However, I did notice the IS SPP, a board I love, got rave reviews.

I haven't worked at a shop in two years, so it's not as easy to try boards out. I did all the buying so I would get companies to send me boards to try so I could see if I wanted to sell them or not.

I still live trying everything I can, but now it just depends if I know someone who has one.

• Like 2

Not just that... he's great at explaining it in a way that isn't too vanilla, but still easy to understand envision what he's saying. Luv reading his reviews.

We ought to have our own TMC Surf Fest. Can you imagine how epic that would be with this crew all in one place?

Edited by IXFE

I appreciate your guys' kind words.

It's super fun trying every board I can. And being a nerd, it's hard not to break it down and over analyze.

Also, so many people see wakesurfing as lame where you can't do anything more than cruise. By helping get people on the best board for them, they can progress more and find out what wakesurfing is all about.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

well, my noob report after 5 days of riding.

day 1: hated my CWB ride, couldn't go ropeless, behind a 08 vride.

day 2: now behind our 23 LSV, rode the ronix power tail, could go ropeless, figuring out importance of feet position in relation to rider fatigue.

day 3: tried phase5 colt (Friends board), way to fast for my skill level. it would speed up to the back of the boat, and any attempt to brake would submerge it. need more skill to ride it. Getting very comfortable with the ronix power tail. ride for minutes ropeless. Cant' figure out how to pump to recover from far back though.

day 4: tried phase 5 colt again and finally got it figured out. Was a fun ride, I am obviously still learning, but I think I started to feel how to pump to recover.

day 5: tried victoria factor (Medium, wifes board). ear to ear grin riding this from the first second. Very fun, easy to make the back end slip out, will try 180 next time. road the power tail again, still feel the most comfortable on this one and can recover from further back than the other 2 boards. probably because of it's size and floatation. Trying to figure out how to get air, but I can't generate enough speed yet to have good momentum at the top of the wave. Does speed carry you out of the water at the top of the wave or do you ollie up. I need to research this.

I am definitely enjoying wake surfing more than I thought. It's nice to do something (as a beginner) that progress can be made quickly vs working on the same wakeboard trick for several several days.

As my only board is the power tail, thinking of a late july upgrade to a similar board, but much faster. I want to upgrade to a board that will allow me to use as much of the wave as possible without pumping. What have people found to be the best/easiest from recovering from far back?

^^^ agree with a lot of that.

"higher performance" doesn't equal "faster without pumping," unless you'd consider a toyota avalon to be "higher performance" than a miata.

That said I'm sure if you wanted to spend the $$$ on a really nice cruiser you could get one made custom.

Have you watched this video? It is from 2012 but pretty good for starting out:

I'm confused by this..... That's like saying "I want a bike that I don't have to pedal". I'm not saying this to be disagreeable. I know you're just starting out.

after watching that video, it seems I already pump effortlessly and was using the term wrong. I've seen video of someone almost in the flats beyond the curl, doing what looks like 1" ollies to catch back up to the wave. They aren't going up the wave face at all. Wish I could find that video, but anyway that is what I was calling pumping, incorrectly according to that video above.

@BS your comment about escaping the curl is exactly where I am at. My power tail can get me out of the curl way back if I just ride the rail hard and lean way forward, sometimes. There was no hope on the factor, which I am 25lbs over the suggested limit on. If I am anywhere within 3 board lengths of the swim platform, generating speed and going up and down the wave is no issue, it's just when I am half way in the curl where I need to get better at escaping. Is this s common problem that more riding will resolve?

edit: did a little research, looks like if I get into the 'mush' or curl to much, I need to move my back foot way forward and hope to recover to a point that pumping is possible again. anway, I'll stop going off topic and put future surf skill questions in another thread with a video maybe, since my vocabulary is wrong.

Edited by augie09

augie it's partly like that old joke about the guy who goes to the doctor and says it hurts when I bend over like this, what should I do? Doc says "don't bend over like that."

every board is a little different and some will allow you to get back in from way back and others you have to be more careful. Simple as that. If you are beyond the end of the face of the wave in the wash, 99/100 you are hosed.

I sold my 4'11 powertail about a month ago after a full season, for me... top end of the weight limit for the board i felt it was slow and couldn't recover well.

in the few boards i have tried since i have learned this

1. still need to work on my pumping technique

2. i have found i like riding a skim style board more than surf. i prefer the ease of cutting it loose as it carves.

3. i need to work on my pumping technique

4. its more often the Pilot not the plane that crashes

Looking forward to trying out the Ronix Carbon Skim next week, also the New Carbon thruster