Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

I've only ridden a phase 5 danielo pro. I want to get more of a surf style board to experience what that is all about. I'm 6'2" and 180. Thinking either a IS flyboy or a phase 5 aku. Suggestions?

It's my personal board, we are sold out of them but have more on order. I am headed to the lake for a week. you can try it when I get back. Just can't keep it for over a month like last time :)

I'm first because I returned my demo board the same week end I borrowed it hehe!

Why don't we just set up a day to surf anyway? You know put it on the calendar. I'll volunteer my boat. That way Skurfer won't have to give up his personal board.

^^^^ Will you have beer...because when I drink, I get awesome! No Joke, I immediately thought about getting a plane ticket.

Without question. Beer is well known in our corner of the world!

Bummer... this is a bad weekend for me. I have extended family in town until Monday. I would love to surf Ruff's boat, though. Been jonesing to try the 226 also. Heck, i'd volunteer my boat if I thought anybody wanted to surf it.

I've been wanting to set up an evening like I attempted last year, hopefully with better attendance (Ruff, BS, Bobby, Skurfer, pkh, MCObray, Vince, and some others we all know that don't post here).

If Afun comes, I might ditch the family. They'd understand when I tell them I need to go meet "the legend."

• Like 2

Sounds like it won't work for Bobby, BS, IXFE and others. Maybe we shoot for later in August? More time for Afun to buy a cheap....er ticket Surfin' the 23 would be awesome too!

Edited by skurfer

The problem with that is that the boutique guys are changing their board designs very quickly. A year old soulcraft jetty is no longer cutting edge for instance. It would suck to invest $5-10k on a demo fleet that's outdated after a season (or less).

This is very true.

As a lot of you guys know, I managed the pro shop for California Marine Sports for around 5 years. I got them started in high end wakesurfing and was able to grow it and carry a lot of the small brands. In 2010 we started a demo program and grew it each year. In 2012 we had $15k (wholesale) in demo boards. It was a crazy amount to invest in just demos. We had a strict demo policy to protect our boards and we put the price of the demo towards a future purchase. We would keep the boards until the shape was obsolete, and then we would sell it off.

This issues that came with the demo program were that most people wanted to rent, not demo. And that would cut into sales because they never end up buying a board. Damaged boards were an issue too. Since the customer is always right when it comes to issues we definitely took some hits that way. Demos also complicated the purchase process for many customers.

And then in 2012, with our 15k in demo fleet, we sold more wakesurf boards then we ever had. BUT we only had 4 demos all year. 15k in demos for 4 demos. It stopped making sense at that point because people were still buying boards but no one was demoing. It is too much risk to have that much money so you have a demo of each board and then most of them are still brand new at the end of the year. Note: 2010 and 2011 were very successful years for the demo program.

But honestly the biggest issue with why shops arent carrying the wakesurf brands is that the brands are not very dealer oriented. The margins are horrible. You can sell a broadcast and make as money as selling a soulcraft/walker project/mendo, and the broadcast can sell all day where as the soulcraft/ect has to be the correct size, correct color, correct tail, and for that rider that is willing to spend over twice as much. The incentive isnt really there for dealers. Also, a lot of the brands prefer to sell straight to the riders, but this does slow it down for the riders because they do not have inventory ready to sell, there will never be sales, and you have to find another owner to see one in person. There are a few brands that are much more dealer friendly though.

Even though I have moved on and dont work for a shop any longer, I still want to see more wakesurf brands in stores. I truly believe that better boards help riders progress. Obviously a board too advanced can hold riders back, but a lot of boards in shops are not worth the money. You are better off spending your money on a better board the first time rather than wasting it on a log. But a lot of people will buy that $300 board that lasts one month's worth of progression because that is all they are aware of.

Like I have said many times, ask your local shop to order your custom board for you. You will pay the same price, get it in the same amount of time, and hopefully encourage that shop to become a stocking dealer in the future which will help your local scene. While I think demos are a long shot, at least being able to see boards is a huge step in the right direction.

• Like 3

skurfer, after being able to try them all I always choose the Victoria Skimboards Factor PCX. I have reviewed it and the other boards I have ridden in this thread. Each year Victoria has tweaked it just a little but and it keeps getting better and better. I'm so stoked on my board.

Very excited for the weekend. I have 4 boards to demo!

Ronix The Duke

Byerly Hazard

Hyperlite Shim

Hoist - Handshaped surf style

I will report back after the weekend!

Very excited for the weekend. I have 4 boards to demo!

Ronix The Duke

Byerly Hazard

Hyperlite Shim

Hoist - Handshaped surf style

I will report back after the weekend!

I rode the huntington by Ronix which was similar to the duke. It was fun... for a little bit, but then got kinda boring. Also, our beginners were having a hard time getting up on it. It was so buoyant that they were having a hard time getting it under them when getting up (pressing down with their heels was hard). Maybe that's not as bad on the duke.

This is very true.

As a lot of you guys know, I managed the pro shop for California Marine Sports for around 5 years. I got them started in high end wakesurfing and was able to grow it and carry a lot of the small brands. In 2010 we started a demo program and grew it each year. In 2012 we had $15k (wholesale) in demo boards. It was a crazy amount to invest in just demos. We had a strict demo policy to protect our boards and we put the price of the demo towards a future purchase. We would keep the boards until the shape was obsolete, and then we would sell it off.

This issues that came with the demo program were that most people wanted to rent, not demo. And that would cut into sales because they never end up buying a board. Damaged boards were an issue too. Since the customer is always right when it comes to issues we definitely took some hits that way. Demos also complicated the purchase process for many customers.

And then in 2012, with our 15k in demo fleet, we sold more wakesurf boards then we ever had. BUT we only had 4 demos all year. 15k in demos for 4 demos. It stopped making sense at that point because people were still buying boards but no one was demoing. It is too much risk to have that much money so you have a demo of each board and then most of them are still brand new at the end of the year. Note: 2010 and 2011 were very successful years for the demo program.

But honestly the biggest issue with why shops arent carrying the wakesurf brands is that the brands are not very dealer oriented. The margins are horrible. You can sell a broadcast and make as money as selling a soulcraft/walker project/mendo, and the broadcast can sell all day where as the soulcraft/ect has to be the correct size, correct color, correct tail, and for that rider that is willing to spend over twice as much. The incentive isnt really there for dealers. Also, a lot of the brands prefer to sell straight to the riders, but this does slow it down for the riders because they do not have inventory ready to sell, there will never be sales, and you have to find another owner to see one in person. There are a few brands that are much more dealer friendly though.

Even though I have moved on and dont work for a shop any longer, I still want to see more wakesurf brands in stores. I truly believe that better boards help riders progress. Obviously a board too advanced can hold riders back, but a lot of boards in shops are not worth the money. You are better off spending your money on a better board the first time rather than wasting it on a log. But a lot of people will buy that $300 board that lasts one month's worth of progression because that is all they are aware of.

Like I have said many times, ask your local shop to order your custom board for you. You will pay the same price, get it in the same amount of time, and hopefully encourage that shop to become a stocking dealer in the future which will help your local scene. While I think demos are a long shot, at least being able to see boards is a huge step in the right direction.

I've been whining about not having any demos for some time..... But at the same time I knew the reasoning was there was too much risk for the shop owners. Thanks for explaining this.

Sounds like it won't work for Bobby, BS, IXFE and others. Maybe we shoot for later in August? More time for Afun to buy a cheap....er ticket Surfin' the 23 would be awesome too!

If we surf IXFE's boat....I am going to bring my bow bag. I know he refuses to put weight in the front.

Damn! I was stoked for this.

I will tell ya though we (BS and Friends) will be camped on Lady Island Friday- Sunday morning. Thats 5 min from Chinook Landing. You'd be welcom to join!

If we surf IXFE's boat....I am going to bring my bow bag. I know he refuses to put weight in the front.

Leave your bow bag and your dime bag at home, my friend. You obviously have me confused with someone else. I've been running close to 1000 in my bow all season... chili free!

Hi guys,

Got a few rides on the Ronix Parks Thruster Illuminati board and time to jot down some thoughts.

1. 2 friends who have never been able to get up on the ol wakeboard, got up first time in deep water after watching me. That counts for something in my book.

2. Overall speed and brakes are nice. No trouble there.

3. 5'1 board, and hard cuts are a bit of an issue. It isnt the most stable unless going completely straight.

4. Top grip and pad feels great.

5. Pretty thick = wont fit in common wakeboard racks

6. Extremely light weight.

I don't have a ton of experience wake surfing, but plenty of time behind every other board.