Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

1 hour ago, DAI said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh?  I ask because I have a 53" P5 Swell and I'm currently right at the max weight of 185 (dry).  I'm having a hard time riding it this season compared with my larger Byerly Hazard and I'm guessing it's my need to drop 10-15 lbs.  

20200715_190012.jpg

I’m about 185 also, right up against the limit of my 53 Matrix. But I’ve always preferred a slightly small board. By that I mean being right up agains the upper limit of a board’s spec. 

Before this is rode a 54” Soulcraft. Before that it was a 53” Ronix Carbon Powertail. So this is just the size I like. 

Moving up to a 56” Matrix sounds like too big a jump. 

Edited by IXFE
3 hours ago, DAI said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh?  I ask because I have a 53" P5 Swell and I'm currently right at the max weight of 185 (dry).  I'm having a hard time riding it this season compared with my larger Byerly Hazard and I'm guessing it's my need to drop 10-15 lbs.  

20200715_190012.jpg

I ride this board, and weigh about 160. I have a buddy that can ride it that’s about 250. The sweet spot that you can ride in the pocket shrinks so much, when the rider weight goes up, that the board is no longer fun. It’s a great board, get the next up length. I’ve always wanted a soulcraft, but I want to demo first. Had several custom boards that I didn’t like. Phase five makes great durable light weight boards. The sad thing is, some of my young buddies  surf cheap boards like a rock star! Time behind the boat is everything.

Edited by surfdude
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

I’m about 185 also, right up against the limit of my 53 Matrix. But I’ve always preferred a slightly small board. By that I mean being right up agains the upper limit of a board’s spec. 

Before this is rode a 54” Soulcraft. Before that it was a 53” Ronix Carbon Powertail. So this is just the size I like. 

Moving up to a 56” Matrix sounds like too big a jump. 

Why did you switch from the soul craft?

Edited by surfdude
Just now, surfdude said:

Why did you switch from the soul raft?

I was getting bored of it. Ride or for three seasons and needed a new challenge. I’d been hearing a few different guys raving about the Matrix. So I finally just ordered one without a demo. Figured how could so many guys be wrong?  It HAS to be good!  They were right. It’s that good. I haven’t been off it since. A few token rides in the SC is all. But the Matrix is going strong two seasons in a row.  At first the family was intimidated by it. Now they have all converted. So the entire family is basically riding one board now. I'm trying to get a 48 for my daughter as the 53 is a bit much free her.

I also have a 53” Phase Five Diamond, but I may sell that one here soon. It’s been abandoned along with the SC. 

06212D81-E382-425E-AF3D-704C06D769BA.gif

Connelly rep came into town not too long ago with his 24MXZ. The Ono is a really fun board, nothing else like it. Also, the Big Easy is the first true longboard I have been on. So fun to walk the board, got close to hanging ten.

Can't beat the Bentley for the $$ and the Voodoo is really fast.

9 hours ago, surfdude said:

I ride this board, and weigh about 160. I have a buddy that can ride it that’s about 250. The sweet spot that you can ride in the pocket shrinks so much, when the rider weight goes up, that the board is no longer fun. It’s a great board, get the next up length. I’ve always wanted a soulcraft, but I want to demo first. Had several custom boards that I didn’t like. Phase five makes great durable light weight boards. The sad thing is, some of my young buddies  surf cheap boards like a rock star! Time behind the boat is everything.

I’ve got it for sale on FB right now.  But I’m getting back into the grove of working out on a regular basis.  I’m going with let’s see what comes first - sale and buy the bigger size or keep and get my weight back down to the 170 - 175 range.  

22 hours ago, IXFE said:

I was getting bored of it. Ride or for three seasons and needed a new challenge. I’d been hearing a few different guys raving about the Matrix. So I finally just ordered one without a demo. Figured how could so many guys be wrong?  It HAS to be good!  They were right. It’s that good. I haven’t been off it since. A few token rides in the SC is all. But the Matrix is going strong two seasons in a row.  At first the family was intimidated by it. Now they have all converted. So the entire family is basically riding one board now. I'm trying to get a 48 for my daughter as the 53 is a bit much free her.

I also have a 53” Phase Five Diamond, but I may sell that one here soon. It’s been abandoned along with the SC. 

I have a 54” Daniello diamond. How does the matrix compare ride wise?

Been thinking about mixing it up. 

4 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

I have a 54” Daniello diamond. How does the matrix compare ride wise?

Been thinking about mixing it up. 

That's the same size as my Diamond.  The Diamond is alot more "locked in" than the Matrix.  It's the most "locked in" skim I've ever ridden.  Honestly, that's why I bought it.  After I bought the Matrix in early 2019, I was on a trip with some buddies, and one of them had a Diamond.  I remember thinking "they look almost identical... how different can this be?"  I rode it a bunch that week and liked it alot.  It seemed just as fun to me, but also different enough to justify buying one... almost like a kinder, gentler skim.  I figured the rest of the family would like it (at the time I was trying to get them off the Ronix Carbon Powertail) and the Diamond seemed like just ticket to ease them into the fun I was having on the Matrix.  I also enjoyed it enough myself and figured it would be fun to mix it into my own rotation from time to time.  

Reasons the Diamond is more "locked in" include the fact that it has three fins (albeit very shallow) instead of one on the Matrix.  Sure, you can take two of them off, but I haven't bothered.  If I want one fin, I just rid the Matrix!  But fins are not the only difference... the tail of Diamond is more squared off giving it a bit more of a surf style feel, as weird as that is to say about a skim.  By that I mean it gains speed easier through pumping... there's just a lot more surface area in the tail.  Also, with the three fins and squared off tail, the back is A LOT less prone to sliding out as you come down the wave.  All that sounds great, but here's the part nobody in the family likes and why they've all migrated to the Matrix this season.. the Diamond pearls soooo easily.  I asked the Phase 5 rep about that he said it has less rocker than the Matrix.  This to me is the fatal flaw of the Diamond... an advanced surfer is going to prefer the Matrix.  And the pearling kinda negates the more user friend tail for the intermediate or beginner surfer.  

The Matrix on the other hand is ALL about riding the edges.  When you first ride it... the lack of tail and deep fins will expose flaws in your fundamentals. You will absolutely fall face first into the wave face several times while you figure it out.  You'll feel like Bambi on ice!  But that's why I love it.  It's such a challenge and it makes you a more fundamental surfer.  Edge, edge, edge.  Every time I slide out coming down the wave, it's a reminder... get on edge!!   After a few sets you'll start to get the hang of it.  Once you do you'll realize it's just a BLAST... so light, so toss-able, so easy to spin.  I've never rode a board before that feels like it's an extension of your legs... until the Matrix.  

I have zero hesitation recommending the Matrix over the Diamond.  It's just a better, more modern shape.  If you can find one, get one.  But that's a big IF these days.  They are sold out just about everywhere.

Darn it!!! I wasn't even in the market for yet another board but we are very surf-style heavy in our fleet with only a very old beat up Black Pearl and then my wifes hybrid Ronix Carbon Sprocket,,, and after this thread I think I am going to end up spending money on a Matrix because it just sounds so fun to try out.  

On 8/2/2020 at 10:42 PM, IXFE said:

wel1  I just found a used 2020 56" matrix that I am picking up tomorrow ( this thread talked me into it! lol ) , it has some dents and dings  they don't look to effect the structure looks to be small indentations on top of the nose but not near the edges, anything to be concerned there? )  I am 6'3 220 so I am hoping it  will be closer to my friends53 hammerhead as far as handling. . ( I bought a phase 5 diamond 57" ) but it feels to big and not near as agile as the hammerhead. ( you guys think the matrix will give me more of that quick feel closer to the hammerhead or is the matrix closer to the diamond. ) they guy did tell me I could return it if I didn't like it and he is local.  what do you guys think? should I grab for 500$?

he also sold his 18 24mxz for a new supra that he loves after adding 1000k of lead ....( so I am not so sure I can trust him lol)

7 hours ago, smuurph84 said:

wel1  I just found a used 2020 56" matrix that I am picking up tomorrow ( this thread talked me into it! lol ) , it has some dents and dings  they don't look to effect the structure looks to be small indentations on top of the nose but not near the edges, anything to be concerned there? )  I am 6'3 220 so I am hoping it  will be closer to my friends53 hammerhead as far as handling. . ( I bought a phase 5 diamond 57" ) but it feels to big and not near as agile as the hammerhead. ( you guys think the matrix will give me more of that quick feel closer to the hammerhead or is the matrix closer to the diamond. ) they guy did tell me I could return it if I didn't like it and he is local.  what do you guys think? should I grab for 500$?

he also sold his 18 24mxz for a new supra that he loves after adding 1000k of lead ....( so I am not so sure I can trust him lol)

Yeah I’d grab it. Matrix isn’t at all like the Diamond. That’s what I was trying to explain in my last post. 56 is perfect for you. So long as the dents don’t go through to the foam you’re fine... don’t want water getting in there. 

$500 is rough considering the condition. Can you get him down a bit. Maybe $400??  I know it’s tough these days. No P5 dealer can keep them in stock.  

My Matrix had an accident and I had it repaired. Kinda ghetto but scars are cool. It’s a tool. IDGAF how ugly it is. 

F07EAC30-8B39-4C5D-B855-5290C9618A30.jpeg

10 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Here are some close ups to compare the Matrix 53 to the Diamond 54. Both of these are 2019 models, but the 2020’s are identical, just blue instead of orange 

65235B75-D4C5-43BD-A603-9B71941E1CB3.jpeg

AF0F2DBB-E46C-42A5-9A3A-28494C177285.jpeg

C5B86E1C-0B40-45A1-8992-6556753454BB.jpeg

What size Matrix would you recommend for 5'9"/170 pounds?

11 hours ago, IXFE said:

Yeah I’d grab it. Matrix isn’t at all like the Diamond. That’s what I was trying to explain in my last post. 56 is perfect for you. So long as the dents don’t go through to the foam you’re fine... don’t want water getting in there. 

$500 is rough considering the condition. Can you get him down a bit. Maybe $400??  I know it’s tough these days. No P5 dealer can keep them in stock.  

My Matrix had an accident and I had it repaired. Kinda ghetto but scars are cool. It’s a tool. IDGAF how ugly it is. 

F07EAC30-8B39-4C5D-B855-5290C9618A30.jpeg

thanks for the feedback and the info. I am going to try to squeeze a little more out of him , but like you said , finding them are few and far between. prob worth an extra 100$ not to have to look for another 56.

On 8/4/2020 at 1:52 AM, IXFE said:

That's the same size as my Diamond.  The Diamond is alot more "locked in" than the Matrix.  It's the most "locked in" skim I've ever ridden.  Honestly, that's why I bought it.  After I bought the Matrix in early 2019, I was on a trip with some buddies, and one of them had a Diamond.  I remember thinking "they look almost identical... how different can this be?"  I rode it a bunch that week and liked it alot.  It seemed just as fun to me, but also different enough to justify buying one... almost like a kinder, gentler skim.  I figured the rest of the family would like it (at the time I was trying to get them off the Ronix Carbon Powertail) and the Diamond seemed like just ticket to ease them into the fun I was having on the Matrix.  I also enjoyed it enough myself and figured it would be fun to mix it into my own rotation from time to time.  

Reasons the Diamond is more "locked in" include the fact that it has three fins (albeit very shallow) instead of one on the Matrix.  Sure, you can take two of them off, but I haven't bothered.  If I want one fin, I just rid the Matrix!  But fins are not the only difference... the tail of Diamond is more squared off giving it a bit more of a surf style feel, as weird as that is to say about a skim.  By that I mean it gains speed easier through pumping... there's just a lot more surface area in the tail.  Also, with the three fins and squared off tail, the back is A LOT less prone to sliding out as you come down the wave.  All that sounds great, but here's the part nobody in the family likes and why they've all migrated to the Matrix this season.. the Diamond pearls soooo easily.  I asked the Phase 5 rep about that he said it has less rocker than the Matrix.  This to me is the fatal flaw of the Diamond... an advanced surfer is going to prefer the Matrix.  And the pearling kinda negates the more user friend tail for the intermediate or beginner surfer.  

The Matrix on the other hand is ALL about riding the edges.  When you first ride it... the lack of tail and deep fins will expose flaws in your fundamentals. You will absolutely fall face first into the wave face several times while you figure it out.  You'll feel like Bambi on ice!  But that's why I love it.  It's such a challenge and it makes you a more fundamental surfer.  Edge, edge, edge.  Every time I slide out coming down the wave, it's a reminder... get on edge!!   After a few sets you'll start to get the hang of it.  Once you do you'll realize it's just a BLAST... so light, so toss-able, so easy to spin.  I've never rode a board before that feels like it's an extension of your legs... until the Matrix.  

I have zero hesitation recommending the Matrix over the Diamond.  It's just a better, more modern shape.  If you can find one, get one.  But that's a big IF these days.  They are sold out just about everywhere.

This is a great representation of the difference in boards.  My better half and I ride the diamond all the time.  We both love it.  However, I think that a Matrix would be awesome to try out.  I don't recall riding yours last we were together.  At the time, I couldn't surf well at all, but I now think I could hang on it.  We had a friend out who use to be Mike Dowdy's wakeboard coach and he was on an older P5, model I don't recall, but it was much like the matrix in appears and it was a challenge, but a super fun challenge.  Worthy of note, he removed the P5 fin in favor of a Ronix wakeboard fin.  His motivation to do so was to keep it from constant 360's that he couldn't stop.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:06 AM, Slayer said:

This is a great representation of the difference in boards.  My better half and I ride the diamond all the time.  We both love it.  However, I think that a Matrix would be awesome to try out.  I don't recall riding yours last we were together.  At the time, I couldn't surf well at all, but I now think I could hang on it.  We had a friend out who use to be Mike Dowdy's wakeboard coach and he was on an older P5, model I don't recall, but it was much like the matrix in appears and it was a challenge, but a super fun challenge.  Worthy of note, he removed the P5 fin in favor of a Ronix wakeboard fin.  His motivation to do so was to keep it from constant 360's that he couldn't stop.

I just did something similar with my P5 HH.  I removed the 1" fin and went with a 2".  Makes a huge difference on spins but the rideability of the board didn't change much.  I could go 720-1080 when just trying to do a 360 before.  The only downside to the HH, for me, is the squared nose.  I can nail 360s but not consistently as I either over spin the board and drop the nose trying to get on the brakes or underspin and go out the back.  The Matrix looks to be a HH without the square nose BICBW.  May have to look into that next spring when stock is back up or hope for boat show special.  

@IXFE have you ridden a 53" HH for comparison?  I too am right at the top at 185lbs.  For reference, I'm referring to the previous generations of HH before they contoured the sides as pictured

clone.jpg

Edited by wedge88
23 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I just did something similar with my P5 HH.  I removed the 1" fin and went with a 2".  Makes a huge difference on spins but the rideability of the board didn't change much.  I could go 720-1080 when just trying to do a 360 before.  The only downside to the HH, for me, is the squared nose.  I can nail 360s but not consistently as I either over spin the board and drop the nose trying to get on the brakes or underspin and go out the back.  The Matrix looks to be a HH without the square nose BICBW.  May have to look into that next spring when stock is back up or hope for boat show special.  

@IXFE have you ridden a 53" HH for comparison?  I too am right at the top at 185lbs.  For reference, I'm referring to the previous generations of HH before they contoured the sides as pictured

clone.jpg

If you are right on the boarder of the weight, don't overlook the MVP.  It was mirrored after the Matrix with a couple of minor tweaks.  It is the same overall shape.  The MVP 53" board holds 10 lbs more than the Matrix at 200 lbs.  Same light and top performance level style as the Matrix.  I just got one last week and love it so far.  I don't remember where I heard it, but I think it might have a little more rocker on the nose of the board also to help prevent the pearling.  I had more troubles pearling the Model X than I have had on my handful of runs on the MVP.  This is definitely my new favorite board.

board1.thumb.jpg.5cb643168703180e7d75df7233c71746.jpg

board2.thumb.jpg.771c673133b37d4b50b72baf490327e3.jpg

• Like 2

Not like I can find any of these, but has anyone compared the Matrix to the MVP?  I'm just under 200 and want a matrix but the 53" tops at 190 (per spec).  MVP is 200 (for the 53") and I hear its similar but more durable.  I could always just to the 56" Matrix but I'm trying to find a board I can share with my 14 year old (5'9"-160).   I have a Soulcraft S-AV but not sure surf style is my thing.  My favorite I have is the Model X but my old 58" is like a sheet of plywood (I was almost 300 when I bought it).  I have been down in the mid 180's so I could just drop those ~10lbs but that's my fighting weight (jk).

4 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

If you are right on the boarder of the weight, don't overlook the MVP.  It was mirrored after the Matrix with a couple of minor tweaks.  It is the same overall shape.  The MVP 53" board holds 10 lbs more than the Matrix at 200 lbs.  Same light and top performance level style as the Matrix.  I just got one last week and love it so far.  I don't remember where I heard it, but I think it might have a little more rocker on the nose of the board also to help prevent the pearling.  I had more troubles pearling the Model X than I have had on my handful of runs on the MVP.  This is definitely my new favorite board.

board1.thumb.jpg.5cb643168703180e7d75df7233c71746.jpg

board2.thumb.jpg.771c673133b37d4b50b72baf490327e3.jpg

HAHA - I was typing as you posted this!  NOW if I could just find one!

Edited by pauley71
39 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

HAHA - I was typing as you posted this!  NOW if I could just find one!

I looked all over also.  I got an email from evo.com a couple weeks ago stating Phase 5 boards were in.  They had both the Matrix and MVP.  Probably two days later they were all gone already.  I got mine from Wakesurf Central.

6 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I looked all over also.  I got an email from evo.com a couple weeks ago stating Phase 5 boards were in.  They had both the Matrix and MVP.  Probably two days later they were all gone already.  I got mine from Wakesurf Central.

I figured since we had basically stopped riding the Diamond in favor of the Matrix, that I would list it for sale this morning. I randomly picked $599 thinking that was maybe a bit aggressive, but whatevs. 

I got CRUSHED by messages and it sold full price two hours later. 

I’m tucking away my acorns to upgrade my quiver in the winter

This market is nuts. I’m tempted to list the Soulcraft next... 😬

F02BCF19-A12F-4FD4-8C75-1225A27CF937.jpeg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, wedge88 said:

I have not ridden the HH so I can’t comment