Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Off Season Conditioning

MALI-MONSTER

Thanks for all of your responses so far. I am definetly going to start doing some rowing and add in some of the strength training that was recommended (dead lifts, etc.). I am also going to start timing my workout so that I have intervals with 20 seconds of intense activity followed by a minute of active rest. Hopefully that will get my body used to the tempo. I am also going to look into P90X, but truthfully I am not sure that I can commit the required time.

another exercise you might include is "lawnmowers" (which is part of the P90x program). That will hit the back of shoulder and lat area (that gets so sore when you ski). I'd say you need a dumbell 50+ pounds. I'm fortunate that my youngest daughter weighs 70 lbs. She likes to curl up fetal and have me use her as a dumbell for lawnmowers. :)

...I think some serious biking would be helpful.
Its all about core strength. Biking...

:plus1::thumbup: I definitely ski better when I'm getting on my bike regularly and pounding out 40-60 mile hilly rides. :yes:

What on those girly roads.... :rofl:

Yup. On my road bike. Come on up and ride these "girly roads" ... if you're man enough. ~ 7000 feet of climbing in a 65 mile ride. But you won't, you'll just make some snide comments and try to convince everyone that "real men" ride mountain bikes. :rolls eyes:

Cadel Evans, former MTB Cross Country World Champion, stated that he returned to road bikes because it is more physically demanding than mountain bikes. But what does he know, he's just a former World Champion, surely your opinion is more valid than his. :unsure:

:lol: Ya, OK. :lol:

If you want to ride the go slow, fat tire bikes that's fine. To each his own. But the physical conditioning is in road cycling.

I just received mine today. Pre ordered in Sept.

Let me know what you think ... I hope the additional balance components make a difference for skiing ...

Yup. On my road bike. Come on up and ride these "girly roads" ... if you're man enough. ~ 7000 feet of climbing in a 65 mile ride. But you won't, you'll just make some snide comments and try to convince everyone that "real men" ride mountain bikes. :rolls eyes:

Cadel Evans, former MTB Cross Country World Champion, stated that he returned to road bikes because it is more physically demanding than mountain bikes. But what does he know, he's just a former World Champion, surely your opinion is more valid than his. :unsure:

If you want to ride the go slow, fat tire bikes that's fine. To each his own. But the physical conditioning is in road cycling.

This sounds like a typical slalom ski vs. wakeboard argument ... Knuckle dragger vs. one planker

Hook line and sinker.... :rofl:

Let me know what you think ... I hope the additional balance components make a difference for skiing ...

This sounds like a typical slalom ski vs. wakeboard argument ... Knuckle dragger vs. one planker

I'm a planker...;) So not sure who the knuckle dragger is.... :lol:

I'm a planker...;) So not sure who the knuckle dragger is.... :lol:

I'm a one planker, which I thought was a knuckle dragger too. Maybe he meant 2 planker (skier). :whistle:

I can't comment on teh skiing , but I can on the fitness. CrossFit.com, I've been doing this for about 8 months and I just ran my first 8 mile Super Spartan race last weekend (spartanrace.com). I finished 27th in my age group with a total of approximately 2,800 total participants. Endurance and core strength is what I've gotten out of these workouts so far. Both websites post WODs (Workout of the Day) so you can do these on your own if you prefer.

Good luck

I can't comment on teh skiing , but I can on the fitness. CrossFit.com, I've been doing this for about 8 months and I just ran my first 8 mile Super Spartan race last weekend (spartanrace.com). I finished 27th in my age group with a total of approximately 2,800 total participants. Endurance and core strength is what I've gotten out of these workouts so far. Both websites post WODs (Workout of the Day) so you can do these on your own if you prefer.

Good luck

:plus1: On Crossfit. It's not for everyone, but I like it. I've been at it for almost 2 years. It can be spendy, ours is $80 here, but I've heard some places are as much as $200/month.

P90X is a butt kicking workout. I did the full 90 days at 52 and got into great shape... for me. The thing is, like someone said earlier, modify, adjust, cut it back. Tony says it all the time during the workouts, do your best and forget the rest. I'm... errr. 55 now. I still do it on and off. Maybe not every day or week, but I keep pushing play and doing the workouts. I went for about 2 miles (~4 sets so to speak) I could never do that before, at least not in the last 10-15 yrs.

They also have a 10 min trainer workout that looks like it may be good to get an overall workout. I still think the flexibility part is the best thing for a skier or boarder. Yes the Yoga, it is tough and it really develops strength and flexibility. Flexibility will help prevent injuries and keep you on the water. Ok, maybe my .04 worth.

:plus1: On Crossfit. It's not for everyone, but I like it. I've been at it for almost 2 years. It can be spendy, ours is $80 here, but I've heard some places are as much as $200/month.

Or just get some basic equipment and do it at home. All the workouts are listed online for free, even most of the local affiliates list the workouts free. This is how I've been doing it since 2008. There really isn't that much equimpent needed with all the substitutions or modifications avalible. I've added on or upgraded some in that time so that I have basically everything I need now.

It pays for itself pretty fast with the monthly fees they charge. The only downside is not having the "group" to keep you accoutable and push you. I've recorded the time, reps, rounds, and or weight of every workout since I started so I can look it up when they repeat. This lets me compete against myself and it has been the best thing I've done for pushing myself in the workouts.

Posted this on another board, but if you're looking for somewhere to start on gaining strength in the gym, here you go (you can use this as a mass program too if you're eating appropriately):

Mon: Chest/Back day

Dumbbell inclines, Pec Deck (the fly machine style for all you pec dec machine haters), pull overs, low rows, lat pull downs

Wed: Leg Day

Deadlift, Inner Thigh, Outer Thigh

OR

Squats, Leg Curls

OR

One Legged Leg Presses, RDL (aka straight legged deadlifts)

Fri: Shoulders / Arms day

Shoulder Shrugs, Shoulder Press, Tricep extensions and bicep curls as a super-set, another bicep and tricep workout of my choosing also done in a super-set

Every other exercise is done as a drop set (to failure where you drop the weight at least 3 times to make yourself allowed to do more reps). Since I do every other, the opposite exercises are done as a drop set the next week (kept on a rotation).

For machine exercises, the type of bar and grip is modified every week so that I engage the muscles in a slightly different way every day. 8 weeks from now I'll be on a different routine.

This would be a good starting point for someone looking to dabble in some weight training over the winter. I can tell you right now if you eat right, you'll get results Wink

This isn't really "off-season" stuff for me though, this is what I do year round. I guess the only thing that I do that is truly off season is snowboard, but I don't like it nearly as much as wakeboarding. Hard pack is, well, hard - and snowboarding is a lot more hassle, throw on a ton more gear just to be able to deal with the elements. I'll take wakeboarding on a gorgeous summer day anytime.

• 4 weeks later...

For you rowers: I decided to add the Concept 2 rower to my routine for the first time today at lunch. What's the proper form? Do I extend my legs, then pull the bar to my chest? Or is the bar supposed to be at my chest at the same time as my legs reach full extension?

I also added some sprints to my workout to hopefully help improve my endurance. That's going to hurt tomorrow!

I think tomorrow I start a more serious, regimented lifting routine.

Gotta love the New Year and my goal to be in the best skiing shape of my life by Memorial Day! Hopefully that means I drop about 20 lbs too.

Edited by Badger

For you rowers: I decided to add the Concept 2 rower to my routine for the first time today at lunch. What's the proper form? Do I extend my legs, then pull the bar to my chest? Or is the bar supposed to be at my chest at the same time as my legs reach full extension?

I also added some sprints to my workout to hopefully help improve my endurance. That's going to hurt tomorrow!

I think tomorrow I start a more serious, regimented lifting routine.

Gotta love the New Year and my goal to be in the best skiing shape of my life by Memorial Day! Hopefully that means I drop about 20 lbs too.

There are some excellent videos on the Concept 2 webpage that show good form. I highly recommend watching them before you get to intense with it. I hit it pretty hard the first day with bad form and ended up more soar than I should have been.

It’s been a couple of months now since I have been out on my ski, and I am starting to think about next year’s season (too bad I still have a good 5 months before we will be back out in MI). In the off season, I want to focus on conditioning so I can hit the water ready to improve.

A little about me … I am a beginner to intermediate slalom skier with aspirations of being able to lay out some smooth, rhythmic cuts and maybe even end up in the course someday. I am 6’2”, 190 and ski a 69” Radar Theory behind my Echelon at 15 off and about 30 mph. At my current ability level I am crossing the wakes with decent form and speed and making good on side turns. I still struggle with off side turns and seem to get winded after about 4 passes on our lake. Our lake is pretty small and a “pass” consist of about 6 turns. To me this feels like a pathetically short time to be behind the boat before I am tired (especially for me on a 69” Theory). Last year I only skied about once every two weeks, but next year I am going to try to get out twice a week.

So here is what I want to do … I want to improve my strength and endurance so that I can stay out there a little longer and not feel it too bad the next day. I am no stranger to working out, but I am looking for some suggestions of things that people have done to specifically improve their slalom skiing. Currently, I am doing the Spartacus workout twice a week and doing a basic kettle bell routine two days a week. Each workout starts with a one mile jog. I know that there probably is no perfect workout that will replace the stamina and strength achieved from being out on the water, but what have you all done in the off season to improve your next year’s skiing?

A very good resource for working out. A lot of body weight info too.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/

If you like lifting, Squats and Deadlifts.

Badger,

Get on the C2 website asap (before muscle memory sets in). They have great videos demonstrating proper form....something you will continually want to monitor. My rower is in the basement w/ a mirror on the wall beside it (for an occasional form check).

I'm gonna PM you a bit more info.

A very good resource for working out. A lot of body weight info too.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/

If you like lifting, Squats and Deadlifts.

That's a pretty good reference.

Here's my routine:

Bench/rows

pull downs/military press

ab-roller

I warm up for about a minute with stretching, pushups, and pullups. Then I do 4 sets of each of the above, alternate bench and rows sets, and alternate pull downs and military press so there is no "down" time between sets. Finish up with 20 reps with a Walmart ab-roller, going all the way to the ground. 35 minute work out, 3 days per week. Run around the neighborhood 2 to 3 times per week, 3 to 5k depending on route & speed. Feel like a million bucks at age 42.

I work out at a gym close by my work, during a late lunch (1:30pm), so it works very well for me. Before that it was in the basement, using a weight vest for pull ups, dips, push ups and dumbells for bent over rows and military press. That was a good work out too, but I got sick of the basement environment and it was hard to carve out any time to do that once I got home.

I do not slalom regularly, but working out consistently like that provides me with all the strenth I need for wakeboarding and footing.

I'd offer Crossfit for consideration, but my critique of Crossfit is that it is so intense that most folks can't or wont stick to it. I think Crossfit athletes are the best and truly most well rounded on earth. ESPN2 has had the Crossfit games on their scheds for the last few months and those folks are amazing.

http://crossfit.com/

Just like shooting, the "best" handgun out there for self defense is the one you are going to hit the bad guy with 1st shot in the face, each time every time, whether its a .22 or a .45. Not too much else matters, as long as it is accurate and dependable.

The"best" workout for any individual isnt necessarily crossfit, circuits, marathons or any of the others. The "best" workout program for any indidvudal is one the individual will stick to CONSISTENTLY over a period of MONTHS and YEARS, and has them moving towards their goals. Also, captures the other critical factors: solid Diet, flexibility and injury recovery if applicable. This workout should increase overall fitness, be healthy, prevent injuries and overall increase your quality of life.

I have been in the Army for 16 yrs and been in what I consider decent fitness levels most of that time. About 8 yrs ago started getting more serious, and about 3-4 years ago went bats*** crazy into it largely as a result of stressors, not even much related to fitness. Currently I workout on average 6-7 days a week for about 60-75 mins daily. Lots of pullups, dips, freeweights, lunges, head to toe type approach. Specific fitness goals have always been hard for me until 2 yrs ago, I was doing an exchange assignment with the USMC, and my goal was to max both of their fitness tests with room to spare. I went after that with everything I had and havent stopped that level of intensity since.

I currently have a membership to Anytime Fitness. By far not a perfect gym, B level gym at best, but its is like 2 mins from my house and always open. Availability and convienience have proven to be HUGE factors for me.

I usually workout in the 4-8pm timeframe during the work week depending on when I get off work and finish with family duties, and usually mid afternoon on the weekends. Yes I workout on boating Saturdays and Sundays, sometimes early AM prior or late PM that evening.

If you are trying to get yourself serious about fitness you gotta think in these terms if you expect to have any lasting results or a program that you can stick to for longer than 6 months:

1. Why am I doing this? What do I want to look like or be able to do?

2. What type of workout do I enjoy(or if not enjoy, can I do without being miserable)? For me I hate Legs. Squats, lunges, deadlifts etc etc. Never enjoyed the pain that comes along with these workouts or the 3-5 days following. I dont inherently enjoy doing cardio. I force myself thru these and noy enjoy the challenge, although I still hate them. I know they are good for me.

3. What are the things that make it more enjoyable? Ipod, busy Gold's type Gym or basement gym, alone or with partner or in a group.

4. Can I think of other reasons I will benefit? Stress and rage relief, quasi meditation ie gives you time to sort out daily or significant issues out while working out. Gives you time to cool off and arrive home relaxed vs pissed. Long term quality of life, self esteem etc etc.

5. How am I willing to change my life to make any of this happen? Will I make a commitment to eat healthy? Actually show some discipline in what I eat and drink? Will I stop being lazy and dedicate 3-6hrs weekly to this? Regardless of work, issues, TV shows and everything else?

I have learned more about eating healthy from my monthly Muscle and Fitness magazine than anywhere else. With that, you get a monthly reminder to stop being lazy, new workouts, and a ton of other stuff.

I really need to educate myself on how "heart rate" effects training, exercise, and sports. Can anyone recommend a rudimentary article or link on "Heart Rate 101" or "Heart Rate Monitoring for Dummies" ?

TIA

Try skipping! I do it for boxing and use interval style training. It kicks my butt every time! I swear by it. :rockon:

AKA Jump rope

Edited by New2Texas

I really need to educate myself on how "heart rate" effects training, exercise, and sports. Can anyone recommend a rudimentary article or link on "Heart Rate 101" or "Heart Rate Monitoring for Dummies" ?

TIA

All you really need to know is ignore the "Cardio" and "Fat Burning" labels on the machines in the gym.

Thanks guys...I hit the C2 web-site and also find that nerd fitness website fascinating.

Is anyone here on that Paleo-style diet? I knew a guy at work that was doing it and had lost something like 30lbs in 4-5 months. But he was sort of a wacko, so I dismissed his ideas.