Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1989 Sunsetter Rehab

Scott N

I highly recommend the Pertronix kit with a Flamethrower coil. I've put one in both Malibu's I've owned and my antique truck. All three rock.

It might not be a bad idea to contact a local sign shop and see what it would cost to make the OW decals. I bet they could crank out a set cheaper than paying someone to paint the logos by hand plus they could keep the files to make replacements if you need them. I think after polishing up the gel it would be hard to keep paint from chipping off.

Love the pics. There's nothing like a great project. Thumbup.gif

Here's some new pics with the carpet and flooring in.

Sweet project bro. I have the same boat and am doing some repair to it as we speak. I could use all that your doing, but I'm not willing/able to invest that much money into it. Instead I'm going to just rebuild the bow seating(seats broke from water damaged coupled with too many bodies up front) and cut out a soft spot in my floor in the back.

We already removed the bow seating and cut out the bad wood in the rear. Problem is the wood was so badly damaged that we can't accurately measure it. What I need though is a measurement for the wood in the bow seating. I'm guessing/hoping you wrote it all down when you rebuilt the front??

Also from the picture it appears that you left out the front lip of the bow, which is where I had a lot of damage. Was this on purpose?

What I need though is a measurement for the wood in the bow seating. I'm guessing/hoping you wrote it all down when you rebuilt the front??

Unfortunately, I don't have measurements for you. Sorry. I used the old wood as my template. The new bow wood doesn't fit all that well. The picture is deceiving because you cannot see the small areas where things are not lined up properly. The imperfections are probably something that most people would not notice if I carpeted over it, however, I would see it all the time and it would bother me. So I am going to get it fixed and done right. I am looking into building the seat frames from plastic instead of wood. I'll post information when I learn more about the plastic option and have details. :)

Also from the picture it appears that you left out the front lip of the bow, which is where I had a lot of damage. Was this on purpose?

I have the wood ready to go for the lip, but I did leave it off on purpose. It makes it easier to get the wood in/out for the various adjustments that you'll need to make once you have the rough shape in place.

What kind of wood did you use? Also did you use bendable plywood or did you just force it?

I used 1/4 inch plywood and nailed it in place with a 16g molding nailer. It's thin enough that it bends.

Edited by Scott N

None of that is good news.........

Really need a template,

super perfectionist so I would notice gaps,

and 1/4 seems way thin.

We give this classic a BEATING!!!

Can you measure the unit that you did build?

and 1/4 seems way thin.

I thought the same thing when I dismantled mine. The 1/4 inch is only on the backrest areas where the wood needs to bend to match the contour of the base. If done right (including the resin process) the 1/4 inch ply should be fine.

Can you measure the unit that you did build?

My bases don't fit correctly so my meaurements would be wrong. It's also not trivial to measure all the bevels and angles. I don't have the right tools to do this type of measuring. Even if I did, I am a total amateur and would struggle to do this for you. I really do wish I could offer you more help as I think the spirit of these forums is to share in the give/take among the different members.

My suggestion would be to do the best you can with the old wood as your templates.

1/30/2013: Updated link to pics. All pics combined into one Web album.
https://picasaweb.google.com/115611970306715909734/1989SunsetterRebuild02?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMygpoDa0IXD9QE&feat=directlink

Homemade dashboard finally done. Took a few days and I have a new respect for the many uses of a Dremel.

Also got the new steering cable and rotary helm installed this week.

Making progress... :thumbup:

Edited by Scott N
  • 3 weeks later...

Have not posted for a few weeks. Lots of work done. Engine started up with a little help from some starting fluid. Had the shop do a full service on the engine and then drain it for winter. All new control cables installed. New sending unit in the gas tank. New temp sender. Wooden dash built. New wiring hooked up. Switches wired and working. Gauges in. And it all works...!

Waiting to hear back from Chee about building new interior. As it sits now, the boat is 100% usable after the interior goes in. Boat is in dry storage for now and then off to Chee as soon as I connect with him. No pics today, will post some next time (hopefully with interior done).

Can't wait for summer... :whistle:

Haven't been here in a while. Your project is flying by! Nicely done. Feels good to get the nasty stuff done, eh? Looks fantastic.

The dash and interior redesigns were by far the most fun for me. You're at the good part.

Haven't been here in a while. Your project is flying by! Nicely done. Feels good to get the nasty stuff done, eh? Looks fantastic.

The dash and interior redesigns were by far the most fun for me. You're at the good part.

Exactly! It was a big milestone when the gauges and accessories were hooked up and I fired the engine. Just hearing it run made me realize I actually had a running boat, not just a project. I have been trying to get in touch with Chee and he seems busy. I am anxious to meet with him and get the interior laid out and in progress. Other than that, I have small cosmetic stuff to wrap up and it's ready for prime time. Thanks for the note!

Exactly! It was a big milestone when the gauges and accessories were hooked up and I fired the engine. Just hearing it run made me realize I actually had a running boat, not just a project. I have been trying to get in touch with Chee and he seems busy. I am anxious to meet with him and get the interior laid out and in progress. Other than that, I have small cosmetic stuff to wrap up and it's ready for prime time. Thanks for the note!

Awesome man. I'm looking forward to seeing the interior come together. Is the outside getting a wetsand/polish and new decals or are you keeping it old school?

Awesome man. I'm looking forward to seeing the interior come together. Is the outside getting a wetsand/polish and new decals or are you keeping it old school?

Yeah, definitely wet sand. I already did a trial run. I lightly hit the gel coat around the transom with 800 paper. I followed it with the rotary wheel using 3M rubbing compound. Came out ok. Could be better but I was nervous and didn't want to go too hard. I'll do the full hull in late spring. Don't want to do it all now and then have the boat just sit. I'm hoping to go old school on the graphics if I can either get new vinyl stickers made or possibly have them painted on. That will also come in late spring.

Oh since you are local then I'd hit him up to install the skins too... unless you want to do it. :) I'm a few hours from his shop and that was money well spent. Drew up the designs, picked out the colors with him at the factory, he had suggestions to modify a few things, and then we left him the boat with the rebuilt seat structures unattached. He (and at least one other helper) pretty much did the rest. The difference between getting new skins and having them installed wasn't as much as I'd expected so it was a no brainer. Installing covers might be easy... I've never done it... but I know lots of people here have. But with all the mods it was worth piece of mind to let the pros do it. Just thought I'd share that if its an option for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh since you are local then I'd hit him up to install the skins too... unless you want to do it. :) I'm a few hours from his shop and that was money well spent. Drew up the designs, picked out the colors with him at the factory, he had suggestions to modify a few things, and then we left him the boat with the rebuilt seat structures unattached. He (and at least one other helper) pretty much did the rest. The difference between getting new skins and having them installed wasn't as much as I'd expected so it was a no brainer. Installing covers might be easy... I've never done it... but I know lots of people here have. But with all the mods it was worth piece of mind to let the pros do it. Just thought I'd share that if its an option for you.

Scheduled to meet with Chee this weekend and have him look over the boat. He says he can build the new bases from plastic. Looknig forward to this final step. Everything after the upholstery is just cosmetic. So close to the finish line... :thumbup:

Edited by Scott N

Any new pics that you can post to show us how the boat is looking now? Its been a while and I think I can speak for everyone that we are itching to see how she's looking!! :rockon:

Any new pics that you can post to show us how the boat is looking now? Its been a while and I think I can speak for everyone that we are itching to see how she's looking!! :rockon:

I don't have anything new at the moment. I will snap a bunch this Sat and post them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry I didn't post up more pics last week. The pics you have all seen thus far are pretty much everything I have finished to date. The only work I have not documented is some initial wet sanding and buffing on the transom. I have a lot more work on the wet sanding and will share pics when I get back to it.

Regarding the upholstery, Chee ended up rescheduling the 2/25 appt and I dropped the boat off this past Sat 3/3. Here's a pic of some misfortune on the 2-hr drive to Chee's shop. This happened about 2 miles from a tire shop so I hobbled in and got a new tire put on. Was back on the road in about an hour.

post-17756-0-70971000-1331055740_thumb.j

The boat is with Chee and his partner for a month at Chee's new shop. Chee does the padding and vinyl and his partner does the plastic seat bases. I gave the guys several different interior examples on printouts with my written notes. We talked for about an hour, looked over different vinyl samples, etc. I gave them the general direction I want to go and then we agreed that they will surprise me with some unique touches. They were both great to work with on the consultation and I left with the sense that they were pumped to get to work. I can't wait to see the finished product. Will post pics in late Mar/early Apr when it's all finished...

Edited by Scott N
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry I didn't post up more pics last week. The pics you have all seen thus far are pretty much everything I have finished to date. The only work I have not documented is some initial wet sanding and buffing on the transom. I have a lot more work on the wet sanding and will share pics when I get back to it.

Regarding the upholstery, Chee ended up rescheduling the 2/25 appt and I dropped the boat off this past Sat 3/3. Here's a pic of some misfortune on the 2-hr drive to Chee's shop. This happened about 2 miles from a tire shop so I hobbled in and got a new tire put on. Was back on the road in about an hour.

post-17756-0-70971000-1331055740_thumb.j

The boat is with Chee and his partner for a month at Chee's new shop. Chee does the padding and vinyl and his partner does the plastic seat bases. I gave the guys several different interior examples on printouts with my written notes. We talked for about an hour, looked over different vinyl samples, etc. I gave them the general direction I want to go and then we agreed that they will surprise me with some unique touches. They were both great to work with on the consultation and I left with the sense that they were pumped to get to work. I can't wait to see the finished product. Will post pics in late Mar/early Apr when it's all finished...

Haha. Chee did the same with me. He made everything look the way I wanted except for the sides, where he pretty much "refused." He said "trust me" it'll look better my way. He was right. Right on.

Haha. Chee did the same with me. He made everything look the way I wanted except for the sides, where he pretty much "refused." He said "trust me" it'll look better my way. He was right. Right on.

Funny you should bring that up. There was a point in my discussion with Chee where he basically said "don't worry, I am the man and I will make it look good." I'm paraphrasing, of course.

Just a little teaser...the bow is not going back in as original. It's going to be something like a VTX bow.

martinarcher

Funny you should bring that up. There was a point in my discussion with Chee where he basically said "don't worry, I am the man and I will make it look good." I'm paraphrasing, of course.

Just a little teaser...the bow is not going back in as original. It's going to be something like a VTX bow.

Sweet - I can't wait to see it! I bet when you get it back it will be hard to even remember that blown tire. Thumbup.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing the bow! Sounds awesome!

• 2 weeks later...