Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1989 Sunsetter Rehab

Scott N

Until you stated where you bought it I was convinced this was the sunsetter I sold to a guy in the dakotas and I was pumped to see progress pictures. It's uncanny how similar our two boats were we had all of the same issues down to the black painted bow rails. Uncanny. BTW - NICE progress my man. You are booking.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Going with the updated spotter seat was a no-brainer after I saw it on Matt's 89. It was a great mod when rugger did it and makes perfect sense. That OE split seat was just not practical.

The other mod I am stoked on is the bow cut-outs. It will add storage and hopefully look nice.

Have not heard from Chee for a few days. Hoping the work will be done in the next week or two. :thumbup:

Those look awesome man!! You have to be happy with how they look! Your going to be cruising in style this summer thats for sure man! How much is left to do on the boat? Just upholstery or is there more?

Its looking great man! :rockon:

Edited by 1985Skier

How much is left to do on the boat? Just upholstery or is there more? Its looking great man!

Upholstery and more. Wet sanding. Cleaning up the new wiring. Finishing wiring the multi-function gauge. Installing the amps, subwoofer, and speakers. Polishing bow rails. The list goes on. I figure I will be using the boat starting in early May but continuing to work on small stuff throughout the summer.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Chee does great work. Can't wait to get the boat back and start enjoying some water time.

Looks great. Really like the change in the bow. Feels like a new boat, eh?

For sure. I showed my wife the pics and she said 'that looks like a completely different boat.'

Based on Chee's email today he said it should be finished by the 14th or 15th. Can't wait to see it in person for the first time. :thumbup:

Edited by Scott N
martinarcher

Very nice. I really dig the change to the bow back rests. I like how you'll be able to get to you grab rail bolts from the bottom through the access hole. Chee is the man. Very cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Upholstery is done. Picked it up yesterday from Chee and was able to get on the water today.

Chee did a fantastic job on everything. Very high quality work. Extremely tight tolerances on piping seams, excellent stitching work. I couldn't be happier with the results. Check out the pics.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Edited by Scott N

Looks great man! Chee definitely did a great job on all his work once again! Looks like you and your family is going to enjoy and make tons of memories on that boat!

So we had a hard time getting the boat started last time we took it out. It actually died on us a few times and we ended up getting a tow back to the marina. It has been in the shop for 3 days getting the engine and other mechanical stuff worked over. Here's a list of what has been done. Hopefully she runs great next time out!

Symptom: Very anemic cranking even with brand new deep cycle marine battery.

Issue: Starter was worn out.

Fix: New starter installed.

Symptom: Volt meter reading was low when engine running.

Issue: Alternator not putting out.

Fix: New alternator.

Symptom: Engine not firing easily.

Issue: Points.

Fix: Install Pertronix 'Ignitor' in place of points

Other work that's getting done includes setting up the dual battery system, installing the Faria multi-function, compression test (which passed with no issues - phew), install new blower and vent hoses (old one was not working), all new battery cables, checking and if needed re-doing packing for shaft/stuffing box (lots of water coming into bilge).

I'm thinking this is the final step to having a reliable, running boat.

Awesome looking interior man, where are the updated pics of the outside?

Thanks. Outside still not done. Have not really touched it given the other work to get her up and running. Hoping to do more over the summer and slowly work the gel back to life. I also talked to the guy at vinyl approach and he can reproduce the old school stickers when I'm ready. Here's the link if anyone's interested. I think he has older model skier stickers already available. http://www.vinylapproach.com/replacementboatlogos.htm

Symptom: Stuff goes wrong

Issue: Need to replace stuff

Fix: Get out the wallet

:)

Your boat looks really sweet! That last pic you posted is just awesome - that smile is precious! :thumbup:

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Symptom: Stuff goes wrong

Issue: Need to replace stuff

Fix: Get out the wallet

So true. :lol::thumbup:

Your boat looks really sweet! That last pic you posted is just awesome - that smile is precious! :thumbup:

Thanks!

The new skins look great! I've talked to Chee and he will definitely be doing mine when its time for new upholstery. I'm in the process of a refurb on a 85' Malibu Skier and just completed a wetsand with updated malibu decals and cf#'s and really like the new look. Your pics look like the delta...??? If you live near Brentwood give Sign Pros a shot at making you up some decals I am really happy with what they did for me and very reasonably priced. Keep up the nice work...gotta love the ol' Bu's.

I can send you some pics if your interested.

Elyk40, you should start a thread on your rebuild and post pics so we can see the befores and afters. I have a 1985 Skier too.

• 9 months later...

omg..just read through the whole thread..amazing work brutha and I am truly amazed how she turned out...I see you are out in the Delta too..i hope to see you sometime because I'd like to see first hand that beauty! I loved what you did to the interior front end too! I just picked up a 93 Echelon LX and after using it this season i'd like to redo some of the interior...I really like how you expanded the spotter's seat and want to do the same as well as do the front like yours!!! great job man!!