Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Vehicle

Rover1

Im with the idea of buying your MB for your everyday driver. Pick up a used crew cab truck or suburban or expedition, whatever, to tow with. I drive a half ton silverado and am seriously considering buying a 3/4 ton for my next truck. Sure, the 1/2 pulls the boat fine, but there is NO comparison to how a 3/4 ton tows. Starting, stoping, every aspect of towing is more solid. I would never consider towing with a vehicle that is rated under the weight of my boat.

In the past two years, I have had too many "that will never happen to me" events happen. And when they do, they are non-reversable.

Wise words for sure. Thumbup.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jetskipro550

• martinarcher

• Bozboat

• Rover1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you guys understand that a lot of foreign owned car manufactures make more of their cars and components here in the US then the Big 3? My 'foreign' Tundra is assembled in Texas and more then 80% of it's parts are made here in the US as well. Can't say the same for any Dodge or GM truck 1/2 ton. Just because a company is American owned doesn't mean that the product they are selling was made here or that the product creates jobs here.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind on this issue so this is the last I'll say about it. Hi-jack over

True, but you're taking all the profit and sending it overseas which is far more money than the labor rates that those foreign manufacturers are paying. Secondly, a lot of foreign manufacturing facilities are non-union, and pay very little. How many people do you know that have an American auto manufacturer in their 401k? A ton. Look if anyone is an Ayn Randian capitalist, you can't be also be a protectionist, and I currently own a foreign car, but there's much more to the equation than justifying buying foreign because its assembled in America. To hear some people knock American quality is funny. 3 of our last 4 cars have been American and we have been exceptionally happy with all.

As to OPs decision, I would not suggest overloading.

True, but you're taking all the profit and sending it overseas which is far more money than the labor rates that those foreign manufacturers are paying. Secondly, a lot of foreign manufacturing facilities are non-union, and pay very little. How many people do you know that have an American auto manufacturer in their 401k? A ton. Look if anyone is an Ayn Randian capitalist, you can't be also be a protectionist, and I currently own a foreign car, but there's much more to the equation than justifying buying foreign because its assembled in America. To hear some people knock American quality is funny. 3 of our last 4 cars have been American and we have been exceptionally happy with all.

As to OPs decision, I would not suggest overloading.

Thanks for all of your help, we really wanted the 350 MB, but due to the towing weight we passed. As for the Q7 very spendy but an awesome vehicle. We test drove them, and could not find a local used that fit the bill. Our vehicle that our friends totaled was a 2002 Discovery with only 70K miles on it. It was in awesome shape, so we looked and looked and found a 2004 Discovery with 70k miles as well. This one is rated for 7500#s and checks out very well. Thanks for all the input, we plan on driving this one for a year or so then upgrading to the Q7...just cannot see having a payment at this point so need to wait until we would not.

I drive a Toyota Sequoia and I love it. It is US made I would say get a 08 and up you can get the 5.7L (400+hp) and 6 speed tran fits 7 Biggg people and you want know the boat is back their. If you want a nicer ride look at the Land Cruiser not US made and back seat not very big but a good way to spend a extra 20K. Great family ride and will last. I looked on consumer report. It is the best $5 you can spend.